I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Can't get the rebellion and losing endings

Is there a bug with my version of MoO? I checked and it's the default version 1.3, no mods applied. Yet for some reason I don't get the endings for being overthrown in a civil war, or being eliminated by the AI.

(July 14th, 2021, 23:56)Anskiy Wrote: Is there a bug with my version of MoO? I checked and it's the default version 1.3, no mods applied. Yet for some reason I don't get the endings for being overthrown in a civil war, or being eliminated by the AI.

Maybe a LBX file on your MOO folder is corrupted or missing...

Do you get any error message when you lose?

Nope, it shows the GNN bot going "A civil war broke out deposing the emperor" or "With the last planet captured, the emperor was annhilated" and such, but when the screen cuts out, it plays the victory screen with the Humans being the High Master.

I seem to recall that there are several different versions of version 1.3 out there - I think depending on how the game was originally installed and/or patched, and the difference (as far as I know) mostly shows up in the victory screen, though I don't remember the differences for sure. I wonder if this is what's going on in your game too? I suspect few players actually play out a lost game to the end, other than a Council loss (with its brief Exile movie). I wonder if using 1oom with the same lbx files (etc) would behave normally....

I found the problem, the music settings are bugged for some reason. Switching the game to use Soundblaster instead of the MIDI device made the exiled, rebellion and losing endings play.

(July 16th, 2021, 20:50)Anskiy Wrote: I found the problem, the music settings are bugged for some reason. Switching the game to use Soundblaster instead of the MIDI device made the exiled, rebellion and losing endings play.

I can confirm this behavior with 1.4m also. Instead of losing ending I got human face victory ending with blank emperor name with LAPC-I MIDI device selected. Also, I've seen victory ending with corrupted emperor name that happened with MIDI selected but not with soundblaster. It looks like a bug.

(July 16th, 2021, 20:50)Anskiy Wrote: I found the problem, the music settings are bugged for some reason. Switching the game to use Soundblaster instead of the MIDI device made the exiled, rebellion and losing endings play.

As someone with an mt-32, who used it back in the day, this explains why I never saw any of those other endings before.

Glitches like this with mt-32 support are not uncommon - it was an unusual device, and games usually didn't receive much testing on it other than basic "yep, it works. Ship it!"

The last published update for the original XCom game actually completely broke Roland support.