I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Master of Orion 1 unofficial patch

Waterd Wrote:First, I read a lot of your reports and also Sirian reports. So my thought hasn't changed after reading that for some reason.
Well, if you've read a bunch of Sirian's excellent game reports, I can hardly be surprised that missile bases seem vital and powerful in the extreme; as I recall, Sirian loved building them - sometimes in triple digits, just to be sure! (I think the only time I've ever even approached this was in Imperium 19.)

kyrub Wrote:Here is a sample for testing
Sorry for taking so long to get to this; I'm currently working on Imperium 23, hoping to roll it out by next Monday (unless someone else wants to sponsor a game and can have it ready by then!) but will at least run one of the Psilon saves through the new embryo_18 version of Starmap when I get a chance, to see if they show any improvement!

kyrub Wrote:I finally breached the combat code and more or less located the "Wait" issues.
Biobombing - found, corrected. Also, the double tech hit bug is confirmed
Wow ... have I mentioned that I'm really, really impressed with what you've managed to do here?

Quote:No progress on the Sad Psilons front, despite a significant effort. I am quite desperate about it
I'm still not 100% convinced that it's something you added that causes this - could be that from time to time, all the elements come together, an isolated race makes all the wrong decisions, and they wind up with a hopeless economy, that usually just isn't noticed (or is blamed on the wrong factors). Perhaps it just happened to come together this time in a game I was monitoring closely. I'll check and see if things go better with the fixes you attempted, as noted above; I just wanted to point out again that we seem to be dealing (so far) with a sample size of just one game. In any case, thanks very much for all your work on the patch!

My gf decided to playtest the new patch, and she's drawn some rather odd things including Xenophobic Bulrathi (Psilons Honorable and Darloks Xeno, but that is, while odd, a possible choice for them)... I asked her to make a save file in case it was useful.

I'm assuming she's installed the patch correctly, and I know she has not randomized personalities, as she doesn't know how to do that.

~Maniac
Favorite quotes:
Diplomacy is the art of letting other people have your way - Unknown.
The graveyards are full of indispensible men - Charles de Gaulle
If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you - Winnie the Pooh.
There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes - The Doctor
What's the use of a good quotation if you can't change it? - The Doctor (again)
Your friendship is the nicest gift I have ever recieved - my girlfriend smile

Bulrathi can be Xenophobic rarely (10%), Darloks are always Xenophobic, Psilons mainly honorable. The personality selection in the original game, and in the patch made from it, is bugged as discovered by Kyrub here

I knew it was bugged in the 1.31 official patch, but I thought that was one of the things that Kyrub's patch was supposed to have corrected. If there was a post about the fix not working in the Kyrub patch then I unfortunately missed it, sorry.

Possibly you need to use the orion exe from that post along with the new starmap exe to get the fixed personalities? I'll give that a try anyway.
Favorite quotes:
If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you - Winnie the Pooh.
There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes - The Doctor

Xeno Bulrathis shouldn't be in the patch, I thought I fixed it.
Will look at it, added to the 'review' section.
Thanks a lot!

--------

I am trying to finish the next version, but the bug list starts to grow madly to dimensions totally unexpected.
- Cancelling trade has an extra DP penalty which makes it a real crime against humanity
- when AI asks to 'honour the alliance' and DOW on an enemy and you refuse, your current relations are erroneously instantly reduced to -100.
- Enemy of my enemy has a bug as well; normally it improves relations with the AI based on the M of population killed, but when you bomb with bioweapons, it takes the damage dealt without looking whether this damage actually killed the pop. So if you attack with 100 spore ships a 10M planet, you still have a 100 DP bonus (based on other circumstances, like your current relations being negative etc.)
- it seems the place I have "fixed" (AI-AI treaties) was really responsible for cancelling Alliances, because there are no other instances - thanks RefSteel for the feedback.

Soo I have an unexpected day off today, and thought I'd poke about a bit myself.

