Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Hamlet growth

Anybody knows how hamlet growth is calculated?

Also, I would want to hear opinions on changing it to a deterministic formula instead of the random one original MOM implements.

Discuss.

(September 24th, 2013, 03:07)VM Wrote: Anybody knows how hamlet growth is calculated?

Also, I would want to hear opinions on changing it to a deterministic formula instead of the random one original MOM implements.

Discuss.
the randomness is ok for me. maybe there could be some sort of "safeguard" that prevents hamlets from never growing (like, after double the average growth time you get a guaranteed success)
dance!

Probabilistic growth for outpost is a great feature for the otherwise very probabilistic MOM. You do not know for sure if your new settler will make it and by when. I love this feature. Adds to fun and thrill. No need to change this feature at all. Formula is something like -2 to +4 growth per turn with uniform distribution, independent events in each turn and ignores landscape. Start with 3.

According to some other sites, which I can't really verify, output growth rate percentage is (base for race) + (max population) + (minerals bonus; it's 5-10% per patch, not sure of the full list of which resources add what), and growth amount is 1-3 huts (100 people). Then there is a 5% chance to lose huts, which is either 1-2 or 1-3 huts. This number is stored in the race structure with defaults:
Barbarian: 15%
Beastmen: 5%
Dark Elf: 2%
Draconian: 5%
Dwarven: 7%
Gnoll: 5%
Halfling: 15%
High Elf: 5%
High Men: 10%
Klackon: 5%
Lizardman: 10%
Nomad: 10%
Orc: 10%.
Troll: 3%.

Hamlet Growth is not random the formula is:

base growth = (maximum city size - population +1) / 2 {rounded up}

population growth = base growth x 10 +20 {if granary} +30 {if farmers market} + race modifier

population growth = population growth + housing bonus {rounded down to the nearest 10}

when growth reaches 1000 you get an addition to the population any remainder carried forward

maximum city size is calculated as follows based on the 21 tiles within the city limits {5 x 5 minus 4 corner tiles}:

+ 2 x wildgame
+ 2 x sorcery node
+ 2 x nature node
+ 1.5 x grassland
+ 0.5 x hill
+ 0.5 x swamp
+ 0.5 x forest
+2 for granary
+3 for farmers market

Regardless of this maximum size the actual population can not go over 25

The housing bonus is when building set to "housing"

housing bonus = population growth x ( workers / population + 0.1 {if sawmill} + 0.15 {if builders hall} )

Race Modifiers are:

Barbarian +20
Lizardmen +10
Draconians, Gnolls, Klackons and Nomads -10
Dark and High elves, Dwarves and Trolls -20

hope this helps

Having dealt with Hamlet growth here's Outpost growth:

initial outpost = 300

Each turn there is a chance the outpost may grow between 100-300 and/or shrink by 100-200

Base positive growth rate = Race % {as detailed in Antony's post}
Base negative growth rate = 5%

Positive Growth rate = (Base positive growth rate + positive modifiers)
Negative Growth rate = (Base negative growth rate + negative modifiers)

Positive modifiers
+1% x max city size
+5% for each iron and silver
+10% for each gems, coal, gold, mithril, admantium, quork and crysx
+10% - if stream of life
+20% - if Gaia's blessing

Negative modifiers

+5% - evil presence
+10% - for each of pestilence, famine and chaos rift

A d100 is thrown to decide if the outpost will grow - if successful a d3 is thrown for increase in population (100-300)

A d100 is thrown to decide if the outpost will shrink - if successful a d2 is thrown for decrease in population (100-200)

An outpost can shrink and grow in the same turn.

(November 21st, 2013, 13:43)agerweb Wrote: Hamlet Growth is not random the formula is:

base growth = (maximum city size - population +1) / 2 {rounded up}

population growth = base growth x 10 +20 {if granary} +30 {if farmers market} + race modifier

population growth = population growth + housing bonus {rounded down to the nearest 10}

when growth reaches 1000 you get an addition to the population any remainder carried forward

maximum city size is calculated as follows based on the 21 tiles within the city limits {5 x 5 minus 4 corner tiles}:

+ 2 x wildgame
+ 2 x sorcery node
+ 2 x nature node
+ 1.5 x grassland
+ 0.5 x hill
+ 0.5 x swamp
+ 0.5 x forest
+2 for granary
+3 for farmers market

Regardless of this maximum size the actual population can not go over 25

The housing bonus is when building set to "housing"

housing bonus = population growth x ( workers / population + 0.1 {if sawmill} + 0.15 {if builders hall} )

Race Modifiers are:

Barbarian +20
Lizardmen +10
Draconians, Gnolls, Klackons and Nomads -10
Dark and High elves, Dwarves and Trolls -20

hope this helps
Thanks for the post. Unfortunately, my observations do not match your claim. I guess you mean that nature node on forest only counts for 2 and not 2.5. Right?
Observation 1: city has 1 nature node (on forest), 5 grassland, 2 hill, 1 swamp, 3 forest, 2 mountain, 7 shore. Adds up to 12.5 for max city size. Current city size is 4, which you probably meant by stating “population”. Right? So base growth = (12.5-4+1)/2 {rounded up}, which is 4.75 rounded up to 5. Population growth = 5 * 10 + 0 = 50, since high men & no granary.
But the displayed growth is 60 (not doing housing).

Observation 2: city has 2 grassland, 2 forest, 4 tundra, 13 shore. Adds up to 4 for max city size. Current city size is 1. So base growth = (4-1+1)/2 {rounded up}, which is 2. Population growth = 2 * 10 - 10 = 10, since klackon & no granary.
But the displayed growth is 30 (not doing housing).

“when growth reaches 1000 you get an addition to the population any remainder carried forward”. No, the remainder is lost. It does not carry forward.

Your housing bonus formula is also likely to be wrong since it depends on your population growth formula.

Where did you get all this info from? E.g. the manual is known to be wrong on many issues, including city growth.

The food production numbers in the terrain viewer are wrong (for example, swamps are 0, not 0.5), which results in the other numbers being wrong. There's some discussion of this over on the the wiki.

All the formulas are in the official strategy guide which is what i used years ago when I had a go at coding the game. It includes all the combat mechanisms as well. Of course they could have made errors or not mentioned something. The guide does say that the surveyor reports contributions from nodes wrongly.

If you observe differently then that could be an error in the formula or an error in the display - is it consistently 10 out or is that just coincidental in your examples?

On the contribution of nodes - I don't think they are cumulative with the underlying terrain, because the guide specifically states that wildgame/forest is and doesn't for nodes.

(November 22nd, 2013, 05:10)agerweb Wrote: It includes all the combat mechanisms as well.
Combat mechanisms are also wrong in the OSG.

(November 22nd, 2013, 05:10)agerweb Wrote: is it consistently 10 out or is that just coincidental in your examples?
I don’t understand. My observations often did not match your claim, but sometimes they did, which is probably due to divisions and roundings. I suspect that there are multiple errors in various locations including data, formulas, and displays.

In reMOM, we won’t be able to reproduce MOM perfectly due to incomplete knowledge on MOM, but that is not a problem.