Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Introduction to reMaster of magic

Aww, .NET ? So Linux version is basically out of question, despite GPL source code.

b0rsuk Wrote:Aww, .NET ? So Linux version is basically out of question, despite GPL source code.

My thoughts as well... I've been thinking of converting this code to standard Java or to multiplatform C++ using OpenGL and SFML libraries for rendering. Either way, this project should be multiplatform from the start. In my opinion, using platform dependent libraries is a mistake. After all, we are talking about creating a Master of Magic remake. Changing this later is becoming increasingly difficult over time.

I know some people will not agree, but many are skeptical - to say at least - about Mono. For one thing, they will always be playing catch-up to Microsoft. MS has such a long and well-documented (books) history of screwing people, especially when it comes to compatibility, I don't even know where to start.

And many distributions will balk at the notion of including Mono-related stuff in official repositories. It's a controversial subject. No, I won't be flaming if you continue using .NET, but it makes me lose interest in contributing (not much of a coder).

First, I totally agree that Java would be better than C# for making code more portable and not programming for single platform. I also agree with MS’s shady past not projecting much optimism for longevity of coding in their current language, which they copied from Java, but removed portability, and who knows how long will support. Maybe VM can help us get some optimism on what will happen when the MS support wears out and when repeated new versions will pose future compatibility problems with other platforms. As it is well known, it is the business strategy of MS of not making MS products compatible with anything else, so their old customers must stay with their platform, repurchase their new products and can’t change to other platforms. The more we commit to them now, the more we will depend on their future business decisions.

Second, for collaboration, clear, easy to understand fast coding, and modifying someone else’s code I vote for Python. As much as possible should be programmed in Python, which can be understood by many of us and changes can be made later.

Third, VM’s choice is C# due to his expertise in this language. It is certainly much better for him to program in this language, since that’s what he is best at. I personally respect him for doing something, since not doing anything is the worst. Maybe it will work out at the end and he probably would not have been interested in starting in other languages. Maybe somebody can rewrite his existing clean code to Java or Python in the future if it really becomes necessary. As long as we have source code, we are much better off than without source code. Not to mention that platforms, operating systems and programming languages changed and continue to change, so even Java or Python would not last forever.

I'm all for Python since it's my favorite language. It doesn't shine in terms of speed (although there are things like PyPy). But I think only AI needs to be done in a fast language. This game will be user input bound.

I agree - even if the project stays with C#, it will be good (not great). Once you become a big spot on the radar, people will volunteer to port to another language(s).

b0rsuk Wrote:I'm all for Python since it's my favorite language. It doesn't shine in terms of speed (although there are things like PyPy). But I think only AI needs to be done in a fast language. This game will be user input bound.

I agree - even if the project stays with C#, it will be good (not great). Once you become a big spot on the radar, people will volunteer to port to another language(s).

I'm curious why you think C# isn't great? For me, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Edit: I just read the last post, not the earlier posts. Porting to another language is easier than creating a remake from stratch! I should know, I've started work on reMoO :P
Dominus Galaxia, a Master of Orion inspired game I'm working on.

I agree with a linux version. I personally would give Mono a try before porting to another language (and I think a port should use Java). I was trying to not use anything that Mono has not implemented in its curent state, so tehoretically, you could just download the exe, and it shuold run.

Practically tough, we probably need a mono build. (both Ninject and OpenTK have mono builds, so we prolly want to compile against those) I have no Linux experience, so if someone has, and is willing to help me out in this, please volunteer!

Quote:For one thing, they will always be playing catch-up to Microsoft.
This is irrelevant, as I am not going to up the framework version mid-development. Also, Im avoiding anything Mono has not implemented so far.

Quote:Maybe VM can help us get some optimism on what will happen when the MS support wears out and when repeated new versions will pose future compatibility problems with other platforms.

When windows wont support .NET 4.0 any longer, reMOM will be stuck to run on Mono. I dont think this will happen tough.
Future .NET versions and their compatibility problems do not concern us, as we are using 4.0. Also, since Im using so little from the framework libs, any changes to those should be trivial to incorporate, should we choose to upgrade.

Having said that, if anyone wants to port to any language, feel free to (as you actually are smile) Ill be happy to give support whenever you want me to.

Quote:I'm curious why you think C# isn't great? For me, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread
Im sure its because of MS ant its anticompetitive strategies. People dont trust MS to support platform independence (and rightfully so, tough Oracle isnt too good in this department either). Mono has a reputation to be suboptimal to .NET (remnans of its teething problems, partially thanks to MS not implementing .NET to spec).

From a technical POV, C# is great, especially since LINQ. Once Java has something LINQ-like, then the competition will be close again, but until such time...

This is utterly brilliant.
I'd love to see this come to completion, sadly I have no prgramming skills at all, so I can't be of any help. I suspect even if I tried to learn programming to help I would only create more work through bad coding for you competent programmers than I were to contribute.

I could however try to make graphics.
After christmas exams I will have a bit of time, I will see what I´m capable of doing then.

How many people are actively working on this now? Circa how far towards a complete game are you, would you say?

Hi and welcome!

Currently there are 2 of us working on this. Me and MelvinBates. We are something like 10% of the way there. Or maybe 5%. Or maybe 20%. I dont really know, tbh. I dont really care tbh smile I make this for fun, so as long as I have fun making it, its cool.
Any help is greatly apprecsiated. What you could do with no skills:

download and see if you can start it. (Note: youll need the original)
check wether units have correct prerequisites/stats/special abilities/costs
check wether buildings have correct prerequisites
hunt for any freezes/bugs on parts that are done

Any help is welcome! If you find anything, dont hesotate to post in the bugs topic!

I tried to get it to work, couldn't sort the path file out it seems.
It gives an error:
System.exception: Original MOM not found!
at reMoM.Program.Main()

I changed the path.txt file to point to my mom folder.
I have MoM v1.31 by the way.