Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Freeciv LongTurn (LT57 report)

I recognize a lot of the mechics from Smac (and thus Civ2 I suppose) but here they are implemented in a more balanced way.

Warmaking seems to be very stressful with so much movement on all the units. Can you even defend effectively against so much speed?

(January 5th, 2021, 05:01)civac2 Wrote: I recognize a lot of the mechics from Smac (and thus Civ2 I suppose) but here they are implemented in a more balanced way.

Warmaking seems to be very stressful with so much movement on all the units. Can you even defend effectively against so much speed?
Yeah, it's a lot of Civ2 mechanics.  SMAC was the last game many of them showed up in.

War is a bit stressful, but there are some things that make defense possible:
-Can't use roads in enemy territory
-"Rough terrain" like forests has a high movement cost, 4MP, and you can plant forests in strategic locations to make assaults hard.
-Units landing from a ship lose all their movements, so there are no surprise naval attacks until Marines (unless rivers are involved...)
-City distances are larger than normal.  3 tiles minimum spacing.
-Defensive bonuses multiply.  Assaulting a well-defended city often requires accepting 2:1 or 3:1 attritional losses.

However, any time that you CAN achieve surprise against an unprepared opponent, you can do some major damage.

There are a couple ways to capture a city:
-Cavalry Charge:  Use the fastest units you have, and pile in with a big army in a swift assault before they can reinforce. High risk, high reward, potentially high casualties.
-Siege:  Capture defensive terrain (mountains usually) near a city, build a fortress there to protect against stack-kill, and then pile in an ass-load of artillery into the fortress in order to conduct an assault the next turn. Lose the element of surprise, but it's the only way to take down an entrenched foe.
-River Assault: Sail triremes full of units into the mouth of a river (or even far up-river), and they can attack directly from the boats since the soldiers are technically "on land". Similar in effect to a Cavalry Charge, but with a longer range, and against less expected targets. Also works across land-masses if there is a shallow water connection. If there isn't...
-Amphibious Assault: Marines can attack directly from boats. However, they don't have amazingly high attack, so the assault will be just as bloody as a cavalry charge. 3 Marines per defender. However, it's the first time that "Instantaneous Long-Range Attacks" are possible, and so every coastal city quakes in fear. 3:1 odds won't save a city if you have 4 cities to defend.
-Bribe with Diplomat.  Costs a LOT of gold, and doesn't always work. Devastating when it does, but some governments are immune. Curiously, it's the governments that seem to always get chosen. Hmm... contemplate

Turn 39

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: DCzHWbV.png]
Nearing the finish line...

Demographics:
[Image: caMppUy.png]
My econ went down.  Was 132 last turn.  I did build a bunch of settlers, so the lost population rank isn't a surprise.

Science:
[Image: eUDbDcB.png]
Literacy leads to Republic and Philosophy.  Philosophy gives a free tech, but the rules make it not OP by making it the cheapest tech available.
I think there's currently a game of "Chicken" afoot, where people try to delay getting it as long as possible in order to maximize the payoff.
I think I'll spend 2 turns cleaning up lower techs before I grab it.  ETA T44.  I wonder if the other team will grab it first?

Colonization:
[Image: iQ1lRDQ.png]
Two settlers hop into a waiting Caravel, heading to the colonies.  These settlers are destined for Lemuria, since Osilia has all it needs, and I think we're fresh out of empty islands.

Islands:
Osilia [44]
[Image: bOWF2Yn.png]
Two cities founded, 2 to go.  Two more settlers on the island.  I think there will be little of worth these cities can build without courthouses reducing corruption.
Move to swamp on t40, build roads on t40.  Found city t41, walk in on road and drain swamp.  That's the plan.

Lemuria [2]
[Image: 2MwLom3.png]
Looking a bit empty, but the ship full of back-filling settlers has finally arrived!
Rostock gives a worker too to help "with the general effort".

