I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Terrain special likelihood

I cant seem to find, what the probabilities of each terrain specials are. Does anyone know?

What, noone knows?

Sorry, no idea.

The fact that the specials+nodes may bulk up and are not forced to spread evenly, is one of many awesomenesses of MoM.

I don’t know, but the way to estimate it is to generate random map 10 times, make map visible. Count them up then divide special count by total tiles. Calculate averages, standard deviations, and confidence intervals.
I also agree that their distribution does not appear to be uniform. Estimating their original distribution generator function from actual maps is harder, but doable. Someone upload 10, but preferably 30 visible saved maps on both planes, then I can estimate.
Not that it matters much to know. This should be also configurable in XML and UI.

I can look in the code if you (VM) really need/want it.

That would be great! Thanks!

I distinctly remember seeing some docs about this. There were all kinds of info on random map generation, like, how there is 8 rivers and 8 forests and such. I just ned to find it...

I recall seeing the information, but I can't recall where. In any case, someone seems to have found it for the wiki:
http://masterofmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Terr...f_Specials

Superb. thanks!

maybe make it moddable =) use some static percentage and put it in the ruleset.
dance!

Quick word for nodes: the game tries to make sure that nodes are scattered + - regularly.
In code, IIRC, the map is separated into big quandrants and then the nodes are distributed, 1 by 1, into each quadrant. I am not sure if the game retries in case of fail (The nodes have a discreet distance... 8? I cannot remember precisely.)

You may / you should certainly do the regular distribution your way, just note the original idea, preventing player frustration with lack of nodes.