Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[PB57] Pindicator searches for his mascot

I'm going to use this space to say how stupid this whole lets be a concurrent Pitboss until we're not setup is.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Cornflakes landed the game's first religion

Considering his extra commerce from the 2c trade routes, that explains how he was able to get ahead to Mysticism & Polytheism both. Do I need to be concerned about Stonehenge from him? Perhaps - but going for the early religion is kind of solving the border pop puzzle for him - and he's already AGG so he wants to build Barracks for culture, not care about monuments. I don't think he's a threat.

I also either forgot that i needed to bring down another worker or just plain didn't track my worker turns right and it turns out I can't finish Stonehenge eot31 as planned. The chop doesn't come until t32, and so I need to hope for the wonder to last another turn. There's no way to whip or do anything else - the next closest worker was too far away to get to the last forest that we need to chop down.

I also whipped my first granary - a 2p whip at Ace Purple. We'll grow right back and then whip out the next settler from that city.

Demos look solid.

Not too worried about being last in power. I just got graphs on Cornflakes and he and OH are both within spitting distance of my power. More worried that I'm not getting the next settlers out fast enough.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Me in the tech thread right now: popcorn

I wish I had started a betting pool on how many reloads this would take. What are we up to right now? 3? 4?

Anyway, I've been grinding away at Path of Exile maps. Picked up a Stormfire (allows all that Archmage support lightning damage into count for Ignites, which gives me a lot more burning damage) and Searing Touch (lots more burning and fire damage), so my DPS is looking good now. Burning dps bounces between 200k-300k depending on which buffs are up. I've used that to get up into the higher tier reds, but now I'm running into problems with stun lock. Especially on Conqueror influenced mobs - doubly so with Sirus. I had heard of reports of Sirus mobs being overtuned but yikes. I'm now dying enough that my leveling progress has halted at 92. My issue is stun and I need to research how to get better stun resistance with this build. I'm not sure if I try Sirus straight away or if I back off on content a bit and try to level up first. I've never actually beaten Sirus before.

EDIT: Sirus kicked my ass. Haven't figured out how to dodge his die beam and also dodge the spinning beams.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Well it's unfortunate but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with what we're trying to do. It's just bound to cause problems when one player is not reading the forum even though that is an implicit prerequisite of playing the game.

No, it's overly complicated and entirely unnecessary. If we wanted sequential we should have started sequential. This is just stupid.

Also, I have no idea if would have been in a coin flip for Stonehenge had I not messed my worker micro, or if I would have lost anyway because this null turn nonsense. In any case i didn't get it:

I also did my part for trying to get Gav's attention.

EDIT: The fact that I was a so close to having Stonehenge potentially be a 50/50 as opposed to losing it due to turn order is another reason why this is stupid.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Well I wasn't talking about whether 30 turns of simultaneous turns was worth it for the hassle of switching. I just mean the idea of playing some portion of the game under simultaneous and then switching to sequential - I'm saying there's no inherent problem with that. Whether 30 turns was worth it is not my judgment to make and I honestly don't see any problem with playing an entire game under sequential so my judgment may be different from most people's.

Also you had told me that you had beaten Sirus before. crazyeye

So like I said before, we lost Stonehenge. And perhaps i could have continued to squeeze out borderless cities until I got to Code of Laws, but I decided (panicked?) that I needed to solve my border popping problem, and since I had some spare cash on hand we were going to burn it and try to land Buddhism. Perhaps I should have pushed farther for Judaism and Org Rel? I'm still going to want an early Org Rel after all.

Ace and Benny both have granaries now; Cecil will whip its next turn and Dooley & Eutectic will be shortly following. Then it's time for more settlers. OH & TBS have leapfrogged my early city lead and both have 6.

Demos still look nice.

Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Whipped 2 more granaries this turn, 1 to go.
Buddhism landed at end of turn, and came in at Dooley.

I think this is a good location because north seems to be the way I should expand. Settler started at Benny, and we'll start another at Ace when it hits size 4.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Not much new to show, so just a word report. I got horses down by Cecil, and improved them this turn. Keep going back and forth about improving furs for happiness or pig for food at Dooley and now I'm back to furs first. As for tech, I decided to go for Priesthood next. I'm not going to try for Oracle - unless I think I want another gold infusion. But I think I want to spend my hammers on some units now. No, Priesthood is to get a temple and a priest running somewhere - I want to get that religion shrined as quickly as possible.

The area in my last screenshot is where I feel the next big land grab is going to be and i want to get my settlers up that way. In fact, I may delay the super food spot to my east just so I can stake more out in the north.

Demos are still good. #2 in food behind OH, and in a game with TBS and OH I'll take that. MFG needs some help, but my GNP seems good.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Settler finished out of Benny and now that city is growing. I've given Benny the Sheep, taken it off the Silver, and it's building an axe while it grows. OH has smartly grown tall with this small map and currently leads the way with a 7-pop capital. My goal is to get Benny to size 8 within 10 turns. Too many good tiles. I probably didn't appreciate the combination of abundant good tiles + happiness crunch as much as I should have. If I ever get a religion spread the Benny may not stop until it hits size 10. We'll see.

Sailing is the tech choice because it's a de facto Currency (+1c to all cities) at a quarter the tech cost. We're going to have Ace whip+chop out a galley after its settler and settle the island - it will need a fishing boat for the island as well. Btw, another resource that was just outside our vision which would have changed a lot of decisions. However I don't think that one is as upsetting as the silver.

I'm going to stake a little land in the north:

But it's going to be tough to grab it all fast. So I'm going to use my current settler for the #1 spot, which will give me a central control. Upside is that this makes it hard for anyone to come south. Downside is that they literally have to go through me if they want to.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player