As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Breaking NAP worth it

The background:
I'm currently playing a new game on impossible huge Psilon

I'm in the right side of the map and on my top left is the Meklars that have an erratic leader that i have a NAP with
Right behind them and a bit lower there are humans which is diplomatic passive. Perfect combo IMHO for a long time friendship and trade.

I've colonize upward and pretty much got that corner cover and close off for the Meklars
however im currently racing with the humans on the bottom of my empire .
They did send one long range colony ship into a Ultra poor plant right next to my starting planet that i hadn't wasted my time to get yet.
i cut them off by quickly building a colony ship and take the planet before them. I really don't want them t have a planet in the middle of my empire.

The issue:
Humans and i are racing for the planets at the bottom. they have colonization ships down there. i have scout with NPG and gun board (4NPG). my ships are faster better armed . they have longer range but i do have planets closer so total range is about the same.
To avoid their colony ships getting planets i put my gunboat and scouts there. but since we have a NAP they can just colonize it below my ships.

I took the chance of breaking NAP so they couldn't land and keeping them off a big chunk of planets that way, that I can now freely colonize.
The status when from relaxed to neutral due to this diplomatic exchange

questions:
Was it worth it?
Did i get hit by an oath-breaker?
if so can i fix that oath-breaker by contributing some currency or worthless tech (giving them range 5 when they have 6 etc)

Its easily a bunch of 4 planets i get for myself plus it cuts off maybe 8 more planets for them to even reach.

Other info:
I'm am :
1st in technology.
1st in population.
2nd or 3rd on production. (Darn meklars and their enhanced robo tech)
2nd or 3rd in planets.
I'm current;y trying to get radioactive landing to get an UR planet
I have +40 transforming and soil enrichment so i can get the planets up to a decent size. and robot tech 3 width IDT8 to reduce cost.
Waste 80% and ER3. so i believe i can get the planets up to be very productive pretty fast.

My opinions on your questions, in reverse order:
- Gifts of cash and worthless tech provide small one-time boosts to relations. They do not "fix" oath-breaking.
- I believe you are considered an "oath breaker" when you cancel a deal, yes.
- Sure, it was worth it anyway. You have a tech and population lead as Psilons on Impossible. You're going to win this one either way, and it's probably faster to interdict colonies in advance than to take them later on.

(September 28th, 2016, 00:54)RefSteel Wrote: My opinions on your questions, in reverse order:
- Gifts of cash and worthless tech provide small one-time boosts to relations. They do not "fix" oath-breaking.
- I believe you are considered an "oath breaker" when you cancel a deal, yes.
- Sure, it was worth it anyway. You have a tech and population lead as Psilons on Impossible. You're going to win this one either way, and it's probably faster to interdict colonies in advance than to take them later on.

T.Y. for the info

I though i read in the OSG that when you give a tech away it counts as one "ada boy" and it will reduce one "warning" from them or something along that line. I couldn't find my OSG so i was confussed if it would counter act an oathbreaker.

and yes after a few turns relations ship spurred up again and humans are back at calm or relaxed relations.

my plan is to when i run out of planets to take over. im going to take humans on my side again and go rampage against the erratic meklars.

but i think the game is going to be settle in a few round as alot of planet are comming online (aka done with factory/populations and ready to give full production) which will proppeller me ahead of cmpetition.

I had a really strong opening and it carried me far. and not really missing any important techs in the beginning. ( my prior game i had no god weapons or engines so i was stuck at warp 1 forever which strongly hindered my expansion)

Giving technology tribute does indeed help permanently and is a good idea to do to anyone you want long term diplomacy with. Gifts of BC provide only a one-time benefit and I mostly use them when I'm desperate for a peace treaty.

[Image: riUOsie.jpg]

Thanks for the complete information and reference, Tiltowait! I thought there was also a penalty to diplo with all other races for being an oath-breaker (which was bugged in the original game so it applied to the wrong race, but fixed in kyrub's patch) but I may be mistaken. (I know kyrub's patch fixed a bug of this nature, but it may have been just with the race with whom the oath was broken.)

Thank you so much for the snippet. at least i know my memory served me right.
I still can find my OSG frown

Download Master of Orion official strategy guide here:

https://filesend.co/f/official-strategy-guide.pdf

(October 9th, 2016, 12:12)Tiltowait Wrote: Download Master of Orion official strategy guide here:

https://filesend.co/f/official-strategy-guide.pdf

Thanks a lot of did located my physical copy.

my wife put it in her bookshelf... mischief lol

but I''ll be keeping this one around

I also appreciate the link! Had a copy back in middle school.