For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Gaspar and NobleHelium - More Arguments About Buildings & Food.

Gaspar Wrote:Victoria of Byzantium (FIN, IMP, Mysticism, The Wheel, Hippodrome, Cataphract)

Vicky of Byz was a much better choice in the game this came from than here, but in fairness they didn't have any other options. Vicky is midgrade FIN leader with the often self-destructive IMP trait. The dichotomy here is that you have a trait that wants a fast start - IMP with a Civ with terrible start techs and a second trait that benefits little in the early game. Obviously, all that matters not if they're in the game at Guilds - Cataphracts are unstoppable if used correctly at tech parity. We've very rarely seen this accomplished, however.

Mist is a crazy schemer. Ichabod is a competent game-manager. Neither has much competitive BTS experience. I expect a crazy scheme and decent micro. Realistically, this probably wasn't the ideal game for them to come into - though I expect Ichabod to run the show most of the time. They're definitely the wild card here, we just don't have enough to go on.

Mistkebab snapshot:

Player skill:bowbowbow
Leader/Civ strength: yikesyikes
Aggressiveness: hammerhammerhammer
Intangibles: smoke
PYFT rating: jivejivejive

Exploitable weakness: Green to base Civ MP. Likely to have a slow start.
Biggest fear: They stay in the game until Guilds and are our neighbor.
Pre-game prediction: 5th place.

Well, getting 3rd place wasn't so bad after all. For a minute there I thought we could end up winning this game, but it wasn't to be. Right in the part of the game where we were supposed to shine, we ended up screwing everything up.

Ichabod Wrote:Well, getting 3rd place wasn't so bad after all. For a minute there I thought we could end up winning this game, but it wasn't to be. Right in the part of the game where we were supposed to shine, we ended up screwing everything up.

You were legitimately scary around that point, but I do think your FFH experience betrayed you somewhat, given the lack of cottages for long-term sustainability, but make no mistake, you did very well for your first BTS PBEM. Dave's clever "crumple along the HRE border" defense worked very very well too, obviously. It's a cool what-if to think about if you'd been running things at that point.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

I've been out of town a few days and have lurked this game for quite a while. I'm sorry to see it end this way. Having said that, Noble/Gas, great job, congratulations on this win. I wish it had ended before all of this, but such is life. I hope you're able to enjoy this win.

:2dance: