I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Gavagai's thread of depression

Byzantium is tempting: so far the civs have been chosen in alphabetical order with only Arabia skipped and Byzantium would continue the trend. But I really dislike their starting techs: in the advanced start, technology should be a serious bottleneck - or so I figure. Also for Byzantium we should have taken Toku.
Right now I really like Khmer:

Khmer: Mining/Hunting. UB: Aqueduct replacement: Baray. +1 food, +1 culture, +1 Artist slot. Cost 80. UU: War Elephant replacement. Ballistaphant (I don't know the actual name). Targets mounted first outside of cities. Can construct baray.

Ballistaphants make it really hard to attack you and baray is a nice way to pop borders quickly for 40 hammers (or a Ballistaphant). Alternatively, Persia still remains an option. General, ideas?

Considering starting techs persia probably wins out slightly, we'd be able to start improving everything immediately.

Let me list all the options that might be interesting:

Khmer is interesting, but isn't the whole point that you build ballistaphants in core cities to instantly plcae barays in new cities? makes the exp bonus a bit redundant.
Korea has catapults that can kill, which I think is pretty good, it can decrease the number of units needed for an attack by a bit. Good starting techs, but seowon is a bit too late game.
Persia - a top choice, good techs, and I'd want to play around with immortals.
Ottomans - UU too late
Zulu - barracks that gets bonus from iron not trait, but impis are basically nerfed, not sure how fun it is to play anymore...

So I agree, it is between khmer and persia. Khmer will be fun to try because a lot of people have been picking it recently and not been doing very well with it, maybe we can improve.
"I know that Kilpatrick is a hell of a damned fool, but I want just that sort of man to command my cavalry on this expedition."
- William Tecumseh Sherman

Went ahead and chose Persia.

Any thoughts on how to spend the initial budget?
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Any updates?
"I know that Kilpatrick is a hell of a damned fool, but I want just that sort of man to command my cavalry on this expedition."

updates?