For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Freeciv LongTurn (LT57 report)

(January 19th, 2021, 16:18)civac2 Wrote: The triremes can run out of fuel on river tiles? That seems wrong.

You buy courthouses in your island cities to make them productive?

Agreed.  The whole "ship fuel" mechanic is full of unforeseen edge-cases.  But that's how things will work for this game.

Courthouses cut the amount of Corruption and Waste that a city suffers by half.
A city losing 1 Food, 2 Production and 13 Trade, after building a courthouse will only lose 1 Production and 6 Trade.

There are some technicalities I need to figure out such as what "-50%" really means.
If a city is producing 10 Trade, and is far enough away to suffer 120% corruption, what will it produce after a courthouse:
  • 5 Trade (Corruption is capped at 100%, and thus reduced to 50% by the courthouse)
  • 4 Trade (Corruption is not capped, but the 120% is halved to 60% loss)
  • 3 Trade (Corruption is not capped, and 120% - 50% = 70% loss)
I suspect that it's case #2 where it just gets cut in half, but I hope it's case #1

Turn 54

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: Y3fI2aK.png]
Building the migrants and re-growing probably pushed Lubeck back on the charts.

Demographics
[Image: GCDfUiQ.png]
Still #1 in pop and #1 in Economy.
The regrowth of my top cities shuffled citizens away from high production tiles, so pollution is low again, and my production lower than reality.
5 people have a bigger army than I do...

Science
[Image: 6anubnD.png]
Pondering philosophy...slumbering until my research giant awakens...

Upgrades
[Image: MafFyxX.png]
Unit upgrade and city re-growth.

Arctic Explorer
[Image: YC9I9W3.png]
No minimap available here, but hopefully you can figure out where this is.
My caravel is sailing to try to pick up the Slovakian Settler, and saw an Aleut Explorer also investigating this barren ice-sheet.

Migrant Maneuvers
[Image: AJHZ8Au.png]
The 3 migrants I built, are going to boost these cities, to allow them to achieve their growth sooner.

Homeland

I've been experimenting with UI layout options, and so there's now the chat and messages pop up in their own window.  Still not quite how I'd prefer, that life.
Riga and Hannober are now boosted up to Size 8.  Hannober is ready to grow and make use of its new harbor, but Riga will take a bit more time.
Wismer is going to have it's courthouse completed to reduce corruption and drain the swamp.  Ok, technically the workers nearby will drain the swamp, but I liked my joke.
Hameln will get a market finally.  It was next on the list of "most profitable cities to put markets in".
Hamborg gets a Harbor so that it can maintain its high growth rate even after running out of land.  It will actually be able to let some neighboring cities use some of its grassland too, since it's gonna get +2 food from the fish and whale it's already working.
I'm building Caravans in several cities so that I can complete my important Small Wonders:  Leonardo's Workshop, and Sun Tzu's Art of War.
With a little more tweaking, I think I should be able to have Leo's built on Turn 56.

City Overview
[Image: HR7SYHr.png]
Here's a list of all of my cities ordered by their Trade income.
My top 3 cities provide 40% of my total income (the asterisk indicates that they are celebrating).
There is twice as much trade generated above the blue line than below it (inclusive).
I've been looking at this pondering how to spend my money most efficiently.
I think I'll probably aim to fully develop my top 10 cities, and then leave the others for later.  I'm itching to start researching again, but I don't want to do that until I've built Libraries.
8 Libraries (cost: 960g) would get me coverage of 2/3 of my income, so would be reasonable.

A lot of thinking to do.

Also note how many cities have a 1 next to their growth time!

Turn 55

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: 7ajHHHs.png]
Bunch of Irish cities must have grown, displacing others from the list.

Demographics
[Image: SlDXxPa.png]
Gained a 13 population last turn!  3 from the migrant transfer, and 10 from growth.  That's a lot! smile
Still at #1 econ, mid-ranked in production and military.
Looks like people are actually spending money on research now, though.

Science
[Image: SS9hVgD.png]
Drip, drip, drip.  Biding my time until I buy my libraries.

Upgrades
[Image: zFReXJ7.png]
Upgrades and plague.  Bremen was scheduled to grow as well, so this costs me 3 turns of growth in that city.  Annoying.  But Bremen isn't going to be a city that maxes-out anyways.  
It will cede land to its neighbors when push comes to shove and they need to grow.

Diplomat Delivery
[Image: z1mNmZv.png]
I did a joint operation with kamBLR to deliver a Diplomat to Sherden so he could establish an embassy with kevin551 and give our team intel.

[Image: Zj0UE4X.png]
My ship then sailed southwest and spotted a Czech caravel.  Probably bringing reinforcements to Sherden.

Sardinian Knights
[Image: yYKPFBm.png]
kamBLR's pike and worker which were busy mining a hill are killed by a knight attack.
Why he thought economic development was his priority in a war-zone, I'm not sure.
It would have been more valuable to have completed a second road out of Nightcap so that units could sally forth, or fast ones could even attack Sherden directly.
But that probably would have gotten killed too...

Ferry to Bronn
[Image: 2qKHaLs.png]
I used a pair of Caravels to transfer units from Breslau to Bronn.
Not pictured: any caravels whatsoever.  Oops.
So I drew lines.
Blue line is the ship that took the ships out of Breslau (that ship's home city was Lubeck)
Orange line is the ship based in Derpt which started the turn out at sea.
Green line represents the Elephant, Pikeman, and Diplomat that were transferred.

[Image: gC1U13w.png]
This is the menu that came up when I was loading units in Breslau and there were two transports to choose from.

Bronn and Osilia
[Image: AXi6LAf.png]
On the lower right, I have a caravel that picked up the Slovakian Arctic Settler, and will bring it somewhere useful next turn.  Will have to consult with cgalik on where he wants it.
Next to Bargen, my workers build a Mine on the Iron deposit.
Next to Goslar, the worker makes roads through the forest.

Around Bronn, the siege continues, with Ste placing units on valuable tiles to weaken the city's production.

River Attack
[Image: rt2SfwT.png]
YKnot built a Trireme in Bronn, and in a joint operation, it sailed down-river to let his v2 Swordsman attack the vPikemen in the swamps before they could spend the time to fortify.
The Sword had a 68% chance to win, but failed and only took off 3HP.

[Image: aBEmlfG.png]
My Elephant was backup, and after a bit of consternation, I took the gamble on a 62% attack, and won.  
Interlopers destroyed, Peat freed for use.
Trireme then sailed back into Bronn with a victorious but sadly lighter-weight army.

Breton Navy
[Image: iDKZKwn.png]
West of this, at the distant end of the Breton Homeland, YKnot took another peek at the Czech lands just across the water.
(Sorry about no minimap for context.)

[Image: SW2lwax.png]
He then sailed over to Lannuon to join up with a second warship.
Our naval policy is that warships seeking combat must adopt the "Buddy System" so that if one dies, its buddy can take revenge.
If that Czech Caravel doesn't run home, it'll be dead next turn.

Caravans for Workshop
[Image: w3h5w5G.png]
I send in two Caravans to work on Leonardo's Workshop, which will grant me an extra 2 Upgrades per turn.
Mount Vectron has enough production to bring the project to completion next turn.

Homelands

Wismer gets a Marketplace rushed after its courthouse was built, turning it into a decently wealthy city.
Kiel gets a Marketplace too, because I'm feeling generous.  I'm planning on having a bunch of cities celebrate, and you can't do that without the luxury boost from a Market.
Riga gets a Granary, which will cut down on food waste, allowing it to grow faster.
Spice Harbor gets an Aqueduct just in time to be able to grow.
Mount Vectron will complete Leonardo's Workshop.
Lubeck and Vectron's Glory keep building Caravans, because I still need Sun Tzu's

I also start work on many Amphitheaters, in support of my Celebration plan.  Although those cities might have enough potential luxuries to have enough Happy citizens, all it takes is one unhappy guy to ruin the aprty.

Turn 56

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: yv6Vcc6.png]
And now it's my cities on the list again.

Demographics
[Image: 9Ju9gfL.png]
Smaller population growth, but wow, look at that production now!

Science
[Image: HjvCblX.png]
Slowly accumulating bulbs.  I think I should have gone for Chivalry instead.  But I'll get it soon anyways.

Bribery
[Image: BBWVKzB.png]
I decided to do something about those solitary warriors on YKnot's land.  I did a test bribe to make sure it would work out as I hoped.
Diplomat walked out of Bronn, then bribed the non-veteran warrior.  Both units then walked back onto the Caravel, and then back into Bronn.

[Image: BdsZFLM.png]
My Diplomat received a promotion from this, and so will fight better in "Diplomat vs. Diplomat" fights.

Lemurian Sea

Here's some context for Breton coast that I put pics up for last turn.
I've been calling this body of water the "Lemurian Sea".
Ste had been leaving his Caravels sitting around, presumably to scout the ocean.
YKnot attacked one with two of his warships.  The first one lost, but the second one succeeded (without a scratch).

[Image: jaxQvzv.png]
Square-Rig Caravels cost 55 production.
Caravels cost 40 production.
This was a Pyrrhic victory.

It did however make Ste withdraw his ships.

Getting a little behind here.  Turn 58 started 12 hours ago...
But anyways...
Turn 57

News of the World!
[Image: M5VLdPZ.png]
I'm the happiest!  
Probably because I'm over-spending on Luxuries.

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: tVJbzJS.png]
Iceland finally shows its face on this list!  It probably won't happen again, since Sanitation is near, and the growth marathon will begin.

Demographics
[Image: D0fgGM5.png]
#1 in population, #1 in Economy.  Nothing out of the ordinary here.  I expect this pattern to hold for some time.
Production is highly volatile though, due to growing cities.

Team Demographics
[Image: vTpOYgL.png]
For comparison, this is how cgalik's nation is doing.

[Image: toTb1tb.png]
Jwrober's Scotland.  Note that he can see that the Aleuts have the #1 unit count with 98 soldiers.  
That's thanks to his Embassy.

[Image: ax6yArr.png]
kamBLR's Baden.  They can see the #1 researcher for the past turn was the Pirates.  
Compared to what I can pull off, 165 bulbs is "cute".
See also that kamBLR is #3 in economy.  Our nations have the #1,2,3, and I think 4th place economies.  
This is because we are in Republic, and they are in Monarchy.

[Image: 8oFJHLx.png]
Wow, that's a tall screenshot!  This is kamBLR's more detailed intel on the Pirates.
They are researching Sanitation, and already have Philosophy and Medicine.

[Image: 4Duzqd8.png]
Jwrober's info on the Aleuts...

[Image: KjOWg4X.png]
And the Arameans

[Image: h5V4Nlr.png]
And here's his view of the national scores of all the nations he has embassies with (Team + Aleuts + Arameans)

Science
[Image: aQ2Otdg.png]
I keep creeping along.  Every bulb counts.

Events: Quite a lot happens in a turn!
[Image: JYrJe1F.png]
With Leonardo's Workshop now built, I am upgrading 3 units per turn, instead of just 1.
There was a lot of population growth, and I also built another batch of Migrants from my Size-16 cities.  These will go boost the population...somewhere.  Haven't yet decided where.

Diplomats
[Image: hAGRHou.png]
I built Diplomats in Ossenbrugge and Duorpm.  These guys will be sent to go make embassies with the Czechs and the Romans.  
That will be the last two enemies that we don't yet have intel on.

Homeland
[Image: b1Ss1uS.png]
Hamborg, Bronswiek, Kiel, Duorpm, Hameln, Estland and Wismer will all get Amphitheaters.  
This will enable them to begin celebrations next turn, since it will take care of any excess unhappiness in these cities.
Expect libraries in these cities soon.
You can see that Lubeck, Mount Vectron, and Vectron's Glory all built Migrants.  They will now work on Caravans, which I am going to accumulate to help build wonders great and small.
Riga will get an Aqueduct and can grow.

There is a Slovakian caravan near Sparking Juice.  Cgalik wishes to help me build the Great Library.  Coordinating the transport has proven challenging.

Frontline Islands
[Image: 0l7yQFK.png]
Ste has resumed his occupation of Bronn's farmland, but this time with doubled-up units to ensure they can't be bribed.  This also means that they can be killed in a group.  
But that requires some fast-attack units, which are in short supply on the island.