Hansa [1]
[Image: 9TmliYd.png]
Hannober gets a Temple next turn, but for now is paying 6 Food to maintain stability with entertainers.  I really didn't build enough Warriors.
Vectron's Glory and Meideborg will build some more Warriors.  Better to "waste" 5 production on a warrior you'll disband later (build for 10, disband for 5, thus 5 lost) than to keep losing resources to Entertainers.
Wismer and Estland and Kiel all desperately need Temples too, but I only have so much gold.  I'd have more gold if I dropped my science budget, but I don't feel like doing that yet.  Still some stuff I want.
Mount Vectron puts its production surplus into a Caravan.  I hope to maybe build a Great Wonder, or if not, it can help with the many Small Wonders the ruleset has available.
Bronswiek and Lubeck can build an Amphitheaters.  Another happiness building, this time courtesy of Construction.  50P for 3 Content, 2 gold upkeep.  3 Warriors is cheaper, but warriors won't help me when I head into Republic.
But no Republic until I've got temples everywhere.  The Luxuries bill would be too high otherwise.

Exploration:
[Image: TTGnl3Q.png]
Breton Longboat spots islands [32] and [27].
We suspect [27] of being Ste's home island, since Usti isn't defended.
island [32] introduces us to the Romans, lead by ChillChill is pretty chill, doesn't have a fearsome reputation.  I conquered two islands from him with minimal resistance in LT51.

[Image: pWtdvu0.png]
Nearer to the other pole, the Romans show their faces again, holding the cold and swampy island [43].
I'm gonna call it "Aquilla".
I had some fantasies of landing a settler on the southern peninsula, rush-buying a Trireme, shipping in some soldiers via Caravel, and then doing a River-Assault on Aquileia.
The only ingredients I lack for that are the spare Caravel, a spare Settler, and some spare Soldiers.  But maybe I could pull it off before T50.
If Chill doesn't finish colonizing his island first that is.

War:
[Image: iTy90S4.png]
kamBLR founds his city on "Sardinia" [29], and kevin551 moves a Phalanx over to oppose it.  Or something.  
Let's hope the forests can keep Nightcap safe.

Turn 40

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: fCkcwRl.png]
Vectron's Glory, now in its rightful place!
The order is of course arbitrary, but it's nice to remind the world.

Demographics:
[Image: JO5WNOx.png]
I'm only #1 in Science now, and even then I suspect I might be overpaying in order to be first to techs.
I'm going to need to up my growth game if I'm going to compete with those who have more land territory than me.

Science:
[Image: SLcaDAy.png]
Going for Republic now.  Based on the tech cost of Philosophy, it has already been researched.
Republic will massively increase my budget, but complicate happiness management and military deployments.

Islands:
Osilia [44]
[Image: cixmPoJ.png]
One settler moves into position to found city, another builds a helpful road, and the super-worker gets to move and complete a road in a single turn.  God I love that guy.

Lemuria [2]
[Image: T2zXxqi.png]
Two settlers dropped off now.  I'm finally going to fill in my island!
One city goes directly below the hill, and the other one?  Probably the grassland next to the Fish.

Hansa [1]
[Image: zg4YKZy.png]
After the picture was taken, I opted to build a Caravan in Vectron's Glory rather than the Swordsmen.
Aiming for Republic soon, my main goal is to make sure my cities won't be too expensive to maintain in happiness.  
Lubeck gets an amphitheater since it's so large.  The good news is that most of the cities that still need temples are still small, but some of them have pretty high production.  
I should be able to get my Temples built in time without too much trouble.

Exploration:
[Image: Avwz2OO.png]
Spotted a Roman settler before I sailed off.  Looks like I won't be starting a colonial war by planting my own city on the island.  
Maybe I could still invade it, but it's a long way from home.

[Image: 2sqjtxf.png]
Sailing around the island, I found Aramean territory.  Chill seems to be sharing this island with panch93.
I wonder why?  Sharing island often leads to inefficient land use.

[Image: ihvUBwD.png]
YKnot sails on and finds that Ste has even MORE islands!  Just a small water gap between [33] on the left and [35] on the right.
Wow.  This is worrisome.
Ste looks to have a solid buffer of islands between our team and the Czech homeland.

War:
[Image: WKc26lJ.png]
In our hottest front, Bamskamp deploys a horse to guard the mountain by his city, while Cgalik's armies loom.

[Image: BgZHGpe.png]
Bamskamp seems to have forgotten that single units can be bribed by Diplomats.  This far from home the cost is cheap.
Cgalik now has a Horse to help him guard the mountain next to the Incan city.

Extra Info:
We had fun with a minor UI bug that allows you to add invalid items to the city work-list.
[Image: p8Ub5N0.png]
Fortunately, though you can add them, they can't actually be built.
I don't think the world is ready for nuclear weapons just yet.

Turn 41

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: tu18doW.png]
Plenty of room at the top.

Demographics:
[Image: MH3WfK3.png]
City count increasing due to my settlers finally reaching their positions.  Land area should increase slightly too.

Science:
[Image: RZtrhKI.png]
What's with this low tech rate?  Just 25 bulbs!
In anticipation of getting republic, I have gone into Anarchy, so as to form a more perfect union.
Anarchy means all your trade gets converted to Luxuries, so no science budget.  However, it doesn't stop research if you can get it from other sources, like the Observatory.

Plans:
[Image: pXZgHDb.png]
I've decided that if I'm going to build any more ships, that they ought to be Veterans, so I spent two caravans to complete the Lighthouse for my civilization.
Lighthouse of Lübeck.

Islands:
Osilia [44]
[Image: hVFZtyQ.png]
Goslar founded, and the settler speeds off to the final location.
A caravel carrying a horseman has arrived in Bargen.  It will sail off to cause mischief soon.
Goslar's swamp will be cleared next turn.

Lemuria [2]
[Image: hDsM0t4.png]
Stettin founded at the other end of the river.  I'll have plenty of workers done soon.  Perhaps too many?  
I've nearly completed work on my main island, so I'll be shipping over spare workers soon.

Hansa [1]
[Image: 5hxZ3ZO.png]
Vectron's Glory prepares to build a Migrant so as not to let its food surplus go to waste.  It should instantly regrow the population.  The migrant can be spent to boost the population of some other city, or do a little infrastructure work.
The "rainbow vomit" just above VG is pollution, and one of the more controversial graphics in my tileset.  I'd been annoyed by the default graphic being hard to spot, so...now it's not!  And you really want to clean it up.
Lubeck builds the Lighthouse.  Riga will switch from Caravan to a Ship once the lighthouse is done, so that it can be a veteran.
Production of temples continues.  Many should be done by the time I can switch to Republic.  No happiness problems under Anarchy though, since nobody pays any taxes!

City Spotlight:
[Image: fn4Axws.png]
Anarchy, Science, and Pollution.  3 things this city handles well!
I'm making 25 science per turn (17 from city, +50% from library)
Pollution risk comes from any production over the threshold of 20.  Vectron's Glory certainly has that.
Under Anarchy, all trade is converted into luxuries, so VG has a LOT of happy people.
Also, unit upkeep is paid as Production (symbolized by the "shield" icon, because Civ2)
This will also be the case for Republic, so get used to it.  I'll have to disband a lot of surplus warriors soon, since they'll soon cost more than they are worth.

Exploration:
[Image: B7hCr9j.png]
My longboat discovered Island [40], also held by the Arameans.  My Longboat is also nearly out of supplies, and must head back home or be lost at sea.
Fortunately, I've built some fresh port cities on Osilia, so it won't need to go far.

The Breton longboat is no longer exploring.  Ste has Magnetism too, and sunk it with a Square-Rigged Caravel.

War:
[Image: zhDPDib.png]
My square-rigged caravel sails past Iceland's colony while it ventures into uncharted enemy waters to cause maximum mischief.  
It's carrying a warrior so that it can capture unguarded workers on any islands it might find.

[Image: hnw0yDp.png]
My caravel sails towards FedEx, with a special delivery from the homeland.  Cgalik and I will discuss what to do with it next.  Continue as a ferry, or go raiding?

Extra Info:
Anarchy lasts for 2 turns.  Entering it on T41, I will also be in Anarchy on T42.  On T43 I will be able to choose my new government.

Turn 42

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: NNFDSw3.png]
Pretty much the same as last time.

Demographics:
[Image: ssTfnB2.png]
Anarchy is great for the economy, but not so hot on manufacturing.  If only I could actually tax all that Trade...
But that requires "actually having a government".  I'm working on it...

Science:
Forgot to take a screenshot, but I'm working on the Wheel now.  It's cheap, and can be mostly finished with overflow and the base 25 science output from the Observatory.

Islands:
Osilia [44] (and Bronn [38])
[Image: BPCptBD.png]
I decided I'd show my neighboring island in this shot for comparison.  YKnot has only managed to add one city to the island in this time.
This is why I insisted on Settling island [44], because I didn't think the Bretons could actually afford the expense or provide the transportation.
He's a new player, and so is still learning the art of colonization.  Unfortunately, he's on the front lines against one of our enemy's strongest players.
I will likely need to be a co-defender of Bronn Island.

