Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Cornflakes] 57 Christmas Treats That Will Make You Hungry

dancing  dancing  dancing  dancing  jive  jive  jive

Golfclap

Very nice! How are you planning to use the early machinery?

Also, may I nominate 'White Christmas' as an Australian Christmas treat?
Past Games: PB51  -  PB55  -  PB56  -  PB58 (Tarkeel's game)  - PB59  -  PB60  -  PB64  -  PB66  -  PB68 (Miguelito's game)     Current Games: None (for now...)

Water mills primarily in the near term. 2/2/1 tiles are really strong, and I want to get them down early so that I can convert to Serfdom for the bonus hammer and make them 2/3/1. Food is typically seen as the supremely sought-after yield, but games are won with hammers, and especially with the Slavery nerf in RtR. Hills will mostly get windmills for the bonus commerce, and Serfdom makes them as productive as mines... I’m planning to time a GA to convert right as I discover Feudalism, and nearly every land tile in my empire (except a few grassland vanilla cottages) will get both a bonus hammer AND commerce so that will be huge.

Mid-term Machinery is a high-cost prerequisite on the Guilds line and taking it with Oracle will boost me along that path.

(February 20th, 2021, 20:10)Cornflakes Wrote: I mis-clicked the whip, totally did not intend it (and I didn't even know that I clicked on the whip button, except that I saw my city was a pop lower). I reloaded.

This misclick whip has been bugging me, but I think I may have figured out what happened. The whip occurred when I intended to end turn. I had completed all my moves and mico for the turn (which really wasn't much, I played in about 7 minutes and spend half of that time on the demographics and graphs screens). After panning around the map one last time I clicked what I thought was the red End Turn button, and then started going through the cities to swap a couple tiles around for my micro and to assign newly grown pop. Oddly, the cities hadn't grown as they should have. I escaped out of the city screen and looked around, and that's when I saw my capital was a size smaller and I had whipped the Armory that I was dumping hammers into while growing back to size 4.

Today I loaded up a quick test game for PB59 now that the picks are in ... and while blowing through some quick turns I almost did another mis-whip! When you click on the city title bar from the map view to highlight the city only (not double-click to open the city), the governor panel with the emphasize yield button and whip/draft buttons is activated for that city ... and the whip button is glowing red and just slightly offset from where the End Turn button sits. I bet while I was panning around the map and ready to end turn my mouse click for panning landed on the capital right as I decided that I was satisfied and I then just hit the glowing red button without realizing it was the whip button instead of End Turn.

I have fallen behind a little in development due to my Oracle play. But I have 2 cities founding in the next 2 turns (8 total), and 3 more workers finishing between last turn and next turn. I left one tile un-busted and of course a barb warrior spawned there. Fortunately I had just whipped a spear in anticipation of the TBS peace treaty expiring. 5XP AGG spear vs. barb Warrior should be a done deal, but I have a warrior as insurance.

My pop is very low right now due to recent whipping of workers and settlers. But I have granaries in all cities except Caramel Popcorn and the island city (which gets whipped in 2 turns). I have space for about more 2 nice cities, one glorified fishing village, and one border buffer city. I have a strong happy cap and a lot of room to grow. The plan for all these upcoming cities is to put a chop into granary and whip 2>1.

Gavagai just researched sailing and has a port on my northern sea so I picked up Archery in order to get a cheap universal defender in my border cities there. Tech path from here is undecided. I could ...
• pick up Math + Currency for 1100 beakers. The typical economic play, and hopefully I get one or two people to open borders and fill out trade routes (or get embargoed due to my FIN trait and Oracle > Machinery scaring everyone).
• go direct to Guilds for 3000 beakers ... but the landform with choke points supports stable borders. The military advantage when eventually declaring war needs to be decisive.
• hit the top of the tech tree for wonders and/or Music Artist.
• aim for ultra-early Astronomy (bulb) and amphibious swords by 1AD smoke
• shoot for Monarchy + Feudalism ASAP and launch a GA with plans to hit Civil Service by the end to get into mid-game civics Hereditary Rule/Bureaucracy/Serfdom/Organized Religion?

I really don't know where I'm headed. I'll save gold while considering the options.

Can you write something how you would make use of the Astronomy option?

(February 24th, 2021, 12:16)civac2 Wrote: Can you write something how you would make use of the Astronomy option?

We have sea borders with all players and a fairly tight map. 4-move galleons can fork many cities, and attack out of the fog. Plunder and burn hammer hammer I could certainly decimate the coasts of at least one or two rivals. But the problem is that I will not be strong enough to fight against the whole world at that point, and the investment on that tech path will slow development in other areas.

I suggest ending turn by pressing Enter rather than clicking in the future.

TBS completed The Great Lighthouse. That is a big pickup for him, I would even say essential. He put it in the same city as Stonehenge so we will have a chance for a lower-odds GMerchant to boost early research. PBSpy shows a significant in-turn score decrease for TBS last turn so it looks like it may have been a 4-pop whip? That seems rather extreme and would require a pop-8 city. Sometimes PBSpy will register whips in quick succession from different cities as a single score decrease so that could be the case.