Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Reversing to Orion - project 1oom

(October 5th, 2018, 23:19)1oom_aaron Wrote: How many times I have written that bug reports should come with a save? At this point I can only attribute to malice.

More of a difference of philosophy. Producing a fleet with 6 designs takes all of 30 seconds. At best I might be able to trim that down by a few seconds with a save file, and then I have another file on my dropbox I need to remember to remove but will probably end up staying there for a few months.

A few seconds certainly isn't worth fighting over, or making a big deal about though. I dunno, maybe for future "create a new game, perform a couple actions, and immediately see issue" scenarios I'll provide a save anyway just so we can remain friends smile

(October 5th, 2018, 23:19)1oom_aaron Wrote: _sdl1 calls this "Off".

Does SDL2 call it anything? :P

The not amused at all project coder replies:

(October 6th, 2018, 00:29)Jeff Graw Wrote: More of a difference of philosophy.

Not respecting the repeated, explicit and wholly reasonable requests of providing what the coder needs? Given "don't be a dick" is a philosophy, perhaps you have a point.

Quote:Producing a fleet with 6 designs takes all of 30 seconds.

Let's see... start a game, scrap all non-small ships, design N small ships, select one to build, next turn, select next ship to build, ... in 30 seconds?

What I actually did was find the first suitable save without unlimited range, load that, added missing designs, saved, savecomv -o t 7 foo.txt, edit an existing orbit fleet to have one of each, saveconv foo.txt foo.bin, -load foo.bin. Certainly more than 30 seconds.

Quote:At best I might be able to trim that down by a few seconds with a save file, and then I have another file on my dropbox I need to remember to remove but will probably end up staying there for a few months.

Bullshit. Zip it along with the screenshot. Or better yet, use GitLab. As a developer, you must be well aware that bug reports continue to exist after closing for a reason.

Quote:I dunno, maybe for future "create a new game, perform a couple actions, and immediately see issue" scenarios I'll provide a save anyway just so we can remain friends

Finally some progress. Wow.

Guess how long typing all the above garbage took? More than a few seconds.

Quote:Does SDL2 call it anything?

As of v0.9-9-g6764b20, it's also "Off".
Support Free Software projects!

I finally had (a little) more time to play with this, and figured I'd point out a couple things:

*Difference from v1.3*

- When you enter the "Game" menu from the main screen and choose "Quit," 1oom immediately exits to the desktop (or DOS or whatever OS you're using). In v1.3 (and kyrub's patch) quitting during an active game would instead exit to the Orion starting menu (from which "Quit to DOS" or 1oom's "Quit to OS" would exit completely. Though some of the UI extras may obviate the need for this extra-step-to-fully-quit arrangement, in v1.3 this behavior was commonly used via keyboard commands G-Q-C to quickly make an autosave and immediately continue from it, as this would auto-adjust sliders to bring all planets up to minimum clean and would circumvent certain bugs, including the following:

*(Minor, Long-Standing) Bug Report*

- Version from 1oom_log.txt: 1oom v0.9-9-g6764b20: main:game ui:classic hw:sdl2 os:win32

- PBX files in use: None

- History: This bug was also present in both v1.3 and kyrub's unofficial patch, and presumably in all previous versions of 1oom.

- Desription of bug effect: When your ships first achieve orbit at an AI colony beyond the range of your scanners, you get a scouting report of the world, but not of the AI colony itself: You can't see the quantity of factories, pollution, or population on the planet when you click on the planet with the yellow "?" icon even though you have a ship in orbit. Moreover, if you lack contact with the owning race and you send your fleet away before ending turn (unless you save first with your fleet in orbit and load from the save game) then after you end your turn (or save the game with the fleet already dispatched elsewhere and load that save) you will still be unable to see the last-known colony information, and the colony's flag will disappear from your galactic map. This bug is corrected if you end the turn with at least one ship still in orbit at the planet and/or if you load from a save created while you had a ship in orbit, including the autosave if you just quit -> continue.

- Relevant save files: Attached, zipped as "colviewsaves" - Save1 was made prior to dispatching the Scout at Guradas to another world, so loading that save shows the colony's information correctly. After creating Save1 (but NOT quitting/loading) I sent the fleet away and created Save2, in which the bug can thus be seen in effect at Guradas.

- Bonus bug description: There's a ~~similar bug in v1.3, kyrub's patch, and 1oom when you acquire a tech mid-turn (e.g. by exchanging tech with an AI civ or threatening to attack and receiving tech as tribute). The effects of the new tech do not apply until after you either end your turn or save the game afterward and then load the resulting save. This applies for scanners (your visibility doesn't improve immediately) and for projects like terraforming; the saves I've attached demonstrate it for a simple case of IT+10. I don't remember if it also applies for new weapons or equipment (and/or miniaturization) for ship design purposes, but I suspect it does. If you'd like, I'll experiment with that.