One other bug, not specific to your patch, that is similar to one Ref Steel brought up: I was framed for sabotage vs Meklars. Meklars show up and say they are ending our NAP over it, but don't. (Similar to the "we're ending our trade agreement" bug.)

And one I have never seen before and should have gotten a screen shot of. I'm playing as the Silicoids. After I wipe out the Darloks, the Meklars show up and say: "We're pleased with your attack on Silicoids emperor Sedemin. Please accept Computer Technology." - No tech was given, but... they are pleased we attacked ourselves??

Hopefully there is just something odd with how she installed the patch that is causing this, I'll check into that when I finish the game.
Favorite quotes:

Maniac Marshall Wrote:One other bug, not specific to your patch, that is similar to one Ref Steel brought up: I was framed for sabotage vs Meklars. Meklars show up and say they are ending our NAP over it, but don't. (Similar to the "we're ending our trade agreement" bug.)

No, that is not similar at all. I've located the RefSteel's bug and it is the exact opposite of what you're saying here: it should work for anything else (sabotage, fleet by borders... ---> NAP or Alli dissolved routine), but it ommits the possibility of trade_agreement dissolving.
So, when have you seen this, MM?

Quote: No tech was given, but... they are pleased we attacked ourselves??
Hopefully there is just something odd with how she installed the patch that is causing this, I'll check into that when I finish the game.
Hehe, that sounds silly. Do you have a save?

But, honestly, if you're not sure about the condition/installment of the game, every report loses its weight. You should simply reinstall, patch, copy savegame and play on. There are many editors that can damage a savefile, as well.

Reinstalled the entire game and patched, then started over. Lost twice in a row on 1st vote before I ever got contact with anyone (once to runaway sakkras who had 8 of 12 votes by themselves!), then in the 3rd game, first contact was pacifistic sakkras... stopped at that point.

I can't see how I've not done this correctly as installing your patch is not exactly complicated. This is using the fixed patch that fixes the reserves bug. I've not tried the other one.

At this point, I think I should just stop and see if anyone else is experiencing these things. I'll hunt for a save file for the "we're pleased you attacked yoursleves" event and see if it is a replicable thing.

Edit: I think I figured out what was wrong... Sorry and hopefully I haven't wasted too much of your time. If the problems reoccur, I'll let you know.
Favorite quotes:

It's good to see you around again, Maniac! I must admit I really miss your Imperium reports, though I realize they can take a lot of time.

I hope the problem you were encountering was in fact the one you discovered; random side-issues are always a potential problem when playtesting this sort of thing....

@ RefSteel

The problem was related to

1) My gf has WAY too many copies of MoO on her computer and I got confused and

2) A strange system setting was not letting the patch install properly.

As far as my lack of game reports... well, it's been a combination of both health and time issues. It's definitely not been a lack of interest in MoO. I love the game, and always will, and I'm stoked by the potential of what is going on here. I'll see if I can fit the current imperium in before the deadline. No promises. It is also my intention to play the one's i've not reported at some point (I will try to do them soon so I can read the others reports!)

@Kyrub

I have a couple of incredibly anal low priority non gameplay affecting "issues" for you to fix when you've fixed everything else.

1) Zygot's name has a space at the end that shouldn't be there, causing him to be (for example: Emperor Zygot , instead of Zygot, (I did say it was anal...)

2) the description of Scatter Pack VII Rockets says they are MIRV Versions of Hyper-X Rockets when in fact they are MIRV versions of Merculite Missiles. (And you thought #1 was anal!)

More usefully, I had an absolutely GRANDLY fun final war patch game with the Sillicoids where I can confirm

1) The AI definitely positioned and sent their fleets very aggressively at me.

2) The techs the Sillicoids were supposed to not get in their tree were NOT in their tree and were also NOT gained via GROPO (all other techs acquired, but game did not give Controlled X or cleanup tech) except...

3) Both versions of Soil Enrichment DID get acquired via GROPO (No one had Atmospheric, so I couldn't test that!)

@ RefSteel And speaking of that grandly fun final war game... I have an idea for an imperium I'd be happy to share if you are interested... smile
Favorite quotes: