Realms Beyond Forum

Full Version: Round 2 map (spoilers)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Rough draft done. Tried to give them a much more random feel. I might get slated but essentially it was sinking enough land to even it up, making sure all strat resources are accounted for each and some rough happy rebalancing. Starts are designed off the random generator to be fairly similar. Also made everyone access a large ocean whilst giving them all fairly easy access to each other.

Combos will be given to choose from too so no balance issues re copper caps and zulu.

Any suggestions?
If you're able to post some screenshots I could take a look. Not at a civ-capable computer currently, and when I am I tend to be too busy with my own game to look at stuff like this.
(October 19th, 2016, 12:05)scooter Wrote: [ -> ]If you're able to post some screenshots I could take a look. Not at a civ-capable computer currently, and when I am I tend to be too busy with my own game to look at stuff like this.

Here's the imgur link. 

All caps are on the same body of water, toro map. In a kinda diamond shape so all should border all. Starts a little uneven, compensated for in other ways IE beuro niceness or luxes

http://imgur.com/a/VqCWg
Total map unfairness (standard deviation in weighted land quality): 293
Player 0
Napoleon of Japan
163 land tiles.
(109 grass, 42 plains, 5 deserts, 7 tundra, 0 snow. 44 forests, 3 jungles, 0 flood plains, 0 oasis. 24 hills.)
4456.4 total land quality.
16.57 average land quality.
604.5 total food potential.
2.25 food per non-ocean tile.
148.0 total hammer potential.
0.55 hammers per non-ocean tile.
459.5 total commerce potential.
106 coastal tiles.
43 ocean tiles.

9 strategic resources (2 uranium, 2 oil, 1 aluminum, 1 coal, 1 copper, 1 horse, 1 iron).
7 happy resources (1 incense, 1 sugar, 2 fur, 1 spices, 1 wine, 1 silk).
23 food resources (4 cow, 1 sugar, 2 rice, 4 pig, 1 sheep, 2 clam, 3 fish, 1 deer, 3 corn, 2 crab).
25 health resources (4 cow, 1 sugar, 2 rice, 4 pig, 1 sheep, 2 clam, 3 fish, 1 deer, 1 spices, 1 wine, 3 corn, 2 crab).
Player 1
Tokugawa of Carthage
139 land tiles.
(104 grass, 26 plains, 3 deserts, 6 tundra, 0 snow. 38 forests, 0 jungles, 0 flood plains, 0 oasis. 33 hills.)
4144.6 total land quality.
18.67 average land quality.
550.0 total food potential.
2.48 food per non-ocean tile.
153.0 total hammer potential.
0.69 hammers per non-ocean tile.
401.0 total commerce potential.
83 coastal tiles.
71 ocean tiles.

9 strategic resources (2 iron, 1 ivory, 1 oil, 1 copper, 1 aluminum, 1 coal, 1 uranium, 1 horse).
6 happy resources (1 ivory, 1 silver, 3 dye, 1 silk).
18 food resources (4 fish, 1 wheat, 3 cow, 3 corn, 2 pig, 2 clam, 2 sheep, 1 rice).
18 health resources (4 fish, 1 wheat, 3 cow, 3 corn, 2 pig, 2 clam, 2 sheep, 1 rice).
Player 2
Ragnar of Khmer
146 land tiles.
(80 grass, 52 plains, 6 deserts, 7 tundra, 1 snow. 39 forests, 1 jungles, 1 flood plains, 1 oasis. 35 hills.)
4137.8 total land quality.
20.09 average land quality.
512.0 total food potential.
2.49 food per non-ocean tile.
191.0 total hammer potential.
0.93 hammers per non-ocean tile.
393.0 total commerce potential.
60 coastal tiles.
89 ocean tiles.

11 strategic resources (2 aluminum, 2 iron, 1 horse, 2 coal, 1 oil, 1 uranium, 1 ivory, 1 copper).
4 happy resources (1 gems, 1 silver, 1 spices, 1 ivory).
16 food resources (3 crab, 3 cow, 1 rice, 4 sheep, 1 fish, 2 clam, 1 wheat, 1 corn).
17 health resources (3 crab, 3 cow, 1 rice, 4 sheep, 1 fish, 1 spices, 2 clam, 1 wheat, 1 corn).
Player 3
Genghis_khan of Egypt
160 land tiles.
(102 grass, 50 plains, 2 deserts, 4 tundra, 2 snow. 48 forests, 5 jungles, 0 flood plains, 0 oasis. 40 hills.)
4408.4 total land quality.
16.27 average land quality.
692.0 total food potential.
2.55 food per non-ocean tile.
196.0 total hammer potential.
0.72 hammers per non-ocean tile.
521.0 total commerce potential.
111 coastal tiles.
113 ocean tiles.

9 strategic resources (1 ivory, 1 horse, 1 aluminum, 1 copper, 1 iron, 2 oil, 1 coal, 1 uranium).
7 happy resources (1 whale, 1 ivory, 1 silk, 1 sugar, 1 wine, 2 gold).
25 food resources (1 whale, 4 sheep, 3 fish, 6 clam, 3 crab, 1 sugar, 1 banana, 1 corn, 3 pig, 1 deer, 1 wheat).
25 health resources (4 sheep, 3 fish, 6 clam, 3 crab, 1 sugar, 1 banana, 1 corn, 1 wine, 3 pig, 1 deer, 1 wheat).
(October 19th, 2016, 02:33)ReallyEvilMuffin Wrote: [ -> ]Rough draft done. Tried to give them a much more random feel. I might get slated but essentially it was sinking enough land to even it up, making sure all strat resources are accounted for each and some rough happy rebalancing. Starts are designed off the random generator to be fairly similar. Also made everyone access a large ocean whilst giving them all fairly easy access to each other.

