Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Developer thread

Xylorjax Wrote:Are there any relatively non-critical-path tasks that someone without a lot of spare time might be able to contribute to? I'm an experienced .Net developer w/ no prior game dev experience, but tons of C# and MoM experience. I've d/l'd the source and am just looking around to get my bearings now.
Are you my long lost twin brother ?

I was was going to say exactly the same thing for myself : same experiences, not much time for now. (I hope it will get better in a few weeks)

(and separating the UI from the game logic is a good thing not only for a web front-end, but also for third party software)

VM Wrote:Id be interested in your opinions on unittests. I did plan to have them, I just never seem to come around actually making them.
I'd love to start working on reMom by doing some unit testing.

Please give me your sourceforge acc, so I can add you guys.

OK I added Morningkill. You can read up on the project structure here. Feel free to ask anything.

VM Wrote:OK I added Morningkill. You can read up on the project structure here. Feel free to ask anything.
Okay, what should I work on first ?
I remember reading about the need for exception logging ?
For unit testing, the project would need to have at least two assemblies I think : UI and gameplay.

You can do any of the following:

1. fog of war
2. unit tests, including slicing the projects
3. UI stuff, whatever is off (mouse cursor springs to mind)
4. Exception handling
5. tracing
6. Anything else that catches your fancy. I did got MelvinBates's work, so Ill integrate random map generation soonish, so dont work on that one. I am also in the middle of combat damage/combat end turn, dont work on that either.

Please try to make the code simple to understand, even when that causes to be suboptimal in performance (performance shouldnt be an issue anyway), and adhere to the design. If the design is not clear, or you have a better design in mind, please write me. Here, in pm, or email all work well.

A short explanation with each checkin is appreciated. Ill start doing that as well.

VM

VM Wrote:You can do any of the following:

Ok, did you get my pms ?

I would like to start by splitting the projects between at least UI and Mechanics. Should not be long, we just need to coordinate that you don't have some commits to do while I'm doing that
Then some logging (using NLog I think) with exception handling. And, at last work on something interesting, like Fog Of War.

Awesome, your work is appreciated very much.

VM Wrote:Awesome, your work is appreciated very much.

Nothing has been broken ?

Because I never ran reMom before splitting the assemblies smile

I only ran a quick check myself, but it seems to me it is in working order. Oh how i wish I had made unit tests smile