I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Possible to beat Guardian with single super-dreadnought?

Well the developers neglected to put ADC on the Impossible Guardian even though the Hard Guardian has it, but that was corrected in the 1.40M patch so to do that we would have to play vanilla 1.3. Totally doable of course but that's the issue.

(November 5th, 2015, 14:29)Psillycyber Wrote: So, what was the point of all of this? Well, it's not just that the player can beat the Guardian, but that the player can, in fact, at a certain point design a better ship than the Guardian and out-class, one-on-one, anything that the Ancients put together. Kind of a cool thought, in my book.

Don't get too cocky! Remember that the Guardian ship is a relic, abandoned and drifting alone for hundreds of thousands of years. There's plenty of reason to think that it is no longer in peak operating condition.

And for all we know, if could have been the equivalent of an Ancient TIE fighter.

Yep: My avatar is indeed a Yehat terminator copilot. I obviously recognize the your avatar's identity, Thrawn, but not the game it comes from: I only know him from TIE Fighter and the books.

(November 6th, 2015, 15:04)thrawn Wrote: Tested creating a new game and attacking the guardian with 1.4m and it still doesn't repair.

I wonder if there's a problem with the installation? On the rare occasions when I've killed the Guardian of late I've ... tended to one-shot it. But Psillycyber reported upthread that his first attempts to kill it with a single ship failed because they couldn't outrun its auto-repair, so....

Okay, I just tested it, and it appears that the Guardian still does not have advanced damage control on impossible in 1.40. Disregard what I said earlier. That earlier battle against the Guardian was with a ship that went down in two rounds, and I guess I assumed that a turn had not yet elapsed for the auto-repair to kick in. I was assuming that the OSG was accurate on this point. I must have not been paying close enough attention to the damage totals

Cool! And yes, I havea copy of UQM (there are probably newer versions than mine) which is actually the source of the screenshot I cropped for my avatar!

This design

kills the guardian in the first Attack - and it is cheap too, my 200 pop UR world can build 5 of those in one turn ...

With ATT12 vs. the Guardian DEF 9, the CTH is 80%. Against class ix shields, the 322 maulers deal 322 * 0.8 * (60-9) = 13137.6 points of damage. The trick is to use minimum maneuver speed in order to free power for the beams and rely on the transporters to get into firing range and get the first shot. An oracle device might improve firepower even more but wasn't available.

ignatius

Hey, neat idea, ignatius! Just more proof that, in the lategame, offense rules in MoO1.

What were your tech levels when you designed that ship?

(July 6th, 2016, 14:38)Psillycyber Wrote: Hey, neat idea, ignatius! Just more proof that, in the lategame, offense rules in MoO1.
thx. Yes, it's a pity I virtually never get to play this far.
Quote:What were your tech levels when you designed that ship?
Maxed out or very close to it, iirc.

btw: is it just me, or has the screenshot of the ship disappeared in my post above? (I inserted it here again, but still fail to see it)

ignatius

I see the screenshot just fine in both places. (?)

I had a game going when I found this thread. Medium, Hard, with the Sakkra. So I decided to experiment with this. I played until 2672. Tech levels cp75/cn78/ff64/p63/pp69/w90. I tested several weapons. Goal was a turn 1 slag of the Guardian. 
Basic design before weapons. Warp 3 engine, combat speed 1, 600 hp, no shields, no ECM, BC 11, battle scanner, teleporter.
Weapons 166 stellar converter, or 305 tri-focus plasma, or 168 maulers. 
All did about the same damage. Slagging the Guardian on turn 1. Ran each 5 times all wins.
Against a 10k Guardian you will need some higher tech levels. Average per gun damage was about 55 SC, 54 m, 26 tfp.
I also ran a super tech dreadnought with only 56 Stellar Converters. Warp 8, combat speed 7, 3600 hp, bc11, specials (innertial nullifier, ADC, and Displacement Device. It won easy. This ship would be more fun against a run away AI also
PS it had 1 missile on it also.