I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Coding Plan

PBEM support

Sure, add Play by Email to this game. However, I think it is a low priority now, since more than 50% of human fun will be on tactical combat, which you can’t do by email.
The way I see play by email to make sense is that each player will designate his/her own AI to play battles and use some parameters, which they can change at the end of their own turns only. This is not in the immediate horizon I have to say to be much fun. Implementation of simple algorithms to choose from and designate by player is easy as long as all human players are forced to use it so it will be AI vs. AI only during battle. Under these premises PBEM may work for the busy players living in different time zones. However, I think even this should go through a server and not email for a myriad of reasons, such as lowering cheating accusations and disagreements, eliminating honor councils, avoiding running different versions, but most importantly for data collection for future improvements.

-------------------------------------------------------
I need to make melee attack stages more consistent (it should resemble original+have no max value)
0-reserved
1-gaze, thrown, breath attack
2-gaze, counterattack
3-first strike attack
4-normal attack and counterattack, touch attacks and counterattacks
5-reserved

Make all special abilities

City growth needs recalculating based on terrain

endturn -> there should be an event AFTER THE FACT, dismissals could then prevent the endturn, also timestop could effect its effects...
lairs-> need to desigh now the liar stacks will behave(they should be in the lairs, could I make lairs a kind of cities? Or maybe the other way around? Determine which makes more sense)
How to make sure, that the maptiles stack remains empty??
towers of wizardry-> both tiles should point to the same thing, and the stacks should be IN the thing, not the tile.
HOw to handle an empty ToW? Plane shifting? If a unit is on it, it should behave the same way!

I need to create Myrror...
Terrain specials
terraintypes need a percentage of when to spawn specials
the specials themselves are straightforward
Neutral cities
how many? race bias shoud be implemented
Neutral AI
Rampaging monsters
combat ai
city ai
Nodes and node aura
meld-> I need to redesign special button on unit screen
shuld be an event, where the special ability can subscribe!
QuerySpecialButtonArgs->stack
Filter SameStack
Modifyer: add button name/graphics/conditions?? to args
condition: build outpost-> maptile.canhaveCity==true
build road -> not water or shore or node, has no roads yet
purify -> corrupted tile
meld->node that is not owned by owner
should I add customization?? Needs codechange anyway because of modifyer!

When pressing the button->OnSpecialButtonPressd->sends NE(unit that has the ability)
raises an event
SpecialButtonPressedArgs(unit)

Filter: SameUnit
Modifyer: do whatever the ability should
purify/road building
node aura: how should this be added? the maptile needs a flag of what type of aura it has(can it have 2?)
aura->constant dispell+adds to unit props
there needs to be 1 aura for each nodetype
filter: unitunderaurainfluence of corresponding type AND corresponding type
modifyer: add to props
constant dispell-> there will be a cast event!
Alchemy
queryrateargs so that retorts have a chance to respond.
retorts
should be straightforward, configurable retorts by sub
movement costs:
needs an event so noncorporeal has a chance to act
city list
army list
next unit button, fixx behaviour when unit ends move
deselect selected unit-> ez hogy van?
heroes, hero abilities

Combat:
combat movement calculations
needs an event so noncorporeal can respond
needs to consider road bonus
what else? Mud!
check whats up with detritus/trees/roads/towns
walls and their effects->fit them into the system
fix the edges

Spells:
Summon spells: spawn the unit in the summoning circle and add upkeep
Unit enchantments: add the enchantment to the unit and add sub/upkeep
global enchantments: add the enchantment to the glob list and sub/upkeep
combat enchantments: add the enchantment to the combat list and sub
city enchantments: add the enchantment to the city and sub/upkeep
combat instants: UIAction kell hozza, es action ->hogy lehet ezt configolhatova tenni?
overland instants: detto!
spell of return
spell of mastery

target selection: a spell resze kell legyen
pumping

Diplomacy

Notes for later:
displaying a stack when moving some units off of it is wrong
an unseen city that is larger than a tile needs correct fading
the extra tohit/todefend icon might be a good idea to add to unit details(also animations of different shitte)
dialogs need to be added, including input box for naming things
need to make brown the neutral AI (and color choice? maybe not)
performance checks
use unused maptile ui elements...
ranged attack anim in combat
FOW edges
UIActions for spellcasting

(October 12th, 2011, 21:19)WhiteMage Wrote: Sure, add Play by Email to this game. However, I think it is a low priority now, since more than 50% of human fun will be on tactical combat, which you can’t do by email.

I would not include PBEM, but, technically, battle can be interesting and done through only one extra email. Starting situation would be revealed and each side prepares 'tactic' and sees how it plays out.

(November 30th, 2013, 20:29)Shendemiar Wrote: I would not include PBEM
Agreed. That is what I stated 2 years ago if you read my entire post. I proposed client-server smile

(November 30th, 2013, 20:29)Shendemiar Wrote: technically, battle can be interesting and done through only one extra email. Starting situation would be revealed and each side prepares 'tactic' and sees how it plays out.
You mean 1 email to each defender per battle. The problem is that the attacker could not proceed with his/her attack until receives response from each opponent he/she attacks. That defeats the purpose of PBEM and would make games far longer to finish. So no it won’t work well in practice. I hold my opinion I posted 2 years ago about delegating AIs once per turn. That AI can be artbitrarily complex and smart.

On the other hand, battle only games could be a good idea. Players can post hundreds of battles and plans and hunders of others can respond to individual battles. Then the server processes all at the declared time and declares winners and show step by step recordings. This could even be a tournament, mainly benefitting AI development. Spectators may even place bets and be entertained.

Personal notes:
Magnitudes shuold be published
1/2 maptiles->needs a 2 city filter!
mineral guild-> add mithril/adamantium

ItemPowers->need distinction between items and artifacts
prefabs-> meh

Nodes/lairs
Combat: road, city,walls, lair, node, long range, aura

(November 30th, 2013, 21:27)WhiteMage Wrote:
(November 30th, 2013, 20:29)Shendemiar Wrote: I would not include PBEM
Agreed. That is what I stated 2 years ago if you read my entire post. I proposed client-server smile

(November 30th, 2013, 20:29)Shendemiar Wrote: technically, battle can be interesting and done through only one extra email. Starting situation would be revealed and each side prepares 'tactic' and sees how it plays out.
1) You mean 1 email to each defender per battle. The problem is that the attacker could not proceed with his/her attack until receives response from each opponent he/she attacks. That defeats the purpose of PBEM and would make games far longer to finish. So no it won’t work well in practice. I hold my opinion I posted 2 years ago about delegating AIs once per turn. That AI can be artbitrarily complex and smart.

2) On the other hand, battle only games could be a good idea. Players can post hundreds of battles and plans and hunders of others can respond to individual battles. Then the server processes all at the declared time and declares winners and show step by step recordings. This could even be a tournament, mainly benefitting AI development. Spectators may even place bets and be entertained.

1) My point was just an theoretical one, there is no need for PBEM these days when everyone has internet. And I agree it wouldn't work well.

2) Yes I agree, that is nice prospect.