In Narva, a Caravel refuels, carrying a Horseman.  Next turn I will see what trouble I can cause for the Romans on Island[44] to the northeast.

Lemuria [2]
[Image: APSzoZH.png]
Caravel sails to Lemuria with a fresh shipment of Workers and Settlers.  I actually overbuild settlers, so I'll have to decide what to do with them.
But for now they can just act as expensive workers, helping to build roads.

Hansa [1]
[Image: yDDlOt3.png]
Hansa has now been completely stripped of Jungle, and the deforestation will only continue.  I must have as much food as possible to grow my population!
You can buy production with Gold, but you can't buy food.
I went and disbanded a bunch of non-veteran warriors to cut down on upkeep costs and add a little production to the cities.  It will be a challenge to keep them all growing optimally.
Hopefully when I establish a Republic next turn, I'll be able to afford to rush-buy a bunch more stuff.
Bronswiek will by my 4th city over the Aqueduct Limit, and the first to do so without being on a river.
Hamborg will hopefully follow, but I'm not sure if my gold reserves can buy its Aqueduct in time not to delay it by a turn.
Duorpm is on schedule to grow fast, and already has its Granary and Temple built.  I have a Migrant working nearby which will boost it to Size 8 next turn.
Estland on the other hand only just got a Temple.
I've mined the deserts in the northeast partly to provide extra production, but also partly because my workers are running out of useful tasks.
Vectron's Glory has opted to forgo food accumulation and instead go for Max Production, working forest, desert and hill.

War:
[Image: 1Z8p9XM.png]
On Sardinia, the kevin551's pirates make a defensive move to guard the river, but also provide a threat of maneuverable action.
Nightcap is growing fast, thanks to the fish, no doubt.

[Image: kZ4OvH7.png]
Cgalik's capture of the mountain next to "Gone to Croatan" proved short-lived.

[Image: s0ZMJdD.png]
Castaway [15] once again becomes a bit of a stalemate.  Maybe the reinforcements on my Caravel will help?

Exploration:
My northern exploration hit a snag when my Longboat got sunk.  It was just 2 weeks away from retirement!  shakehead
[Image: HQBUw2Z.png]
And it was fine the last time I checked, and I'd been planning on moving it after I finished the Turn 41 report, but that's what happens in a simultaneous game.
This is the kind of sacrifice I make to bring you guys the story!

[Image: UAhEJ79.png]
The Scottish locate Island [41], also inhabited by the Arameans, controlled by panch93.
I will call this island "Bethesda", though there's a chance it's actually the Aramean home-island.
jwrober is just surrounded by enemies!

[Image: G3gq0LC.png]
My Square-Rigged Caravel, sailing south from Icelandic waters ran across a thoroughly unexpected sight:  An unsettled island!!!
Not a single sign of the enemy.  I suppose this is what happens when you're constrained to just one longboat, and already have your eyes set on other islands.
But since I was the first to Magnetism, I have had the luxury of exploration without sacrificing colonization.

[Image: hfCQI9Q.png]
Land needs to be settled ASAP, and wouldn't you know it, I have settler on a boat right nearby!
The FedEx delivery is getting re-routed.  Maybe permanently.

[Image: iiS8iqp.png]
Looks nice, we'll take it.  After a lot of discussion about settling plans, Cgalik opted to settle on the River first, to claim as much of the island as possible.  
It will reduce the city-count of the island, but cities this far from home are military-bases anyways, rather than money-makers.  We're in a war here.

