For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[Spoiler] PB42: Rusten and mackoti play Krill playing Bismarck of Portugal

I thought barb cities were coded a little differently than rival AI cities, because I too often see them placed in particularly stupid places completely ignoring things like seafood in a way the normal settling AI would never do. Seeing one pop up for only the corn in 1st ring would not surprise me in the slightest. Don't know the actual code, just based on experience.

I've so much to catch up on as I was busy for the holiday period. Nothing else to add right now.

(January 5th, 2019, 11:49)Krill Wrote: I thought barb cities spawn on blue circles: in that case I'd expect overlap with the marble and/or the fish. Is this understanding wrong?

Dunno. But then I also don't know where the blue circles are!

Like I said, probably just pointless rambling.

Well, I'll accept that it could be a barb city down there.

Checking old pictures puts the gems barb city as being founded on turn roll of 77 through 79. So if that is a barb city, it popped later and therefore may have warriors or archers to defend it.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

And it's not pointless rambling.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Turn 86

Short report today. Nothing interesting occurred as far as I can tell. OH didn't take another city, DZ did a single triple whip on T85 so might be about to lose another city. DZ always builds an early game wonder and then dies to someone. He really needs to ded lurk a vet in one of these games, or get one to shadow him and push his decision making, but he never reports his games. That's his failing though.

No seafood on the previously unexplored tile 3W of the City Z sign so the dot map holds.

Exploring east. Work boats are to make contact with individuals, follow uip galleys with scouts and sentry chariots are to fin in the map. Go far before barb galleys start showing up.

I may have miscalculated on Alphabet ever so slightly, but when I move a city without a library to make 2 commerce per turn extra, Alphabet is still 3 turn tech. Capital changed to make 2 commerce per turn extra and it is a 2 turn tech. With that in mid, the capital growth, Alphabet will complete next turn but it may delay the library in LBJ a turn and the settler in MtK was delayed a turn (which I wanted to do anyway), and/or JJ can work two furs next turn and delay growth by a turn to complete the workboat on schedule (would have spent one turn extra at size 4 rather than size 3 but no effect on the worker, and BCR can use the extra food and move off the worker, which is helpful). Also, going to finish with about 15 gold in the bank, so if anything the slider should have been 10% higher last turn, but I'm not seeing this as a mistake, just micro changes.

Top soldiers is getting stupid: someone is broke.

Turn 87

Getting into Squeaky bum time now.

Another Hello occurred last turn, but after we played: We met Donovan

Now, Donovan could not have come from the north to end with the orientation that the work boat has, otherwise I would have seen him when I played T86. I think he came from the west of hte island, or SW, made contract with the portrayed scout, and back tracked this turn to try and hide the point of contact. Not that any of this matters as he is going to die to OH in the next 30 turns and I'll never get a trade route to him.

not that it matters because he only has 3 cities:

We know that DZ lost a city to OH, but I can't recall him losing any more cities. How do you only have 4 cities by the mid T80s anyway? Sure, he went for Oracle before a settler (I think) but still. We can also confirm that he has HR, doesn't mean he took Monarchy from Oracle but any other choice would appear stupid.

All these recent contacts doesn't change the EP decision to get research visibility on OH before going back for graphs with others. About 5 turns to go?

I reconsidered the approach here. I've moved one worker forward, and then seen there is a chariot in the city, so promoted our chariot to C1 to cover. I've already put the worker on road, showing 3 turns to completion. OH is smart enough to be able to read that this is not an attempt to invade him (and also paranoid to think that I'm just disguising an invasion, but not terrified enough to attack the chariot IMO). Next turn he will log in to an OB offer, and he will then understand I want the trade route as I lack Sailing (this will require a jump to understand we lack Sailing, but he should realise we haven't had a reason to tech it, and then the shit might hit the fan): If OH has an overseas city, he may not want to give us OB if he thinks we get commerce from it. He may also not want to allow us to scout him out (funny if he states this in his thread given his original scout movements). But I'm going to be as forward as possible with this OB offer.

The counter point to this situation is shown by the next screenshot:

superjm will be in a position where he needs to declare war to enter out borders on T89, so we may have to offer him OB. I expect us to play after him, so he will likely see the offer on T89, play it, enter our borders and get the trade routes himself. We would not get them until we got Sailing. It's fairly obvious to me that we have to go Sailing next, it's worth 14 commerce per turn to us. I expect to get it no later than T92 just via breakeven tech without research buildsGoing to save gold after Alphabet, and turn tech on once the per turn accumulation of research builds and scientist beakers gets it to a 1 turn tech. I'll guess eot90 and OH refusing OB because if and when he does I'm going to be pushing the research builds.

Of course, this could be a galley holding 2 preats coming to raze my cities. If that is the case Aint Misbehavin is razed and TX will probably fall as well, depending on combat rolls. So not thinking about that.

The corn is hooked. OH settled this area. Except he didn't settle cities on either T82 or T83, so that doesn't fit. Lewwyn settled a city on T83 though? WTF? I need to get a unit down here to figure out what is going on. Do barb cities spawn with workers?

OH has power, he isn't double mine so he isn't top power, but he has enough units to done some damage to DZ. Not in position to hurt us for a while so not unduly concerned. I do need to get sentries out, and more exploring units, and city garrisons. This phase of the game is always so much fun. I hope OH just accepts OB so we can both shove units in each other's front cities. Pretty sure that favours him at the moment, but when you consider the scouting that should allow us to do it's a double edged sword.

We might be the first team to Alphabet. But other players must have gone for MC, IW, HBR or whatever.

(January 7th, 2019, 11:03)Krill Wrote: The counter point to this situation is shown by the next screenshot:

I think this is the wrong screenshot; assume you're looking at the West where the OH/Barb/confusion city sits?

Actually that is intentional ordering, talking about OB in both instances. The western weirdness is just something I don't understand.

(January 7th, 2019, 12:42)Krill Wrote: Actually that is intentional ordering, talking about OB in both instances. The western weirdness is just something I don't understand.

Huh, I could have sworn that paragraph about superjm wasn't there when I first read the thread.

Does look to be OH though. Perhaps he settled SW of the missing Forest with a Missionary to push borders. That would grab the Fish second ring - & maybe there's another seafood S of the jungle hill - (or he already had the Fish in borders from a city to the West and swapped it over), and explain the odd ordering of the chop-Farm. Planting there would let him split off the FP into a separate city and plant a front city somewhere around the Peak....?

Actually, looking at the full map, front city only makes sense on the forest hill 2E of the Peak or if he's feeling aggressive, on the hill 1W of the Corn...