For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Developer thread

Thanks, smile. Last night I added the mapping to Myrror, it was great to check a check box hit go and see Myrror.
Looking at the integration I'm going to have to change a few things with how the map is implemented. When I have more specifics I'll post them here to keep you informed and so you can stop me if I start changing something key to your vision. I don't foresee that happening as it looks like it should fit in fairly well.

Well, the way I imagined it would be like this.
Add a class that acts as the facade to your generation code. If you have multiple classes, you should add a folder under GameLogic called MapGeneration and add them there.
Inject your facade into ObjectManager. In objectManager.InitializeWorld, use your system to generate the world.

Add any parameters you need for generation into StartupInfo. StartupInfo is provided by the network lobby, so for testing, you should modify the ntwork lobby code to add test values to the parameters. If you want, feel free to add GUI elements to the lobby to set your stuff.

The class GameState has 2 maps, one for Arcanus, one for Myrror. These should hold the end result.

If you feel this is inadequate, feel free to comment smile

Just wanted to check in. I've been sick for the past week and a half, quite a nasty bug. I'm on the mend and will work on getting my code integrated. Sorry for the delay.

No worries. Get better! smile

Hi

I added network lobby functionality, so you might want to generate starting cities for all wizards in startupInfo. Thats all for now.

In addition to Windows, Linux, and Mac we should prepare to eventually make reMOM available for portable devices: iPad2, smartphones, android. VM, what is your idea about porting reMOM to those later? This would be a huge plus for the player community. I will skip Xbox, PS, Nintendo. Those are not a priority IMHO. How about making reMOM browser playable?

im not very good with browsers. Also, we need new graphics for that.

There are over 15000 images in the lbx files. Anyone up to the challenge?

Sorry guy, Im a lazy bum. I havent worked on this for nearly 2 weeks now, and that made me feel bad, so I decided to get something done today. I updated, not much of an update, but now you should be able to:
start a server
join to a server
build units from your starting cities
build buildings in your starting cities
move around on the map with troops
attack each others troops
Unfortunately, the attack will result in an empty battlefield, with no way to escape, so the fun ends there. Ill work on it some more next week, I hope.

Are there any relatively non-critical-path tasks that someone without a lot of spare time might be able to contribute to? I'm an experienced .Net developer w/ no prior game dev experience, but tons of C# and MoM experience. I've d/l'd the source and am just looking around to get my bearings now.

As for being any good with browsers, if the UI is properly separated from the game logic it should be relatively easy to slap an web front-end on there once the game's working well. You'd probably need new graphics, but you'll probably want new graphics before this is all said and done anyway, since the old ones are so low-res.

Im sure there is lots you could do. Ill get my notes together once im home, and reply then.

Off the top of my head, there are a few things that I didnt spend enough time with. Like, exception handling. Tracing. UI things, like mouse cursor, or minor inconsistencies. Generic dialog class that can display a string and forward the flow to any given screen if clicked yes, or back to prev screen if clicked no. Configurations, building descriptions. I would say building effect editing, tough the editor is kinda sucky, so maybe I should do that.

If you have any questions regarding the code, ask away!
If you have a sourceforge account, I can add you, if you wish.