World Map: T42

Nice big labelled world-map so you can understand "what the heck is going on in this world?"
[Image: ZQOzEzM.png]
  1. My home island
  2. My second island
  3. Frozen land inhabited by unlucky Slovakian settler.
  4. jwrober lives here, enemies to the north and south
  5. louis94 controls this as the regent for ilkkachu
  6. cgalik's homeland
  7. offshore island shared by me and the Irish.
  8. jwrober's colony
  9. Zoe's adjoining island.  Looks merged in pic, but there's a tile of coast separating them.
  10. xandr's homeland
  11. xandr's colony
  12. Zoe's homeland
  13. Zoe's colony
  14. gamath's homeland
  15. warzone between cgalik (slovakia) and bamskamp (inca)
  16. newly discovered virgin land!
  17. undiscovered
  18. undiscovered
  19. More frozen wastelands. Nothing to see here.
  20. If the city on [15] is "gone to croatan", then maybe this is that?  But Croatia is a cooler name.
  21. undiscovered
  22. undiscovered
  23. undiscovered
  24. undiscovered
  25. undiscovered
  26. undiscovered
  27. Must be Ste's home island.  If an island this far south has the number [27], it must extend rather far north.  Only home islands are that big.
  28. undiscovered
  29. swampy den of pirates, only sighting of kevin551 so far.
  30. one of Ste's outlying islands
  31. undiscovered
  32. Why does chill have a shallows-connected island so close to Ste's homeland?  I've named it after a fish that hitches a ride on a bigger fish.
  33. Ste has far too many of these islands, and they form a defensive barrier that I dislike
  34. undiscovered
  35. First place Ste was sighted. One tile-gap between it and [33].
  36. kamBLR's first colony.
  37. kamBLR's home island
  38. YKnot's colony
  39. YKnot's homeland
  40. Saw an Aramean city named "Tunip", thought this was a funnier name.
  41. panch93 has been here how long, and nobody knew???
  42. kamBLR's second colony
  43. Chill's chilly colony.  Shared with panch.
  44. My most distant isle.  I'll need to fortify this.
  45. I'm not sure there *is* an Island [45].  If it exists, it's gotta be tiny, and is either southwest of [41] next to the Arctic, or in the pocket of darkness northwest of Ireland.

Extra Information:
For those who care, these are the bands of lattitude where the undiscovered islands are predicted to reside.
[Image: hUE6uGr.png]
islands are numbered north to south based on their northernmost point as scanned from north to south.
The bands represent the places that the island's northern point will be, but say nothing about how far south they will extend.

Turn 43

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: HkJ0iEd.png]
Pirates just built a Great Wonder.

Wonders:
[Image: 00SIydR.png]
Marco Polo's Embassy.  In this version of the game, it gives a Global Bonus of +30% Trade to all players.  
Seems pretty pointless?
It gives you access to a later Great Wonder that grants your empire a +10% Trade bonus.  Not huge, but in a highly competitive game you don't want the personal bonuses to be too big.
But then again, I'm not too worried about our team not building it due to its expense in the early-game and delayed payoff.

Demographics:
[Image: 0AEaDDN.png]
Population ranking is a pretty crowded field, so I'm not too worried about not being #1.  And if my friendly neighbor is #1, then so much the better!
It's still showing Anarchy, and the yields my civilization would get under Anarchy, but I switched over to Republic immediately, and didn't regret it for an instant.

Events and Info:
[Image: UtqD7eY.png]
I chose Republic!!!

[Image: Ju9xbhv.png]
I can keep order in my cities with just 30% luxury spending, and my Gold Surplus alone is nearly as big as my total Economy pre-revolution.
Part of this is +1 Trade/Tile from Republic, part of it is also the +30% trade bonus that Marco Polo gave me.  
The timing was perfect, since Trade is the big benefit of Republic.  Any worries I may have had about the production trade-offs have completely vanished.

Science:
[Image: CInPBwY.png]
At 30% science funding, I can beat my old science rate.
[Image: ERzoyCl.png]
But 20% will be good enough to get Wheel and Polytheism this turn.  
Polytheism will let me build the Statue of Zeus, which increases the military support per city, and reduces unhappiness from troops being deployed.
There's no military unhappiness under Despotism, and I hadn't realized that it reduced upkeep costs, so I'd been planning on "getting it later".
But knowing that, and now also being under a Republic, I want the Statue of Zeus yesterday.

City Spotlight:
[Image: ajSzgP5.png]
Who would have thought it possible for Vectron's Glory to get any more glorious?
Celebration occurs whenever a city has at least 50% of it's population Happy, and nobody Unhappy.
The Celebration bonus varies by government.
Under Republic, celebration grants an extra +1 Trade per tile.
Republic itself grants +1 Trade per Land tile.
Colossus grants +1 Trade per tile.
So any tile that produces any trade at all, gets a +3 Bonus.

Celebrating cities can create a feedback loop.  It takes a lot of luxuries to celebrate, but celebration gives bonus Trade, and Trade create more Luxuries.
Often times you can "Ignite" celebration, and maintain it using a lower Luxury% than was required to start it in the first place, since the extra trade can pay for the luxuries to maintain itself.

