Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Gaspar and NobleHelium - More Arguments About Buildings & Food.

It's a good thing Gaspar spared you guys the chat dump, otherwise I'm afraid we might start losing our reputation for amusing chats. lol

You forgot to rename us to Nephalem.

Played turn 2.

I properly aligned ourselves with the world of Diablo.

[Image: sanctuary.jpg]

Chris Metzen may cringe at my liberal creation of an adjective if he were reading this.

[Image: overview2.jpg]

Exploration reveals Commodore's favorite PLAINS COW.

[Image: demos2.jpg]

Everyone's settled now. Commodore is probably working a 2f tile.

Okay, let's see. yuris, davy, and Mistabod were settled as of last turn. I don't actually see any evidence to support Gaspar's claim that all three of them are working 3f tiles, because an average of 3 means a total of 12 to 15 rival food. Apparently we're the only people who started with Mining so obviously nobody else is researching Bronze Working. Since we are top GNP without working a commerce tile, nobody else is researching a prereq tech. So nobody is doing (likely) silly things like researching a religion, and nobody is researching Animal Husbandry. Everyone has 17 GNP this turn so that means they're working a 1c tile (or very unlikely, someone settled on a riverside commerce resource). Swipe my comment about Commodore likely working a 2f tile since we don't know that everyone was working 3f tiles last turn.

Not much more to be said I don't think, given that the starts are not mirrored and there are four rivals in the game. Don't expect me to try to do much C&D this game. lol

Went ahead and played immediately since we had already discussed how to move the warrior. I'm sure Nob will be annoyed regardless. wink

That only revealed 1 tile, but borders popped and that's far more interesting:

[Image: t3a.jpg]

Is T3 too early to be discussing a dotmap? OF COURSE T3 IS TOO EARLY TO BE DISCUSSING A DOTMAP. But that doesn't stop me from discussing it a bit.

The Red Sites are overwhelmingly likely to be the first settle. I had been favoring Red Dot all along because it moves us southward and leaves open Blue Dot, which was my preferred 3rd city. The presence of whales in the north likely changes the favorites to the circles there.

The Blue Sites are important if dot, backfill if circle. Part of my desire for Blue Dot was to get an exploring workboat out quickly. Potentially getting skunked on horses plus the likelihood of a threadbare early military means that getting a safe scout in the water would be quite useful.

Lastly Purple Circle is a nice little backfill location with two lighthousable lakes and plains sheep. +6 food at size 3 even without any seafood.

Anyway, discuss. smile

Here's demos:

[Image: t3b.jpg]

Whales... Why'd it have to be whales. banghead

Somewhere red for second city. Beyond that, explore.
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

Forgot to mention that one of yuris, davy and Mistabod settled coastally.

Well I guess that's not necessarily true. They could have settled next to a lake.

Yes, I'm very pissed about this because we spent like three days talking about world wrap and I have at least five posts in the tech thread mentioning cylindrical. I do highly appreciate you guys making the map for us but I really don't see how this failure of communication can occur.

For me - less angry but equally insistent that the wrap is a huge fricking deal - the big issue is that we picked civs and then a map for this game, not the usual other way around. So you need to make a map that is relatively fair to all civs. To compete against these high-powered combos we need to rex hard and ask questions later. Put us on a toroid and you can't rex, you have to execute measured expansion tempered by economic growth. In a lot of ways, its a superior game model. But you don't choose Isabella of China to go against Darius of HRE and HC of the Ottomans to do it. So for us to win now its essentially us playing on Immortal while everyone else (not Dave I guess, he's on Emperor maybe) is playing Prince. Can it be done? Sure. But I'm not super excited about playing Sisyphus yet again part of what excited me about this game was the rare level playing field.

Anyway, just wanted to put out there without the emotion what our thinking is.

After that embarrassing interlude, I played turn 4.

[Image: overview4.jpg]

Warrior found nothing.

[Image: demos4.jpg]

Someone has a likely coastal city with 4 water tiles. Looks like there are 1-4 water tiles in the BFC of two other players as well (37 tiles among the middling two players).

yuris got a tech. 4 turns means max 44 beakers if he's working a commerce tile. So he teched Fishing or Hunting.

I remade the sandbox using the correct toroidal world wrap...[ATTACH]2552[/ATTACH]
Global lurker smile ; played in Civ VI PBEM 4, 5, 15; DL suboptimal Civ VI PBEM 17