For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[PB57] Pindicator searches for his mascot

Also, is that a flood plains grassland down by the sheep?
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Yeah, that's supposed to be a normal grassland. I PMed Ramk to see if he can fix.

So I'm actually a little disappointed by the silver. First, it's in the BFC of where you obviously would want to put a city so by keeping it hidden until the city is planted all we're doing is ensuring that planning time is wasted. I guess I could have considered putting the capital 1N if i had known the silver was there - really, I still was because that got the Pigs first ring. Second, I was having fun trying to figure out how to balance commerce vs production early on and this just upends all of that. The fact that the cities aren't able to be connected and that you had the motif of commerce vs production with the one-tile island for potentially settling. Again, all that is just out the window because nothing else is better than a mined silver tile.

I'm happy to have the tile, sure, but I think it makes the start a lot more straight-forward and a lot less interesting than it was before I put the city down.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Also, I took the map size being listed as "standard 100-120" as meaning the Settings was Standard Size map. But the map is set to Small per the F8 Settings screen.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

The map should be Small. That was my recommendation in the tech thread because that is the most natural map size for a 32x32 map and Cornflakes OKed it and nobody else commented. I did not take the voting to mean that the map size would be Standard, just that 100-120 is "standard" for RB currently.

Okay! I had missed that and just gone off the listed settings for my sims. Perhaps its lucky then that I have to redo them.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(December 9th, 2020, 12:45)Cornflakes Wrote: Thanks for your effort Noble, much appreciated!

(December 9th, 2020, 01:59)NobleHelium Wrote: I am assuming that you are going to go with the 500 point advanced start budget used in PB53. I recommend a map size setting of Small, and I assumed that you would play on Monarch as usual but it should be fine to play on a different difficulty should you so choose.

Yes Monarch difficulty, and 500 point budget as used in PB53 is what I envisioned (set to 556 in the game setup to get 500 in-game after the Monarch difficulty factor). Your recommended Small size setting is fine.

I'll updated the OP with the settings that were decided. The simultaneous > Sequential conversion timeframe has not yet been discussed. Given the advanced start, development curve is accelerated and the "move scout, hit enter" turns are almost eliminated. In PB53 we had the following early wars:
- T10: Me vs. scooter only to get a scout through
- Approx. T15 scooter vs. AT to raze a city
- Approx. T35 both me and Mr. Cairo to capture/raze TBS cities

I would also like to propose the following for the conversion to sequential:
- at first DoW, or T30 (whichever is earlier). On T29 play turns according to sequential play order, last player pauses instead of ending turn and PM's Ramk.
- prior to T29, make good faith effort to declare war according to player ID (try to take first half if lower ID, 2nd half if higher ID).
- if war is declared prior to T29, give first-in-turn-order option to convert to sequential immediately or continue with simultaneous (either inconsequential scouting war, or double-move issue with turn ID out of order where first would rather delay conversion until a better time for the double-move to occur).

(December 18th, 2020, 01:30)NobleHelium Wrote: The map is 32x32 Small Toroidal. There are 610 land tiles. There are more than 10 peaks on the map.

Just FYI.

(January 6th, 2021, 15:25)NobleHelium Wrote: Yeah, that's supposed to be a normal grassland.  I PMed Ramk to see if he can fix.

The grassland is now without flood plains.

cry
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Thanks for reporting it. wink