I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Any enthusiasm for a remake out here?

You mean, upgrade the original? I dont think that is doable. Im no expert on original MOM, but my educated guess is that higher resolution/color depth images would not fit into memory.
But yes, the original graphics are extractable rather easily.

Anyone have any idea what license should this use?

I am no expert on legal matters, but as I heard from others doing clones and remakes of old games they all end up creating everything new, which includes graphics too to avoid being sued later. Nevertheless, graphics is a fairly trivial part of this project and as I read we have abundance of volunteers willing to create new image files that are of higher quality than the old MOM, but keep the feeling. First create a template size and image with compressed format, which is easy to modify by artists. Here is a link for inspiration: http://www.c-evo.org . The entire project could be used as a model for this project including the selectable independent AI, the multiplayer, the step by step recording of entire games, the fast performing open source code, etc. It is the best Civ type game today I know of (far from being perfect though).

Yea, I kinda already have a good design, I think.

I was looking into the issue, and I think the GPL v3 should do the trick, altough I would appreciate input from someone more experienced in such matters.

Also, I was not idling and I was able to make progress.

The current version is lacking a lot of features, but it has almost all the design principles I wanted to incorporate.

You can currently have a map, with water or plains, have a city on it, scroll around, press the end turn button. End turn also makes the city grow, get gold, mana, progress production (altough the production does not produce anything yet) and stuff.

Next up, units.

I also created a sourceforge project, but have only uploaded the design document so far. (look for remaster of magic, if youre interested)

Edit: you say we could have an art repository? So why dont we?

For an art repository, the lead programmer (you) should create a single image sample with correct size and format that will be uniformly used throughout reMOM. You should be pretty sure that you will use that effectively in the game, so no memory problems, no distorted images, and try not to change your mind later, so artists will not waste their time. Also, if you want animated images for example, which I think you should. Another place for recent open source code that also includes art tutorials is http://www.wesnoth.org with many moving images and coding example. So think about correct image size and format and upload it here in a new thread only for images. Other enthusiasts from here will modify that image and upload their own in mass as zip files. Then we organize them and decide which one we like most when the time is right (no hurry at this time). If you don’t want to provide the template, then we need a volunteer for that (not me).

I dont get it. What template? While some graphics share properties, I dont think a lot can be derived from the same set.
I think we could agree on a resolution, a color count, a palette, not much else pops in my mind. Maybe im dense, but I cant find the art tutorials on the linked sites either.

ENLIGHTEN ME! please.

By template I meant a single pixel art, maybe an animated gif file you can create which you already tested out that will fit into the game in all aspects. Yes, resolution, a color count, a palette would be part of the template, so others would not deviate in those and can create new pixel art. Graphics is not my interest, so I’m not sure what other parameters you may need to lock down. If you are unsure then use these only and we will find out later if there is a problem after someone creates a new one, but does not fit for some reason. Click search in Wesnoth and search for terms like “art tutorial”. There is plenty of discussion there. For example:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?...l+#p484469
They also discuss situations where pixel art is not the best approach.

But if I were you, I would not spend much time there, since graphics is a straightforward (yet very time consuming) part of this massive programming project. Simply create 1 template that fixes some parameters for artists. Creating a balanced bug free game and later a good AI are the biggest challenges.

ok I got permission from implode to use the code I based on his work.
Now I got something that I could upload (nothing spectacular tough). But m getting cold feet. Do I really want to put this thing out there wih my real name on it? Anyone who has worked on open source, how do you overcome this? Isnt there a license that is copyleft but dont need my name on it? Prolly not...

OK so if anyone still wondering, I have been sick. Little progress have been made, but I decided to upload once I have a moveable unit on the map. Which should be soon.

Ok i came around to have a moving unit smile