Realms Beyond Forum

Full Version: [SPOILERS]Greetings, traveler.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

First time playing a PBEM, first time playing quick speed. Let's see how this goes. Let's go for a Hearthstone naming scheme, probably harder to run out of names for cities the way I have for PB22.

Password:

rome
Here's your start, enjoy:
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0855.JPG]
4: FIN
3: EXP, India, Inca
2: CRE, SPI, IND, ORG
1: IMP, PHI, Agriculture Civs
0: CHA, AGG, PRO, All other civs

Some thoughts on the points system.

Overvalued:

FIN: FIN is good, but you can only get a crappy trait to pair with it.
India: Why would you pick India for fast workers, when the same points can get you cheaper workers and cheaper granaries and mostly like better techs as well?
Inca: Why would you pick this when you can just get CRE and an Agr civ for the same points?

Undervalued:

PHI: PHI is not the best but it's at least on par with SPI and IND imo.
CRE: Like I said if the Inca is worth 3 how is CRE only worth 2? Probably more have to do Inca being OV instead of CRE being UV.

So some combos I'm think about:

Zara of Sumeria
Victoria of Mali
Sury of Mali
Mehmed of Mali
Peter of Sumeria
Exp Inca would be overpowered if Inca was 2pts
Why would Exp Inca be overpowered when other people can play Sury?

Exp Inca=Sury Lite
Went with Sury, with both TT and Alhazard both going with late game economic leaders. I felt it would be boring to do the same, so I went for fast early game leader.

In Hearthstone terms, everyone's playing greedy control decks, we will look to exploit them by playing face hunter.

Ignore wonders/first to bonuses and just REX(xar).
This is base BTS? Holy smokes, Sury of Mali is a hell of a pickup!!!
(May 3rd, 2015, 21:34)GermanJoey Wrote: [ -> ]This is base BTS? Holy smokes, Sury of Mali is a hell of a pickup!!!

Yep, base BTS. I think other people really missed out by picking slower leaders. Look at this:

That's over 220 land tiles per player. That's like 20 cities uncontested. Early snowballing will be huge assuming I don't go broke early.

Settle the cap:

and Cre border pop after T1:

I believe it's better to improve the deer first despite the wheat being a better tile. Don't have to waste a worker turn walking to the wheat and the camp completes 1 turn faster than a farm. Teching Agriculture then Hunting, doesn't matter the order because both completes on turn 8 anyways.

Random guess: the plains tile NW of the wine is a strategic resource.
(April 29th, 2015, 10:19)Gawdzak Wrote: [ -> ]CRE: Like I said if the Inca is worth 3 how is CRE only worth 2? Probably more have to do Inca being OV instead of CRE being UV.

It's not that CRE is worth 2 and Inca is worth 3. The implicit claim of the points system is that CRE is 2 point better than CHA (no one should pick AGG or PRO of course), while Inca is 3 points better than e.g. Mongolia. In the case of inca you are getting the culture almost for free, while in the case of CRE you are getting it (and cheaper libraries etc... and it's a better version) instead of an entire other trait. If you could buy CRE as a third trait it would cost 5. Inca's bonus is less good than that.

I would say though that Inca is overcosted in this points system by 0-1 points (it's not a very granular system). I erred on the side of making Inca not show up when deciding on the numbers, because there had been a lot of games with Inca already.
Here's update of some kind after 50 turns.

Overview:

Settling patterns goes: Dr.Boom>Ragnaros>Sylvannas>Jaraxxus>Thaurissan.

Jaraxxus is normally quite far out for a 4th city, but the grass gems really makes up for it, the happiness and commerce were a big boost.

I'm still not quite used to quick speed, the cities grow too fast for everything to line up properly for me.

In other news, Khan(De Gaulle/India) built Stonehenge and Alhazard(Roosevelt/Dutch) built the Great Lighthouse, no surprises given their civ/leader picks.

I manage to get circumnavigation for whatever that's worth, did let me hook the fish at Sylvanna one turns sooner though.

Here's a suggestion to map makers: give players at least 3 hills at their capitals. Without enough hills, I really feel limited in terms of micro and strategic decisions.

Long term I'm mostly concerned about Alhazard with the Great Lighthouse since there seems to be enough island for a lot of internal ICTRs and he seems to be keeping up quite well in the early game (from the demos I suspect he got an extra food resource at his capital). TT and Khan seems to be behind because of an early war it seems, I wonder what happened there. There's enough land on this map that going to war this early would simply be counter-productive.
Pages: 1 2