For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Unable to build colony ship

for some reasone i am unable to build colony ships

i tried building my first one andit was set for 7 turns ot build.
every turn it tweak  the CB going into building it to the minimum to keep it going down 1 round per round. and thereby squeezing out a bit more factories
however going next turn on the turn where it says 1 turn remains give me no colonyship and it just counts down again from 8
- I've tried delaying it a round same results
- ive tried making an additional colonyship and then changing the production over to this one  but it did not help

anyone running into this issues befre

running with the unofficial 1.4 patch
dosbox 72
windows 10

--- edit ---
it was me all along I was applying productivity to def and not ship
muscle memory with Alzheimer
Im so embarrassed and still laughing at myself

Attached Files
.zip   SAVE6.zip (Size: 10.61 KB / Downloads: 0)

Definitely sounds odd. Were any other ships produced anywhere on the same turn? Did you see the usual 'ships produced' info screen with the end turn?

(September 27th, 2020, 03:06)haphazard1 Wrote: Definitely sounds odd. Were any other ships produced anywhere on the same turn? Did you see the usual 'ships produced' info screen with the end turn?

This is my only ship being build by me.
The  new fleet screen did not pop up it was like it just never happened.
ive tried restarting dosbox but the same issue so i know the issues is present in the actual savegame (attached in OP)

the only other potential information i could think that was important was that i deleted all saves gamer in the master of orion folder "del save*.gam" before starting Master of Orion

Hopefully someone more knowledgable about the game's inner workings will comment. I am just an amateur at digging into MoO bugs.

(September 27th, 2020, 11:18)SvenBent Wrote: the only other potential information i could think that was important was that i deleted all saves gamer in the master of orion folder "del save*.gam" before starting Master of Orion

I would not expect this to cause problems. The game does keep a save file in the seventh save "slot", which is used if you choose the continue game option in the main menu rather than loading a specific save file. But that file is not required to be present, and should not affect what happens once a save file is loaded anyway.

so ive been experimenting a bit more

started a totally new game.  setting eco to just not create waste and  put all remaining cb into making a colonyship right of the bat.
no colonyship nor new ship screen

ok new experiemnt
downloaded a new copy version 1.3
copied my save games over
starte the ggame and tried to load but would not show load screen ( the load options is lit up though and can be clicked).
updated to 1.40m version
still will not show the actual selection of saved games to load.

ran md5 check on all files. 3 files stood out
 1 erro.log (0 btyres) was only in my old installation folder
 2 ship1.gif ( anti copy protection) was only in my old installation
 3 config.moo was different

Copied config.moo over
game load screen will now show
delete config. moo
game ask to run installer
ran installer and started games
game load selecton screen will not show

for some reasone the config.moo file has to be identical fo me to be able to load my old games (makes no sense to me)

ok the config.moo file is getting weird

even setting the new install to the same settings with install.exe as the old installation the game with not load
ONLY if i copy over the  config.moo from my old game to the new will it load

AND if i have copied over the old config.moo file. i cant build colonyship in new games

i finnaly deleted the old config.moo and receated it with install.exe in the old installation and boom now i cant load my games in the old installation either
something with conifg.moo make the save games work/notwork

i deleted config.moo from both installat
opend 2x dosbox and made sure to set  both games up identical with install .exe
again unable to load old games but  if i starte a new one  I CAN BUILD COLONYSHIPS AGAIN

Config.moo for some reason made my save games weird and blocked building colony ships
that is so Flipping weird but now it works on both installations so i guess i just have to start over

ok so now that i know config.moo is the root of not beeing able to build colony ships i started playing around.

restore the corrupted config.moo file
started new game as klackon ( to build faster)
verfied unable to build colonyships
after that shifted productivity to other ships. they do not produce either

started new game
sat again prodcution to build ships but this time scouts.
noticed that no matter which ships i selected it wuld say 0 as numbers of ships to be producent and the timer would always be 5 years
the ship production function is definitely destroyed from this corrupt config.moo file

since i know old games made with this weird config.moo does not load in working versions
i wonder if they will load reveds. aka games made with a fine config.moo will load with the corrupted one

things changed again and im a bit loss

so i restored te corrupted config.moo
after deleting it and deleting the savegame files
starting dosbox
running install.exe to create a new config.moo
starting the game

im still unable to build sihips.

it worked before i restored the weird config.moo file

the even weird part

changing over to starting the new installation of moo that has not been touched since it worked.... does no longer work.
this was started in 2 different dosbox sessions.

im at a total loss i got the game to work on both of them undid the fix one one of them and both broke even though they were never even ran in the same dosbox session

i just did a 3rd install of moo
unzipped version 1.3
unzipped patch 1.4m into the new folder

same exact issue
i have no clu what it can be anymore

The config.moo file has the names of the saved games ( the name you type when saving).

If you copy your saved games to a brand new installed version of moo it won't work. You would need to install the game, start a new game, save it six times (one time in each slot) and then copy your saved games on the folder. Then it will load your games, altough not showing the original save name.

Now, not being able to build colony ships is really weird and I have no idea why it's happening