- Relevant additional save files: Attached, zipped as "terrasaves" - Save3 was made prior to talking with the Sakkra. If you load that save and ask to exchange tech, they'll offer Improved Terra +10. Trade something for it, and you'll find that your planets still show their old max pop with no "+" sign to show they can be improved, and the ECO slider does not switch to "TERRA" if increased. Save4 was made after talking to the Sakkra and trading for IT10. Since we have IT10 when the game loads, we can use the tech normally, with "+" signs and "TERRA" displays appear as appropriate.

- Caveat: Arguably, fixing this bug would represent a change in gameplay from v1.3: It would no longer be possible to e.g. trade for IT+10 and then spend one last turn growing as much pre-terraforming pop as possible before starting the terraforming projects if someone wants to do that for some reason.

Attached Files
.zip   colviewsaves.zip (Size: 8.42 KB / Downloads: 1)
.zip   terrasaves.zip (Size: 9.29 KB / Downloads: 1)

The project coder replies:

(October 18th, 2018, 03:58)RefSteel Wrote: Quit

Fixed in v0.9-14. I prefer (F10+)Ctrl-Esc so I didn't even notice this.

(October 18th, 2018, 03:58)RefSteel Wrote: *(Minor, Long-Standing) Bug Report*

Fixed.

(October 18th, 2018, 03:58)RefSteel Wrote: Bonus bug

Fixed.

(October 18th, 2018, 03:58)RefSteel Wrote: I don't remember if it also applies for new weapons or equipment (and/or miniaturization) for ship design purposes, but I suspect it does.  If you'd like, I'll experiment with that.

The bug was in not calling game_update_tech_util. You can peek at the code to see what was not updated. No real need to experiment, but more tests is better.

(October 18th, 2018, 03:58)RefSteel Wrote: Caveat

I chose to ignore this. Noting it is appreciated.

Thanks for the reports! A few weeks left to get v1.0 in shape.

EDIT:

Thinking more about this I came to the conclusion that readjusting eco (or adjusting state in general) on load is silly so I got rid of it (v0.9-16). Added readjust eco item to the extra menu, so E-R accomplishes what G-Q-C did.

Let me know if there's still some pre/post-load inconsistency lurking.

1oom v1.0 has been released. Changes:
  • quit brings back to main menu
  • clicking on the Tech screen lights sets the slider to bonus limit
  • governor color coding based on where the rest is spent
  • extra menu (bottom-left corner, shortcut E) expanded
  • a handful of bugs fixed

Source code: https://gitlab.com/KilgoreTroutMaskReplicant/1oom
Binaries: https://gitlab.com/KilgoreTroutMaskRepli.../tags/v1.0
Homepage: https://kilgoretroutmaskreplicant.gitlab.io/plain-html/

This is the final release.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C code glitter in the dark near the A20 gate. All those moments will be stored in git... like tears in PNG... Time to die.

- Kilgore Trout Mask Replicant Hobo Chang Ba With A Shotgun*

* see Galapagos

Good job, congrats!

Congratulations on the v1.0 release!

I ran a game, and noticed a few things - the AI isn't prioritizing engines on its designs enough, using Retros well into 2400s. I am not sure if this is vanilla behavior or not, but it is severely hampering the fleet capabilities of AI.

Another thing that happened was Sakkra doing the usual proclamation of requiring more space for colonies and thus cancelling our... trade agreement? even though when checking the races window it is clear that it was the NAP that was cancelled.

Attached Files
.zip   breaktradeagreement.zip (Size: 26.04 KB / Downloads: 0)

Much-belated congrats on 1oom v1.0! Thanks for all the meticulous work on the project; I hope it wound up meeting your hopes and expectations!

Since it looks like KilgoreTroutMaskReplicant has abandoned the project, someone else has started a fork of 1oom. I don't know if the new maintainer, Tapani, checks this forum, so if you have any bug reports, it's probably best to open an issue on his Gitlab repo.

Hello everybody,

happy to see there are other MOO fans around. Thanks for the tip RFS-81!

So I'm the guy who kinda took over 1oom code after the original author decided he was finished with it. So, if you have bugs, opinions, suggestions, wishes etc please pipe up :-)

Some ideas behind my fork are/were:
* Fix bugs and issues
* Make an UI/HW _with_ some scaling, something the original author strongly discouraged
* Make an AI that does not cheat. Always hated cheating AIs, and it was kindof a teenage dream of mine to make an AI for a 4x game. Now I have the chance. :-)
* Maybe improve on the esthetics of some of the new graphical elements enabled by uiextra. While the code the original author left is very nice indeed, the looks of some his UI changes (like new race selection screen) .. have room for some improvement.
* Perhaps enable most bugfixes by default, but provide a "-classic" command line switch for the hard-core gamer who prefers the bug-by-bug similarity. Changing the philosophy to making 1oom the way the Master of Orion 1 was INTENDED to be, and not only recreate the way the last version IS.