On Osilia, development continues with the rescued Slovakian Settler building roads UUR of Goslar.
My high-level workers finish roads in rough terrain and keep making mines.  The Iron and one Hill are already mined.  Bargen is pulling in 8 production (after corruption losses).

Irish Navy
[Image: SMZfRwY.png]
The Irish have invested in a fleet of warships which will give Scotland security, and even some transportation.
The Scottish, Irish, and Icelanders are all plotting a landing on the Aramean islands.  We'll see how this pans out.

Turn 58

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: v1sMVeC.png]
Incans on the chart.

Demographics
[Image: FZTkRGv.png]
Population keeps on rising...

Science
[Image: AAbJhuP.png]
I have decided to actually spend money on research now!  Why?
Because of the Great Library.
We had a strategic team meeting, and decided that our team's best advantage right now is Econ, and so we want to make the most of this as soon as possible, so that our opponent's numerical military advantage is countered by technological superiority.

Great Library
[Image: gaJhrwY.png]
What use is a wonder that boosts the strength of Libraries for everybody?  
Well, you see, you only get the bonus if you HAVE a library...
And I plan on building several, and so do the Irish.
We've gone max-gold for long enough that most of the critical buildings have been bought in our important cities, and so we can now afford to spend money on research again.
But why spend money on science if it's not going to be multiplied by libraries?  We build libraries now.

I am however spending science this turn.  My science spending is JUST enough to finish the research of Philosophy and Chivalry on the same turn.
It is important to clear these out of the way so that the Great Library will grant me a more valuable tech.

We think that the Great Library, with its boost to our team's science of our richest nations, will pay for itself before the other team gets their science economy up and running.
Also it will help to proclaim the Glory of Vectron to the world.

Caravans
[Image: CGQBSxr.png]
Slovakia has generously donated 3 caravans to the cause.  I sent a Caravel to go pick them up.

Homelands

Slovakian Caravans will arrive next turn.
2 Caravans have already been built and are standing by.
3 more Caravans will be built next turn, in Mount Vectron, Meideborg, and Vectron's Glory.
That will bring my total Caravan count to 8 next turn, which will be able to pay for the 400 production price-tag of the Great Library.
Lubeck, Bronswiek, and Duorpm, get libraries rushed this turn.  They have my highest Trade values, and thus have top priority.
Bremen and Hannober finally will get their courthouses, reducing their corruption and making them more valuable.  They needed to grow big enough for the savings to be worth the price.

Cities and Celebration

You may have noticed my Luxury spending is up this turn.  50% of my total GDP being spent just to make people smile...
This is enough to trigger celebrations in every city wealthier than Riga (except for Hameln, which just misses the target).
I hope that most of these celebrations can be maintained at just 30% luxuries when I lower the rate next turn, their continued happiness fueled by their own extra Trade.
The "Workers" column of the City view is of particular importance here, showing the number of Happy, Content, Unhappy, and Angry citizens in the city.
Unfortunately, there's no specific indicator here that a city is "happy" and will celebrate next turn, just whether it is celebrating at the moment.
But I can just do a quick scan of that column and see which cities have more "Happy" than "Content" and thus know that they will celebrate next turn.

...I also just noticed the Bronswiek is NOT scheduled to celebrate!!!
I fixed this by re-arranging some tiles so that every tile the city is working produces Trade.  That gave it just enough to push it over the edge now.  It will celebrate.
This attempt to ignite even more celebrations is costing me about 160 gold.  Not all that much if you think about it, and should pay off pretty quick.

Sardinian Caravel
[Image: ehgf8w0.png]
I send my Caravel out of Nightcap to go pick up more Badian units to help reinforce the city.
I had been debating whether to continue my taxi duties, or send the Caravel off on a suicidal mission of discovery to see as many enemy islands as possible before being sunk.
I opted to act as a taxi.
kamBLR said he didn't have any units to transport.
Yay teamwork!

The exclamation points show where I spotted a Pirate Square-Rig Caravel.