Combos will be given to choose from too so no balance issues re copper caps and zulu.

Any suggestions?

Had a very quick look and played a few turns with Japan. Not bothering to do a really thorough analysis or anything, but some impressions:

Generally like the ”random/natural” layout of the map.
Personally not much of a fan of some of the unnatural resources on the map such as ice gold or tundra dyes and generally would prefer bigger patches of different temperature zones instead of current chaos, but don’t think these players will mind (unless that’s why one of the players originally wanted a flat map).

Japan:
I had difficulties in making the exploration keep up with expansion, but not sure that’s a bad thing.
Strategics all easily obtainable.
Only has furs for early happy while most other have two. Seems to have to prioritize early monarchy for both wines and HR.

Egypt: Seems to have a slightly harder time of getting a good second city than most others. 3N an alternative, but for copper you almost have to settle 3N1W from capital or wait for ages to feed the city with lighthouses lakes.
Gold is workable, but you might consider a better food resource there to encourage outwards settling? 
Would consider removing the jungle from the phants for earlier access to happy.

Carthage: 
Best capital food and good expansion prospects up north.
Food for horses not the easiest, but definitely enough alternatives for it not to be a problem.
Expectation: Will expand rapidly towards Khmer and that’s where we’ll see the first conflicts in the game.

Khmer: 
Capital possibly slightly weaker food wise than others.
Strategic resources all very well placed.
Could feel like he’s getting squeezed by Carthage and don’t have good options for expansion?
(October 19th, 2016, 14:33)taotao Wrote: [ -> ]
(October 19th, 2016, 02:33)ReallyEvilMuffin Wrote: [ -> ]Rough draft done. Tried to give them a much more random feel. I might get slated but essentially it was sinking enough land to even it up, making sure all strat resources are accounted for each and some rough happy rebalancing. Starts are designed off the random generator to be fairly similar. Also made everyone access a large ocean whilst giving them all fairly easy access to each other.

Any suggestions?

Had a very quick look and played a few turns with Japan. Not bothering to do a really thorough analysis or anything, but some impressions:

Generally like the ”random/natural” layout of the map.
Personally not much of a fan of some of the unnatural resources on the map such as ice gold or tundra dyes and generally would prefer bigger patches of different temperature zones instead of current chaos, but don’t think these players will mind (unless that’s why one of the players originally wanted a flat map).

Japan:
I had difficulties in making the exploration keep up with expansion, but not sure that’s a bad thing.
Strategics all easily obtainable.
Only has furs for early happy while most other have two. Seems to have to prioritize early monarchy for both wines and HR.

Egypt: Seems to have a slightly harder time of getting a good second city than most others. 3N an alternative, but for copper you almost have to settle 3N1W from capital or wait for ages to feed the city with lighthouses lakes.
Gold is workable, but you might consider a better food resource there to encourage outwards settling? 
Would consider removing the jungle from the phants for earlier access to happy.

Carthage: 
Best capital food and good expansion prospects up north.
Food for horses not the easiest, but definitely enough alternatives for it not to be a problem.
Expectation: Will expand rapidly towards Khmer and that’s where we’ll see the first conflicts in the game.

Khmer: 
Capital possibly slightly weaker food wise than others.
Strategic resources all very well placed.
Could feel like he’s getting squeezed by Carthage and don’t have good options for expansion?

Thanks. The unnatural resources are all from the script. I changes the starts, added in strats a few happies and sunk land to make it even.

Japan should have had ivory somewhere. I will add that. 

Ivory can be camped even with a jungle on it. I will check to see whether removing would be a good idea. 

I'll perhaps beef a second city site for egypt.

Khmer was intentioanlly a little expansively weaker as has a better beuro cap possibility. I'll look over later to make sure they aren't too squeezed.
Pick list

Wang Kong Pro/fin of Spain myst/fish
Mehmed Exp/org of Natives fish/agri
Monty agg/spi of England fish/min
qin pro/ind of India myst/min
Ghandi phi/spi of Dutch agri/fish
Ragnar agg/fin of arabia Myst/wheel
Brennus spi/cham of Celtica myst/hunt
washington chm/exp of Greece fish/hunt
Juils Imp/org of Carthage fish/min
Hasi cre/spi of byzantium myst/wheel
Tokugawa agg/pro of Inca agri/myst
Suliman phi/imp of Maya myst/min
Louis cre/ind of Portugal min/fish
Kubli agg/cre of eithiopia
Mainly for the players after - I kept the random layout that was given. I liked the idea of everyone being on the same sea so edited it accordingly. Some people might end up only having 2 borders, but they will have a long sea border too.

Carracks could be really useful on the map. There are some Astro only accessible islands I added in of decent value. 2 with a central plains hill, 4 whales at the diagonals, and 2 plains incense, plains stone and marble. All jungled. Made even more important as they are the only ICTR options available. I hope they will realise islands are available at this when they don't uncover stone/marble on scouting.

I thought if he gets to carracks the mix of ind and only stone/marble makes up for the so so traits especially as he probably will only get 1 type of metal easily for the forges.
Caps are moderately equitable I hope they agree. A weaker cap means more luxes and resources.
The map was very nice, thanks a lot REM !
Pages: 1 2