I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

PB57 Organizing Thread

(December 18th, 2020, 17:32)Cornflakes Wrote: Thanks for the starting screenshots Noble! Regarding play order:

(December 2nd, 2020, 16:11)Cornflakes Wrote: Quick note on play order based on past experience with Civ 6 PBEM ... Pindicator gets home from work right as I am getting ready for bed. With Pindicator > Cornflakes order we regularly had 8+ hour gap and almost never double turns. That being said, the overall turn order proposed is likely the best for locating everyone into consistent 1T/day windows. All this to say let Gavagai pick whether long-term he would like to play in the gap before me, or after.

Gavagai, any preference for playing before or after me?

No pressure to start the snake pick. I would like at least tomorrow to think through the start (considering that it is like 30-50 turns of a normal game all being played on T0 nod).

No preference. I work in academia which means (in my case, at least) I need to be on the workplace for a few hours per week. Beyond that, I am at home or in the library and able to play. Unless, of course, something unusual happens but in that case there is no way to tell when I would be able to play.
This brings me to a second point. Can anyone explain to me again why we are doing a sequential pitboss? The only advantage of a sequential pitboss is the technically enforced double-move rule. But double-move problems could easily be avoided by observing don't be a dick rule and, to my knowledge, none of the players here ever had problems with it despite the fact that we all have a considerable record. On the other hand, even a slight change in routine for any od us - something which would definitely happen to me because I plan to do some travelling in the next few months - would put the entire game on a lengthy pause. So - why are we doing it to ourselves?

Sequential means production happens when you click the red button, not when the turn rolls, so there's no benefit to being second in turn order in a war. Also it's a bit of a change to see how we like it.

The plan is to switch on t30 though, so we should be able to have a good turn pace up to that point.

(December 20th, 2020, 08:37)Old Harry Wrote: Sequential means production happens when you click the red button, not when the turn rolls, so there's no benefit to being second in turn order in a war. Also it's a bit of a change to see how we like it.

Does not it just mean that there is a benefit to being first? Because of promotions? Or am I missing something?

Think of it as a PBEM - so promotions, pillaging and production all happen inside your turn, then it's everyone else, then back to you.

If you're earlier in turn order you might win what would have been a coinflip on wonders and you're effectively a turn more prepared then the opposition in warfare. I was wondering if it was worth trying to offset that advantage with the snake pick somehow?

(December 20th, 2020, 08:37)Old Harry Wrote: Sequential means production happens when you click the red button, not when the turn rolls, so there's no benefit to being second in turn order in a war. Also it's a bit of a change to see how we like it.

The plan is to switch on t30 though, so we should be able to have a good turn pace up to that point.

Also keep in mind that we should be able to switch back to simultaneous if required.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

I've been assuming we go 5432112345 pick order, but we could go 5432154321. 

Also worth noting that going later in the turn order does get you a few extra known tech boni.

(December 20th, 2020, 09:18)The Black Sword Wrote: I've been assuming we go 5432112345 pick order, but we could go 5432154321. 

Also worth noting that going later in the turn order does get you a few extra known tech boni.

I was thinking about 1234554321 as there's a benefit to picking with less gap, but I guess there are a couple of Civs that are likely to get picked first. 5432154321 would be fine by me.

Personally I think 1st and 10th pick would be better than 5th and 6th. In a larger game someone might steal part of your synergy pair but it seems unlikely with only 5 players.

I'm most in favor of whatever gets the game running. smile I guess we should have included snake pick order in the settings vote. So can everyone vote for their favourite of 

something else.

My vote is 5432154321.

I’m fine with anything for snakepick order, looks like vote for 5432154321 will give us critical mass so I’ll vote for that.

And turn order is confirmed:

1. Pindicator [5pm - 9pm Pacific / 0100 - 0500 UTC] although I can most likely fit it in throughout the work day
2. Cornflakes [6-9 am Eastern US / 1100 - 1400 UTC]
3. Gavagai 05:00 - 21:00 GMT
4. The Black Sword 1700-2300 GMT (I'm pretty flexible about playing before that these days)
5. Old Harry [1900-2300 UTC]

I’m ready to get this started.