Czech Land Theft
[Image: a4QsC5U.png]
Ste is now trying to claim territory more permanently.
He has workers building forts at locations A, B, and C.
When you build a fort, the territory on that tile becomes yours.  This is why there's a "border ring" around the pikemen across the river from Bronn.
I still only have 62% odds and a single elephant to attack with.  Not quite enough to want to risk death.
I won't be able to stop the construction this turn, but fortunately fort-building has been split into a two-step process to prevent "insta-forts" from being built right at TC.
The "Pre-Fort" has to be upgraded on a subsequent turn to become a real fort and actually provide the defensive and territorial advantages.

There should be an opportunity to mount an attack next turn.  I'm going to have Chivalry, and there's a Horseman on Lemuria that I could upgrade to a Knight and ship over to perform an attack with.
This will require another joint operation with YKnot though, since I'll need his Trireme to sail up the river and allow me to retreat back to safety.

Your team should came more base trade to be multipled as well.

(January 24th, 2021, 07:19)civac2 Wrote: Your team should came more base trade to be multipled as well.

Yeah, that's the thinking. But some of that is just a temporary advantage due to them not being republics. So it's really just a window of opportunity where we get to benefit from Libraries, but they do not.

Turn 59

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: SAkh2yQ.png]
Baden shows its face!

Demographics
[Image: m8X8FAV.png]
That's some pretty high econ, there!
Celebration can give quite the boost.  
That said, I'm still burning 30% of it on Luxuries, but enough cities are celebrating now that it's definitely profitable.

Science
No screenshot, but I finished researching Philosophy and Chivalry.  
Continuing on to Medicine.

Knight Raids
[Image: 7epy1qf.png]
YKnot and I decided to mount some Joint Operations to deal with the interlopers on the doorstep of Bronn.
We each loaded a Knight into his Trireme, and the plan was to hop out onto the grassland UL of the boat, attack the units adjacent, and then use the remaining MP to return to the boat.
My knight went first, but due to Zone-of-Control issues, couldn't actually walk out onto that grass tile because it was already adjacent to the Pike-Fort.
I got around this by sending out a Diplomat onto the tile.  Diplomats ignore ZOC, and so you can use them to weave an attack force through enemy forces.  It's a bit of an exploit, and one we've discussed patching.  But it's here, so I'm gonna use it.

My knight was victorious, and won the battle against the Pikemen 1U of it without even taking a scratch!

Got greedy
[Image: pX71qVz.png]
The second group of units was even weaker (the Warrior was backed up by a Phalanx, not a Pike), so I thought "Why not finish them off too?"
My Knight won the battle easily, but...it had no MP left!    banghead
Why do I do this?  I'd already discussed the plan with YKnot: I attack the group on the pre-fort, he attacks the group on the Wheat.
The entire POINT of that plan was to ensure our knights would be able to retreat to the boat and escape back home.
And what did I do?  I went and attacked anyways.
I forgot that with 1 MP already spent on an attack, the chance of losing it all from extra damage was extremely high.  In fact, I was lucky to have been able to still move after the attack against the Pikemen.
My Knight would now be stuck in the open, vulnerable to enemy attack.

My Diplomat then proceeded to Kolin, and made an Embassy.

Czech Intel
[Image: DINWyGZ.png]
The Czechs have a decently high score, but not as high as mine.  But what does score really mean?
No seriously, I need to look that up.  It's based on known factors.
He's in Monarchy, and is researching Banking.
My guess is he's going straight for Democracy, as is his whole team.  Not bothering with an intermediate stop in Republic.

To get better intel, I'd need to get an intel report immediately before and after TC to see how much total science and gold he's making.
That feels like a bit of work, but I'll see what I can do.

Combat Events
[Image: 3rWlMnw.png]
(Note: i've re-ordered the events in my UI so that the most recent ones appear at the top.  This is because the Events list is often scrolled to the top by default, making it annoying to see what things have just happened)
I paid 57 gold to upgrade a Horseman to a Knight so that I could ship it over to Bronn and do the raiding that I explained above.
Then there's the ZOC warning.
Then my Knight goes on its rampage.
Then I make my Embassy
And then later, a Roman(!) knight on the island exacts its revenge.  Hmm...wasn't expecting a multinational force, but should I be surprised?

