For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Current standing

OK so Ill write any updates on curent state as I feel like it.
Ill also use this thread to vent.

So yesterday I made very little progress. I still havent figured out dialogs, or where the production change dialog keeps its graphics. This is becoming a major headache, so maybe i should concentrate on that "id stuff for me" app.

I also fucked up my interfaces, but I think I know how to fix that one, so its all good. It turns out not everything that goes into the config file will subscribe to events, only some.

The third thing that slows me down is fonts. I cant be arsed to figure out the font graphics on my own, so either Ill look up on the net somewhere, or ill just ask someone to make a new fornt for me. Or if all else fails, I can figure it out myself, as a last resort, sorta. I am at a point where I really need to write text onto the screen.

OK I fixed the lbx extractor routine (Thanks Implode, youre awesome!)

I fixed the interfaces, so hopefully that is done.

Next is dialogs (change prod and unit details). For that Ill need text, so there is that. Once the 2 dialogs are done, I will write a config tool for people to create units with.

Ok I added change production screen, I added xml config for a bunch of stuff, including buildins and units. Theoretically it shuold be doable to create the tech tree now. The text is still missing,

Ill probably create a new font. Maybe Ill ask someone to volunteer to do that.

Meanwhile Ill work on unit details dialog.

Yesterday I did some refactoring that was awfully necessary. In retrospect, I should have done stuff this way first, so another proof that Im dumber than necessary. I started on the unit detail dialog, but for that I have to add unit view to the main screen. Shouldnt take long, ill give it a shot today.

OK I started working on some minor issues, like selecting garrison and moving units. I found several bugs (I hate those). I have to redesign stacks. Among other stuff, as more and more stuff keeps popping up as badly designed.
For instance unit movement can flicker (this I know for a long time now, but figured it wouldnt be very important). Ill have to redesign this as well.

Implode sent me his font code, so now I can extract fonts from original files, so I set on that. I got distracted by shiny stuff halfway trough, so Im not finished with that yet.

I also have to revisit some stuff, like scouting range, race name, unit name, and so on.

Yay! I was able to extract the fonts from the font file. Now to output text...

I updated the downloadables and the source. It still has no text, but im closing in.

OK the source now has text support as well as recoloring support (palette switch).
Im adding the unitdetail dialog next, then Ill add a feature where we can add units.

I added unit details view. Special abilities are not yet supported. I refreshed the exe as well, so you can go and take a look.

Ill add special ability support, then config file change support.

OK i updated a bunch of stuff.
You can now build any building, and any unit in the game.
Now I am redesigning the subscription part, so that it actually works.
When that is done, one can make stuff work. smile
The config still needs some updates , idd work on that too.