I don't expect to do this empire-wide for a while, but certainly some of my wealthier cities can attempt it.  Marketplaces are essential, since they give a +50% bonus to Luxuries in addition to their +50% gold bonus.

With all of the population-boosting wonders in this city, Vectron's Glory by itself has the GDP of a whole island.

Exploration:
[Image: dLkTo7K.png]
I scouted out the Chilly Roman island to see if there were any stray workers sitting unguarded by the coast.  No such luck.
The worker must be inside the city clearing the Swamp.  
I'll have to either be patient and wait for it to come out, or use my slowly vanishing window of opportunity to scout out enemy islands before they can build a deep-water Navy.

Turn 44

Top 5 Cities:
[Image: tKRvp4c.png]
Plague in Vectron's Glory. frown
Fortunately I can regrow it in a turn.

Demographics:
[Image: tKeHT04.png]
Now witness the Economic Power of my fully operational Republic!!!
292 Trade/Turn is a ridiculously large amount.
95 Production is less impressive.
However, I'm going to be spending a lot of gold buying buildings, and it only takes 2 Gold to buy 1 production for a building.
And gold production gets a 50% bonus from marketplaces.
The only catch will be if I need to build a military, which will be a bit more expensive.  
Rush-buy costs for units use the Civ2 formula of steadily increasing cost the more you want to buy, so the cost goes up quadratically.
Rush-buying units at 3 Gold/unit is a "good deal".
But also note that I'm 5th place in Science production with just 20% funding.

Science:
[Image: XOkV2BX.png]
I reduced science funding even further after this screenshot because I wanted more gold.

Islands:
Osilia [44]
[Image: f1LlwXZ.png]
Courthouses will be essential on this island, and I may even be able to afford them soon!
However, their benefit is proportional to the size of the city, and few of these cities are very large.
Bargen isn't growing because it's letting Revel use its Grassland for a bit.  Growth should resume soon.

Lemuria [2]
[Image: G2srJzf.png]
Lots of workers on the island now!  I hope to get this place farmed-up as soon as possible.
Danzig is big enough that buying it a courthouse could be a worthwhile investment.

Hansa [1]
[Image: lUMy0b0.png]
I went on a bit of a spending spree, buying buildings all over my nation.  Everywhere you see a completion time with a 1 next to it, that's where I paid money.
I intend to do the same thing next turn too!
Most of my purchases are either for essential "Growth Infrastructure" like Aqueducts or Granaries (remember, you can't buy food), or things like Temples (Entertainers eat without producing).
I hope to be able to buy Markets and Courthouses soon.  Most of these buildings should pay for themselves within 15 turns.  If I buy a Market for 100g, and that boosts the city's income by +8g, then that's a 12 turn payback.
Courthouses are a bit trickier, since they'll give back Trade, and Production (and sometimes some Food), each of which has a slightly different relative value.  
For now, I'm using my rule of thumb that Trade = 1 Gold, Production = 2 Gold, and Food = 3 Gold.  Markets however increase the value of Trade, but only the proportion that goes into Gold (or should I count luxuries too?).
These calculations are not an exact science, but one thing will remain true: More is Better.

Exploration:
[Image: qUde7Fz.png]
I decided to sail my Caravel north to scout out as many enemy islands as possible before they all get Magnetism and can sink me.
I may be able to capture some foolish workers too as an added bonus, but I'm not just going to camp Neapolis.  Gotta think big-picture here.
What I'm buying is information, right before the price goes up.

[Image: UREJP0P.png]
My Square-Rig Caravel which found Virginia [16] has now also found island [23].  
The Antarctic is right nearby, and there's a LOT of Tundra to be seen.

War:
[Image: FSYNLfd.png]
On Castaway[15] our hottest front, cgalik has deployed many river defenders.  
Those triremes are carrying phalanxes, so are actually little mobile defense platforms.  
The phalanx will defend if attacked, and receive terrain bonuses as well.
Unfortunately, this also highlights the vulnerability that the river on the island creates, that so many units have to be deployed and exposed to secure it.
My Caravel is going to head over to Tom Hanks to load up some units to try to make a surprise landing on Croatia[20] to "spice things up".

What are the units/properties of those units you are using in this state of the game?