Naval Strike
[Image: 5TNnWUk.png]
Yknot was worried that his Caravel might be attacked by a Czech Square-Rig that he'd seen earlier.  
I advised him against attacking the enemy square-rig, since it would likely result in the death of both units, since his would be crippled in enemy waters.
YKnot was uneasy, but deferred.
Later, the Square-Rig attacked just as he'd feared, but fortunately his Caravel won.
Square-Rigs SUUUCK in this version of the ruleset.

[Image: 52tFUYD.png]
Yknot had been planning on using that Caravel to ship-hop some reinforcement knights to Bronn, but that plan will have to wait.
At least an enemy warship was sunk!

Second Strike
[Image: Ydg8Dks.png]
Later in the turn, Ste responded by sending some Knights forward to guard the worker building a fort 2L of Boleslav.
We did the same plan as last time, only with YKnot's Knight doing the attacking, and my Elephant for backup.

YKnot's knight was victorious, but took too much damage and could not retreat.

Elephant Charge!
[Image: BZqDEus.png]
I decided that killing a v2 Horse and a v2 Worker was worth my Elephant, so I sent it on a suicide mission.
It would win of course, with 94% odds, but would have no chance of retreat.
Depicted here is the tail end of the battle, with 1HP on my Elephant and 2HP on the Horse.
My elephant lost.

Pike Charge
[Image: 7OvabL5.png]
Deciding that "if sacrificing an elephant for the kill was worth it, surely a Pike is worth it too", I sent a pikeman out to finish the job.
Pikes aren't great attackers, but there are situations when 2-Attack is exactly what you need.  And they have 3MP, unlike the ancient-era footsoldiers that have only 2MP.
The pike won.  Yay.

Sacrifice of Heroes
[Image: DLrxRBS.png]
Rather than let our units become "Training Fodder" for the enemy, YKnot and I agreed to a suicide pact and disbanded our stranded soldiers.
The losses were higher than we would have liked, but overall it was an attritional victory.  
If we can keep trading like this, the war can be turned into a bloody stalemate.

Great Library
[Image: yQhlGgy.png]
I delivered my Caravans to the Great Library project, and Cgalik...was unable to deliver his.
We were very perturbed by this, since we were 90% certain that allies could in fact deliver production caravans to each other.
Normally a dialog comes up when you enter a city, but his caravans had already entered the city before I had begun on the GL, and didn't have enough MP to leave and then re-enter.
So...no Great Library this turn!

(Later we determined that allied caravans DO in fact work, and the message triggers properly when you walk into a city.  There also exists a command in the UI under the Combat Menu of all places to "Do..." an action, which would have allowed the caravans to complete their delivery on T59)

Homeland
[Image: lVcrWwd.png]
Many cities are celebrating now.
Vectron's Glory, Mount Vectron, and Lubeck already were.
Added to that list now are Hamborg, Spice Harbor, Wismer, Estland, Duorpm, Kiel, and Bronswiek.
Kiel's celebration could not be maintained at 30% Luxury though, and it will go back to normal next turn.
Bronswiek was just 1 Luxury short, and I was able to maintain its celebration through the use of an Entertainer.  This will lower its growth, but then it's already at 16, so no huge problem.

In order to celebrate at 30%, a city needs to either be very close to the Capital to minimize corruption losses, or must have access to some bonus-Trade tiles like the Wines of Duorpm and Wismer, Spice Harbor's Spice, the Oasis by Estland, or the many river tiles by Lubeck and Hamborg.

A city moderately further from the capital, but which can only get a natural 2 Trade/tile just can't quite cut it at 30% luxuries.
Once I get banking though, the luxury multiplier of a city will grow from 1.5x to 1.8x, which will tip the balance and allow for almost nation-wide celebration.
Hopefully.

Whew, this was a bit of a late post.  Got pretty behind on work today.  

Stay tuned for the excitement of Turn 60, coming up soon!

Turn 60: The Czechs Strike Back

Wonders:
[Image: yAFd2rc.png]
I'm building the Great Library, and kevin551, being first to Sanitation, is building Shakespeare's Theater.
Shakespeare's Theater gives a world-wide boost to the power of Entertainers.  They will provide 3 Luxuries instead of just 2, making them actually useful.
His personal benefit will be +1 Luxury for free in every city, and an extra +6 in the city that built it.  A small bonus, but not too terrible since the wonder only cost 300.  Will make it just a little bit easier for him to celebrate his cities.

