Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Hamlet growth

since can't make a perfect copy, and don't know the exact formulas used in 1.31, we could just take those from the strategy guide. values (like swamp) are easily moddable anyways.
dance!

(November 22nd, 2013, 17:15)letsdance Wrote: since can't make a perfect copy, and don't know the exact formulas used in 1.31, we could just take those from the strategy guide. values (like swamp) are easily moddable anyways.
As far as I can tell, the only problem with the formulas he's given is that the food values for certain tile types is wrong, which results in the wrong calculated max population (this affects the actual max population of the city, not just growth).

Getting the max city size right is indeed important for growth - but if you think the OSG food values for tiles is wrong (which are the ones I used) you can always change them.

Do you use the production, money and food formula from the OSG because these also depend on tile values but not the same ones?

There's a discussion about river mouth tiles and nature nodes in the talk section here; see the comments by rjak. Also swamp comments by rjak here.

(November 22nd, 2013, 20:27)Anthony Wrote: There's a discussion about river mouth tiles and nature nodes in the talk section here; see the comments by rjak. Also swamp comments by rjak here.

Ah - so the OSG is wrong in two places - 2.5 for nature and 0 for swamps - I guess all the others have been tested and found to be correct.

Not sure what is meant by the +0.5 to maximum food - as nature node factors only appear in the growth (2.5) and production (0.03) according to the OSG. Unless that 's something else they have wrong.

(November 23rd, 2013, 11:17)agerweb Wrote: Not sure what is meant by the +0.5 to maximum food - as nature node factors only appear in the growth (2.5) and production (0.03) according to the OSG. Unless that 's something else they have wrong.
Maximum food and maximum population are the same (unless >25) -- once food production exceeds that value, any additional farmers are halved.

terrain values in reMOM can easily be edited by anyone who can use a text or (better) xml editor. we can fix those as easily anytime. the formula is the important part, not the food value of some terrain types.
dance!

(November 23rd, 2013, 13:35)Anthony Wrote:
(November 23rd, 2013, 11:17)agerweb Wrote: Not sure what is meant by the +0.5 to maximum food - as nature node factors only appear in the growth (2.5) and production (0.03) according to the OSG. Unless that 's something else they have wrong.
Maximum food and maximum population are the same (unless >25) -- once food production exceeds that value, any additional farmers are halved.

Having reread the wiki I am now more confused it says it adds to max pop:

"by an additional +2 beyond a mundane map tile, for a total of +2.5"

That suggests that a factor of +2 given by the OSG is correct for a nature node but it is additive to the underlying tile (if its 0.5) except if its grassland then it would be 3.5.

I also can still not see any formula in which you would put the 0.5 mentioned below:

"a production bonus of +3%, a simultaneous boost of +0.5 to the Maximum Food threshold and Maximum Population of the town, and the ability to construct a Sawmill"

(November 24th, 2013, 08:35)agerweb Wrote: That suggests that a factor of +2 given by the OSG is correct for a nature node but it is additive to the underlying tile (if its 0.5) except if its grassland then it would be 3.5.
A nature node tile is always forest, so it's always going to be 2.5.
(November 24th, 2013, 08:35)agerweb Wrote: I also can still not see any formula in which you would put the 0.5 mentioned below:

"a production bonus of +3%, a simultaneous boost of +0.5 to the Maximum Food threshold and Maximum Population of the town, and the ability to construct a Sawmill"
Half-points on maximum food threshold are added together and only rounded down at the end.

Good - the OSG is right when it says +2 for a node and +0.5 for forest - there is half a chance its right about the other factors as well.

As to the other problem I am confused but interested, the other city relevant formulas from the OSG I used were:

FOOD
farm Rate = 2 or 3 {if halfling or animists guild}
free food = 2 {if granary} + 2{if forestersG} + 3{if farmersM)
minimum farmers = (population - free food) / farm rate {rounded up}
food surplus = (farmers - minimum farmers) x farm rate

PRODUCTION
base points = workers x 2 or 3{for klacks & dwarves} + (farmers / 2) { rounded up}
total points = base points + ( base points x ( 0.25 {if sawmill} + 0.25 {if forestersG} + 0.5 {if mechaniciansG} + 0.5 {minersG}
+ terrain bonus )) {rounded down}

terrain bonus being - hill, forest, desert and nature get 0.03 per tile - mountain and chaos get 0.05 per tile (effectively these are percentages).

In none of these is there room for a +0.5 for nature nodes as claimed in the wiki - the only effect of the nature node on maximum population is the +2 previously discussed. Am I missing a formula?