Realms Beyond Forum

Full Version: RE: [SPOILERS] Pindicator conquers the world with B Movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
[Image: 20078fd6c7aca17c7aacbdf87808c230.jpg]

Hmmm.... now I just want to make cities with names that are Ash quotes from Evil Dead and Army of Darkness :lol:
Some civilizations I'm considering right now:

Aztecs - spam entertainment and arena UBs for faith and GG points. Use amenities and GGs for army, grow tall and prosper. Find a way to abuse the builder ability

France - seriously, how has this civ never been picked yet? Grande Imperiale is +10 over a musket, and another +10 on the same continent. Wonder bonus right when you want to start building wonders and when they get good. Free spy before anyone else can build them.

Spain - conquistadors aren't all that exciting (would rather have French muskets), but the bonus yields on trade routes are something I'd like to mess around with. Unfortunately this is very map dependant, and if we do end up with a continents script than I believe you only see different continents on different landmasses. Perhaps a naval idea of pushing for early armadas and then conquering cities on another continent,  but this feels like a very narrow road to hoe.

Kongo - with how religion has become in for the RB meta, maybe we bank on someone nearby getting a religion and a good founder belief. Then i realize that founder beliefs are the worst bucket ...

Any others I should consider?
Ded lurking and France.
Yeah, let's do France. We'll have some fun with it.

Do you think we need to fill in 5 more picks? lol
Full list sent :

1. France
2. Aztecs
3. Spain
4. Arabia
5. Norway
6. Kongo
Just one boosted chateau in each city and I think you'll hav a strong culture output.
C'mon, guys, France? lol
Absolutely France!

I think France was not taken in earlier games while other weaker civs like India and Norway were experimented with because we originally had games ending in earlier eras, and France's bonuses were both seen as weak and occuring too late to have any impact. But now we're seeing the RB game knowledge and meta evolve to where people are more competently defending and developing economies and decisive battles are coming in Regaissance or even Industrial/Modern ears (see PBEMs 4,5, & 7).  Counterpoint:  TheArchduke loves to war often and early and he is in this game!
So specifically why do I think France at least deserves some attention?

1. Garde Imperiale - 65 strength musket that is 75 strength on it's starting continent.  Keep in mind that we're playing on a Continents script, and one thing I've seen with continents is that typically each major landmass is in fact a full continent.  If we can channel our PBEM5 luck with continents then a gunpowder beeline is going to be VERY strong - as 75 strength muskets will be facing off against crossbows and knights if we've developed properly.  Considerations go to God of the Forge for getting lots of warriors out early on to serve as eventual Garde upgrades.

2. Free great spy at Castles tech.  I honestly don't know how much of an edge this will be in multiplayer games.  The first use I can think of is this will be a free siphon of gold from a rival so helping me raise money for Garde Imperiale upgrades and slowing down an opponent's gold generation as early as Castles.  They will not be able to match that for some time and they will actually have to spend the 225 hammers to build a spy, so I have a suspicion this could be one of those advantages that help tip the scales in the long run.

3. +20% wonder production in Medieval, Renaissance, & Industrial eras, and there are lots of solid wonders to chose from: Great Zimbabwe, Ruhr Valley, Oxford There are all the additional policy slot wonders: Alhambra, Big Ben, Potala Palace, Forbidden City.  Even Venetian Arsenal, if it wasn't banned.  In a game setting, the timing here is likely to be right around or after the Garde Imperiale push.  And we aren't grabbing all of those, just targeting 1 or 2 depending on the game details.

Ideally I would have liked to play France in a Rise & Fall game where the extra diplo vision could also translate into combat bonuses for units.

I don't harbor any illusions about France - it's a B list civ.  But that's why I picked the theme for naming cities after B movies!  In other words, I know what I'm getting myself into, just like I did with America in PBEM5.  I'd just rather prefer to play something untried than something I know is a winner.
(May 18th, 2018, 02:22)Krill Wrote: [ -> ]Just one boosted chateau in each city and I think you'll hav a strong culture output.

My problem with chateaus is that they still come fairly late in the tech tree. I think Humanism falls around 120s or 130s -- around the same time when we want to be making the big Garde push. I think chateaus will help with late game culture generation, but we're going to have to do things the regular way (or luck into a Nan Modal, Valletta, or Kumasi city state) with regards to culture.
Garde Imperiale is not a musket. It's one of those pesky no-upgrades-into units, like the Samurai and the Rough Rider. It requires Military Science, i.e. Cavalry tech, not Gunpowder. It costs 340 hammers (musket is 240) and it counts as an Industrial unit, so you need that civic card. And being melee, the unit is very slow.

Most medieval-late wonders suck (Ruhr costs more than 1000 hammers, for +1 hammer per mine - that's a payoff of what, 200 turns?) and if you decide to build one, is likely better to do chop tricks, which means the 20% boost is worthless.

Chateau comes right when culture stops being so important (likely after the 6--slot government).

Can't really comment on spies, as I rarely played with them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18