For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Gavagai's thread of depression

I need to start a thread, I guess. With this game I have a feeling I am lost on T0. I have absolutely no fucking idea how to play advanced start - and I am playing against monsters like TBS and Old Harry. Also, this is a fucking toroid which I hate with passion and Noble is making the map. Every single star in the sky is against me.

I've been reading PB53 to see how that start panned out. The map characteristics are explicitly different, but I think there are still some lessons to be learned in what to spend on.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Why did you sign up for the game then? lol

[Image: start1.jpg?raw=1]

(December 18th, 2020, 01:11)NobleHelium Wrote: Why did you sign up for the game then? lol

Because I want to play games against strong players and such opportunities are rare. Thanks for the map, Noble.

I'll dedlurk you if you're ok with that
"I know that Kilpatrick is a hell of a damned fool, but I want just that sort of man to command my cavalry on this expedition."
- William Tecumseh Sherman

(December 18th, 2020, 12:33)Gavagai Wrote:
(December 18th, 2020, 01:11)NobleHelium Wrote: Why did you sign up for the game then? lol

Because I want to play games against strong players and such opportunities are rare. Thanks for the map, Noble.

I respect that.  You're welcome.

(December 18th, 2020, 13:34)GeneralKilCavalry Wrote: I'll dedlurk you if you're ok with that

I thought you could have noticed a thing or two about my bad reporting habits by now )) But we could try to make it work.

OK, let's discuss my combo really quickly. I am the first to choose and, frankly speaking, I do not see how it makes sense to pick anything other than Mao - he seems like the strongest leader right now, in advanced start especially, because the snowball effect from faster workers and granaries would be more immediate. That sucks, because I played Mao recently but I cannot really justify picking anything else as the first pick. There are good choices but nothing what could compete with Mao in terms of power. The only other option I can think of is to take EXP/ORG and Sumeria.

I browsed through civs and that come to my attention.

Byzantium: Fishing/Mysticism. UB: Barracks replacement. Hippodrome. +1 happy from iron, horse. UU: Trebuchet replacement. Counterweight Trebuchet. Strength 7. +40% city attack. Starts with Accuracy.

Persia: Hunting/Agriculture. UB: Market replacement: Satrap Court. -25% city maintenance. UU: Chariot replacement. Immortal. +15% withdraw. 1 Free strike. Starts with March.

Byzantium is unusual and cool, trying out this Treb replacement would be fun and Barracks would allow skipping Monarchy for a while. Probably worthwhile taking something like Toku with them. Satrap Courts are just very strong with Exp.

General, still here? Any thoughts?

Decided to go ahead and take Mao because I do not want to hold up things any further. Seems kind of stupid to spend two days on this but it is what it is.

Sorry, I just finished my exams... Mao is totally fine by me.

Byzantium seems like basically like half of free charismatic trait, and I think the treb replacement might be fun to play with. Small map might mean we want an early rush unit though...

Cornflakes took America, so he is clearly thinking along aggressive lines.
"I know that Kilpatrick is a hell of a damned fool, but I want just that sort of man to command my cavalry on this expedition."
- William Tecumseh Sherman