I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Any enthusiasm for a remake out here?

Good to hear. I am super-busy throughout the year, but want this project to succeed, so I always try to find some time here and there to contribute. Maybe we should try a 3-way Skype with audio to start up for the Summer. I have some new ideas to share.

It's great to hear you still work on this, VM.

(July 12th, 2011, 13:06)VM Wrote: One thing I have trouble deciding on is special abilities. I`m unsure wether those should be hard coded or configurable. Im partial to make them configurable, but that presents some design issues.

The system that I have now is the following: some queries into the gamestate cause events to trigger. Stuff like special abilities or enchantments can subscribe to events, and add their effect. Once all effects have been added, there is a resolutin phase where the effects will be applied.

For instance: we got food production on a city
the city will calculate farmer number, and multiply with food production rate based on the race. This is the base value.
The getFood event is triggered. Lets assume the city has access to wild game and famine cast on it. The wild game will add a +2 effect to the event argument. The famine adds an eliminate effect to the event agument. Once all effects are added, the resolution phase will set food production to 0 (as famine takes precedence).

The problem is to describe all special abilities in this context.
+1 to hit is easy, we add the subscription, then add 1 to the value requested.
but things like fire immunity or negate first strike pose a problem. I have an idea how I will implement these, but to make them configurable...

The third option is to hardcode some of the special abilities, and make the others configable. Im not sure if I like this one.

Any input? Let me reiterate that everyones opinion is welcome. Thanks.

How did this dilemma end up?

It works like described. I have added the necessary events to everywhere to make it configurable. Not all SAs are configured as of today, but they should be possible to do. I think there are like 5 that still need consideration ('carries units' comes to mind) but they should be all doable with minimal coding left. This is next on my agenda.

Hi, I just registered to let you know how ecstatic I am over this remake.
First I found about OpenXcom, then OpenRA, and now you.
Its as if suddenly all my favourite childhood games were brough back to life.
I wanted to say thanks, and good luck.