For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Unable to build colony ship

(September 27th, 2020, 17:37)SpaceOWL Wrote: The config.moo file has the names of the saved games ( the name you type when saving).

If you copy your saved games to a brand new installed version of moo it won't work. You would need to install the game, start a new game, save it six times (one time in each slot) and then copy your saved games on the folder. Then it will load your games, altough not showing the original save name.

Now, not being able to build colony ships is really weird and I have no idea why it's happening

i can for 100% inform that that is not the truth
i can copy save games between different installations just by copying the save*.gam files
config.moo just contains soundcard setup.  deleting the file and recreating does not make you lose saves game or names as well
but i totally understand why you would think this withy my above description of the problem

buti figured out my bug
my master of orion has a small "bug"  im not sure how widespread it is but i know its eriosn 1.2 1.3 and 1.4m

when you apply productivity to a process. and this is very important and you might maybe recognize this but you have to have played the game ALOT to really get this next part.
when you apply said production. again very importain. when you do
to build a ship you have to aplly it under "ship" if you like me apply it under "def" you will in fact NOT get any ships build when this counter hit 0 yers
NOR will it change the number of years it takes when you change the ship type for the planet NOR will it change the number of ships you make when you increas/decrs productivty in the "def" field

what... are you saying this is not some kind of super secret ???
wait im just a huge flipping embaressed idiot. duh bang rolleye rolf

OK i can accept that...

so yeah nothing to see herei.  blaime my headdeach and that my brain is blown out from studying for my ITIL exam.

Glad to hear you got things figured out. And learned some things about the MOO config file along the way, even. That's something, right? lol

Now that you can build colony ships, it is time to take over the galaxy. nod

Sorry for hijacking a similar thread; it does not seem to be possible to open a new thread.

Playing MOO1, just two weeks ago I played my regular end-game scenario where I run around bombarding enemy planets to ashes.
Then in the next game a very odd problem started to occur (at least in the next end-game, I don't recall mid-game): I could not bombard a planet from the orbit (except very rarely).

The ships do have bombs (in the latest attempt 10+ neutronium bombs), so the planetary shields should not be a problem, and the ships can bomb down the bases in space combat, but the option for "Bomb" / "Cancel" does not appear.

Any ideas?

This started occurring with 1.3. Also tried kyrub's patch, no luck. This has occurred in multiple games now. So there's little point in playing now.

Hi, pjs! Always good to see new people posting in the MOO forum. smile

Not being able to bomb the planet from orbit sounds like something is going on with the diplomacy, maybe? But if you are fighting the planet bases in combat then you should be able to bomb the planet once you have broken through and control the local space.

I think creating new threads may require having been a posting member for a while? Maybe one of the board admins can confirm.

(December 13th, 2020, 00:31)haphazard1 Wrote: Not being able to bomb the planet from orbit sounds like something is going on with the diplomacy, maybe? But if you are fighting the planet bases in combat then you should be able to bomb the planet once you have broken through and control the local space.

The game thinking of being allied might be a possibility, but in this case I'm in Final War (this has also happened without it). I'll attach a save if someone has ideas or can somehow find out more.

Attached Files
.gam   SAVE7.GAM (Size: 57.65 KB / Downloads: 2)

pjs, I loaded your save and saw the same issue you described. Very puzzling. frown I can bomb a planet during combat, but there is no option given to do so at the normal point after gaining space superiority and before invasion. Final war is in progress so there should not be any diplomatic reason like a NAP or alliance to prevent the bombing.

What was you diplomatic situation with the Klackons before Final War was declared? Did you have any treaty or agreement with them? Maybe the final war process was bugged somehow and some diplomatic flag carried over? I don't know, but it is definitely a bug of some kind.

I hope I'm not too late to help here: Believe it or not, you just didn't bring enough bombs! Your enemies have 38(!!) layers of shields at their bases and missile defense (which also applies to bombs) of 10! Neutronium bombs are strong enough to get through all that and damage their bases (especially with your powerful targeting computers) but they cut way down on your damage; your attacks have to do more damage than you've got on hand to start destroying factories and population. The game therefore calculates that orbital bombardment won't do anything much and doesn't give you the option.

In the save game you provided try this: Design a Small sized bomber with Ion engines, Maneuver 6, one Neutronium Bomb, and nothing else. Build them with all available resources on all three worlds, relocing to Centauri. After just one turn, you should have enough to do the job: Send them down to Draconis, and (if you clear the enemy fleets) not only will the game will give you the orbital bombardment option, but choosing it will destroy the entire colony!

There may be some kind of bug with the details of damage calculation here, maybe relating to the efficacy of targeting computers, but it's definitely possible to bombard enemy planets in that save - once you gather a strong enough fleet!

Very interesting, RefSteel. I did not realize that the game would not show the bombing option if you can not do enough damage; I thought it would just do nothing when you tried. Now I have learned two new things about MOO this week. lol

Space superiority at Draconis is very possible, I did it with the given save and the ships already available when I was testing.

(December 22nd, 2020, 06:48)haphazard1 Wrote: Very interesting, RefSteel. I did not realize that the game would not show the bombing option if you can not do enough damage; I thought it would just do nothing when you tried. Now I have learned two new things about MOO this week. lol

Space superiority at Draconis is very possible, I did it with the given save and the ships already available when I was testing.

I usually run into this issue if I get in an early hot war with Laser Fighters (small maps get crazy). Either because they can't deal 100 damage, there's no factories on the world to blow up, or the enemy got Deflector II.

I'm not sure if this was the actual problem. Browsing at 1oom's bugfix list it appears that you just can't do orbital bombardment in original MOO1 (the same with kyrub's patch) with the weapon in 4th weapon slot; my neutronium bombs were on the 4th slot and the rest were useless for bombarding shielded planets.

See orbital_weap_4 in https://gitlab.com/Tapani_/1oom/-/blob/m...pbxnum.txt and line 34 of https://gitlab.com/Tapani_/1oom/-/blob/m...ame_bomb.c