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: MHVaN1g.png]
Wow!  4/5 Top city slots!  
How do I do it?  I hope I can keep this up when Sanitation comes.  
My hope is that I can continue being the richest nation in the world and gain a powerful tech lead.
If I can do that, then we should be ok.  Hopefully.  
Just got to make sure nothing goes horribly wrong in the mean time.

And now, for the day's news.
DOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!
[Image: Tfurm1P.png]
(Note: Most recent events are at the TOP of the list)
Well, that's not good! eek
So...maybe all that knight-raiding business last turn was completely foolish.
We lost 4 potential defenders, each which maybe could have killed an enemy knights.  Then again some of those units DID kill an enemy knight, so it's not like it was a complete waste.
But still.
I'm not shocked that the city fell.  It was the perfect time to attack.
I'm not even that sad about losing my defenders, since they did their job.

What I am upset about is losing my Diplomats and Caravel!!!  duh
Note to future self: make sure your base of operations is secure!

I'm also upset that I killed only 3 Knights.  According to YKnot's combat logs, he didn't kill any Knights; his Pike and a Warrior(?) both died.

This was a bit of a military disaster.  Not only did Ste take the city, but he actually lost LESS units in the assault than the defenders did!!!! shakehead
Once again, the price of Arrogance shows itself.  I should have taken the defense of Bronn more seriously, since I knew Ste was massing troops.

Czech Front
[Image: ElA1Hum.png]
So here's the status of the front-lines against the Czechs.  The Island of Bronn has fallen, and Ste has a solid defensive barriers of islands protecting his mainland from direct threats.
Without a foothold on Bronn, it will be VERY difficult to recapture, since the enemy always gets the first strike when you land.

Oh well, It's not like a war-game can't have military victories for the enemy.

Czech your Intel
[Image: BAzCpRO.png]
Here's an Intel report for the Czechs on turn 60, along with other national scores for comparison.
I was right about Ste going for Democracy.  I'll have to see how much money he's making at the end of turn.

Demographics
[Image: UZhZZOq.png]
This is the first Demographics Report that can feature Ste in the positions where he is #1.
Wow.  eek
This is terrifying.
He has 50% more Cities, Land, and Production than I do.  He's a whole "half a nation" better than me in total potential.
My growth has been faster, so I can outmatch him in Population and Econ for now, but this can't last forever.
I've been able to build plenty of city infrastructure with my Gold though, so my cities will be better than his for a long time.
I hope that if I stay ahead of him on Technology, that I'll be able to gain access to further production boosts before him and keep up my momentum.

But it's really not looking good.

Science
[Image: jJqmaLF.png]
I'm about to get the Great Library next turn, which will grant me a free technology.  
It's going to be the cheapest one available, so I'm hoping to do a big push to clear out Monotheism so that it will give me something like Banking instead.

[Image: NZP37lg.png]
My Caravans all delivered last turn, but the Slovakians haven't yet done so in this picture.
Later this turn, Cgalik successfully delivers the caravan shipment in full, and I'm be on-track to build the Great Library.

Bit of Scouting
[Image: WYpTe32.png]
I decided to take a peek at a neighboring island with my Caravel.  Wasn't time to embark on a "Voyage of Discovery" this turn.  Maybe next turn?

End of Turn Intel
[Image: A1fHQG2.png]
I quickly took a look at Ste's intel for the end of this turn.  This is about 5 minutes before TC.
He spent some gold since the last time I looked.  It's important to see this to be able to estimate his income.

Start of Turn Intel
[Image: IvD6rd2.png]
He gained +144Icon_Gold  and +136Icon_Science 
If he has a Size 16 city with the Observatory, and a Library in it (which he SHOULD), then that's a base science income of 25.
That means 111 science is coming from 30% funding.  This implies an economy of about 370 Trade.
60% of that gives him an estimated tax income of 222, which given his surplus of +144, it means he's bearing an upkeep cost of about -78gpt.  Probably from a frighteningly large military.

These numbers are only estimates, since I don't know how many Libraries or Markets he actually has built.  But they're not going to be too far off the mark.

It's amazing how much information you can glean from just a few numbers.
That's all for now!