For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Babylon's Nebula of Cheddar(Phi/Ind)

What’s the UI you are using?

(January 25th, 2021, 20:41)Ichabod Wrote: What’s the UI you are using?

It looks like a standard version of BUG, which is integrated in the latest versions of RtR and CtH.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

(January 25th, 2021, 19:04)The Black Sword Wrote: -In big games, it increases the rubber-banding effect and emphasises the value of hammers over beakers. Why invest in beakers now, when I can fall slightly behind first and then get a 60% bonus in the future? I'm not a big fan of that, again I think beakers are often the weaker investment already, so it doesn't need to be nerfed. More hammers often means more units and more wars though.  hammer

That's an excellent point that I hadn't considered. Thanks for such a detailed answer! smile
Past Games: PB51  -  PB55  -  PB56  -  PB58 (Tarkeel's game)  - PB59  -  PB60  -  PB64  -  PB66  -  PB68 (Miguelito's game)     Current Games: None (for now...)

An Ichabod sighting! Hope you're doing well. smile Yeah, the UI is just whatever is built into the latest version of RtR.

[Image: 3DvZ2To.jpg]

Found a crab in the 2nd ring of this plains hill, and I think that locks this location in. That's going to be a lot of food with not many good tiles to grow onto in the mid-game, so let's try make sure we land the Colossus and put this water to work.

[Image: GZ3aRCW.jpg]

So I've marked in the location of likely copper city here. I'm thinking I might take a break between Stonehenge and GLH in my capital to pop it out, but haven't decided yet. GLH looks crazy for this map, but I have only seen the one island location so far, and it's not so good when you have to rely on OBs for the extra trade route, particularly when OBs are at alphabet in RtR. It's also a bit of a slog to get settlers from other cities when triple whipping is so weak in RtR.

You can see a new city to be settled next turn and an OH scout who might choose to be annoying, but that sounds too risky for him.

The worker chopping the forest should be able to finish the chop and get down to the wheat just in time to help. In my sim, a forest had grown 1SE of him, blocking this movement, and I was really struggling to decide what to do with the worker. Then when I logged into the game and the forest was gone it all clicked into place.  crazyeye

Hey, I hope you are doing well too. I've been trying to weather the storm of these hard times (Brazil is going through a very difficult situation), mostly confined to home. To help with that, I'll be playing in the next big pitboss as well (I actually copy pasted your votes in the setup table  lol  ).

Perhaps that nice Great People bulb UI will make me plan my GP's in the game!

Met Cornflakes too, only Pindicator left now:
[Image: blOtkD4.jpg]

Getting the first ring horse/cows would have been better, but I'd need to delay two turns and it's pretty risky with the C1 warrior there. If he fortified on the hill and declared war for instance, kicking him off with the 2v1 sounds too risky. Let's just keep pushing for this Stonehenge.

If OH sits on my pig, and Corn doesn't go so far as to declare war and enter my borders, then I should be able to trap the scout and kill it. I will lose granary food too if he does, which will really piss me off. I still can't see him doing it, but I don't think I had much choice anyway. Needed to keep the 2nd warrior up facing Corn until the first is healed.

The barb lion moved forward in the south and will hopefully suicide on my hill warrior. I think animals should start to disappear and human barbs will spawn now.
[Image: PIYOZEx.jpg]

58 GNP is nuts. Must be something like Fin/Agg Cornflakes already working his gems equivalent with a double pre-req bonus. Even with me on writing, which has a double bonus I only hit 40GNP. Makes me a bit worried about the Colossus.

Quote:Hey, I hope you are doing well too. I've been trying to weather the storm of these hard times (Brazil is going through a very difficult situation), mostly confined to home. 

Things got pretty bad here after we (relatively) opened up for Christmas and the UK Covid variant arrived. So we've been back at home for January and it will continue for another month at least. I'm honestly doing fine with it on a personal level though, which I find a bit strange. The things I think I really miss are teaching in person and training in person with my football club. I'd really enjoy both activities, much more than anything they've been replaced by in lockdown. Yet I don't think my general mood/happiness levels have decreased despite that. Maybe I'm just deluding myself somehow, it's obviously a hard thing to 'measure', but I find it pretty curious.

Also, I rewarded Hitru for not stepping on my pigs by popping his scout.

[Image: zSMkDL7.jpg]

I felt a bit bad about it, but I'm keenly aware that scouting costs hammers in this game, as I try to scrounge together some spare units myself. Given how well they appear to be doing, I'm not inclined to give them free hammers for goodwill. With open borders at Alphabet there should be time for trade routes to recover and I expect them to be pretty pragmatic about open border deals either way.

Looks like I'm first to 5 cities:
[Image: go8jEbf.jpg]

Also got a bit more vision on the area, it is super lush and it might be a peninsula. I didn't know it, but I could have settled to get the corn 1st ring too. It looks like that would have orphaned the wheat though and made the two fish very awkward too. I'm thinking we settle south of the wheat next instead, which will be a 4 resource city with the Stonehenge border pop. We'd then delay the southern fishing spot for quite some time, since we have a lot of competing priorities.

Henge is due EOT30 and looks really powerful, look at all the 2nd ring resources I have already. It would be a big blow to lose it. I've been fairly quick about it, building it as soon as Mysticism came in. I haven't really sacrificed any snowball at all for it though, I picked up other important techs like BW, Pottery, AH first and got out a settler too. So theoretically I could lose it.

After the two of those, I think a gems city, an island city and the Great Lighthouse seem most important. I have to figure out how to do that, I'm roughly thinking GLH in Angel, maybe I can chop out most of a settler in Daredevil, while Buffy gets the other settler and Chuck gets a boat and a worker.

Noble really wasn't stingy with the resources on this map, so I sort of want to settle like crazy, but I also would really like to keep my tech up to get to Metal Casing at least.

[Image: 9PrAvr9.jpg]

Cornflakes is a lot closer than I expected, I could have placed Daredevil with my advanced start points. I am last in land area, while he is the highest, so he might be spread out more than me. But while I do have decent overlap, the main reason for my lack of land area is water tiles. This is a fairly decent defensive border I guess. End of turn someone picked up Hinduism and I'm pretty sure it was him, looks like a strong start.