Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Freeciv LongTurn (LT57 report)

(March 9th, 2021, 09:26)ste Wrote: So, I went for operation Lure Them Out - and (as you know) it worked. Best victory of the game for me... it all went mostly downhill from here.

Waiiiit, are you saying that a player capable of launching large coordinated naval invasions wasn't actually making rookie noob mistakes?  eek

As the Team Captain for the Hell Cats which included Ste and fought against Hans I applaud the great write-up of the game here.
I am really glad Ste was on my team. His comments were too modest.
From a team perspective his greatest moves came after the taking of Bronn, talked about here.
He continued to rapidly expand and did some great logistic moves to put a large army onto Hans' island.
The success was not the taking of the island but the fact that it forced the main economist on the enemy team to switch strategy to military units and away from development.

But to start at the beginning. Expansion plans and strategy were discussed before city planning.

"Ste has by far the most interesting start. This requires early boats to colonise all of these islands. A small pox strategy. You will be on the edge of our empire so you'll need a military."
Ste performed the role of military expansionist perfectly. It worked so well because he faced a team of farmers all focused on economic expansion.

A nickname was given to each of the captains during the game. 'Paranoid Farmer' and 'Eternal Noob'.
These two names seem better than the original team names chosen.
The  'Eternal Noobs' were punished repeatedly in the early game for leaving so many cities empty.
The  'Paranoid Farmers' were 'punished' by having so many units unused at the back. The game ended early before these units were upgraded and moved forward.