I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Imperium 46 - Ground Pounders

Imperium 46 - Ground Pounders

Race: Bulrathi
Difficulty: Hard
Galaxy: Small
Races: 5

Closing date: July 31, 2018, reports to be posted August 1, 2018

Variant: Player cannot build ships with colony modules. Player can make use of starting colony ship.

Scoring: Score is simply the year the game ends plus a modifier.  Modifier is based on type of victory: -50 for Extermination, -20 for Domination (>50% of total vote), -10 for Election (<50% of total vote), +20 for Council Loss, +50 for Extermination Loss.

Rambunctious Brawler Overbear the 46th, often called "Arbo" by his friends and sparring partners, was always a pugnacious creature.   From a very young age he operated on the assumption that he was the pinnacle of beardom.  His muscles were stronger, his claws were sharper and his jaws bit harder than anyone else on Ursa, at least according to him.  This attitude, coupled with a strong inclination to attack first and find out what was said later served Arbo well during the Formation Wars of the late 23th century.  He rose quickly through the ranks of the Ursa Home Guard and when the war ended in 2298 he was poised to assume leadership over the Bulrathi.  He spend the next 18 months fending off challenges from upstart bear dictators and consolidating his power, and on New Years Day, 2300 he was officially crowned Emperor. 

Now firmly in command of the Bulrathi Arbo's aggressive nature is in full effect.  Fresh from the bloody Formation Wars followed by nearly two years of combat with rivals for the throne of Ursa our much-feared Bearperor is anxious to test his metal against the other residents of the galaxy.  Aside from the lone colony ship presented to him by his subjects when he assumed the throne he has no intention of following peaceful expansion procedures.  Instead he plans to carve a place for himself in history with his own claws.

Attached Files
.gam   RBO46.GAM (Size: 57.65 KB / Downloads: 21)

Sounds appealing! A bit of a break has opened up in my schedule for the next month or so, so I'd be up for it.

I tried this exact variant on my own privately a while back on impossible, and it definitely seems possible even on impossible, although I lost that particular game by a hair (in particular a bad early council vote which created a completely lost position, which wasn't aided by the fact that to acquire planets through conquest you are...ahem...pretty much obliged to tick some races off).

So, I guess I would prefer to see how it plays on hard difficulty. That way, maybe people won't be intimidated by it, and we can still compete on finish date with even if a few people find it too easy.

A diplo loss would be a major risk, since wars of conquest would be required.

I think the starting colony ship would be needed, or else the start rolled needs to have a close neighbor or two so conquest can begin early. An isolated start would mean the player is stuck at one (or two) planets for some time while the AIs expand out to mulitple worlds; not sure that big a starting deficit could be overcome on impossible.

Ok I've got a start ready to go. I'll get the game up in the next couple of days with a planned closure date of the very end of July.

First post updated with starting save and game details. Good luck everyone!

Thanks for putting this together, Ianus. thumbsup I will try to find time to play this one, although this month is frantically busy for me. frown The concept looks like a lot of fun.

Stickied! Thanks for sponsoring this one, Ianus - and good luck to everyone who gives it a try whirl spin full-speed charge with a quarter ton of meat, muscle, teeth and claws!

I played some turns.
e: snip

Hi Coeurva, thanks for playing and good luck!

You should know that for Imperium games all players hold off on reporting until the event has closed (August 1 for this game) and then all players post a full game report in the Tournament Report and Discussion Subforum. Could you kindly edit your post to remove the spoiled text and then post your full report on Aug 1? Then you will be able to compare with other players' results. Cheers!

I wasn't aware of that rule and frankly don't think it makes sense because "it's Realms Beyond", competitors will not read spoilers; but I'll obey the custom nonetheless (also because it's Realms Beyond). e: On second thought it's possible that someone would assume the spoiler tag was a joke or unimportant, or that info would leak via a non-participant reader, I can understand the caution in that rule.