I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Imperium 46: haphazard1's Bears fight to expand

During the initial discussion of the concept for this Imperium, I posted:

(June 26th, 2018, 20:23)haphazard1 Wrote: I think the starting colony ship would be needed, or else the start rolled needs to have a close neighbor or two so conquest can begin early. An isolated start would mean the player is stuck at one (or two) planets for some time while the AIs expand out to mulitple worlds; not sure that big a starting deficit could be overcome on impossible.

We did keep the initial colony ship, and played on Hard rather than impossible. But my concerns turned out to be correct, at least for my attempt at conquering the galaxy. frown

I grabbed the neighboring system at 1 LY with the starting colony ship, and it was a decently large planet. But from that point no further expansion was possible until one of the AIs colonized Thrax to the west; with Orion to the south there was little hope of gaining any close neighbors to invade in that direction for a long time. I developed my two planets and started researching with an emphasis on propulsion for better range tech. But as more and more years passed with no sign of any AIs at Thrax, my worries grew.

More years passed, and GNN reported the Psilons expanding to more systems. Not good. frown

Still more years passed, and then more. Still no sign of any AIs.

The galactic council met for the first time yikes and I knew this game was not going to end well. frown My two planets and the empty systems in the northeast corner of the galaxy that my scouts could reach meant the AIs had almost everything else...with the Psilons having a big chunk of territory. Doom was becoming apparent.

Finally an Alkari scout approached Thrax, followed the next year by a Mrrshan scout. But still no AI colony ships; not enough range yet. Finally Thrax was colonized by the Psilons, and I launched my doomed invasion force. Bear infantry took the planet easily enough, but Psilon larges carrying death spores counter-attacked immediately and wiped out the fledgling colony. cry Then the spore ships came for the Bear core worlds....

I am curious to see how other players' games went. Did the AIs show up and colonize worlds close enough for invasion earlier, allowing for some expansion? Or did someone manage to actually win this from such an isolated start, two planets against an entire galaxy? Hopefully most games went better than mine. I still think this was a neat concept for an Imperium, but my worries about an isolated start turned out to be all too accurate, at least for my attempt. frown

Oh damn alright This sounds like a variant where the RNG can really screw you over. I didn't even try, but I tend to have more fun with SGs than with Imperia anyway. On the bright side, if yours is the only non-shadow report, do you win by default?

I am hoping we get at least a couple more reports, just to get more data on what the AI expansion patterns looked like in more games. I was surprised at how long it took for any AI to colonize Thrax in my game, especially with the Silicoids in the game. But they must have focused their efforts in a different direction. frown

Did some digging through my auto saves (a great feature of the latest patch nod). The Psilons finally got around to colonizing Thrax in 2369; the galactic council had already met several years earlier. I tried to make a move to expand at that point, but the Psilons had grown too strong and had multiple larges with death spores; they wiped out Thrax the turn after I conquered it. frown

Waiting for more range before using the initial colony ship was an interesting move, and it sounds like it paid off very nicely in your game. Smart choice. nod

The support cost of the coolony ship is pretty significant that early. But given the variant rule it could not be replaced later, so the cost would just have to be eaten while researching range tech. frown

I had researched Deep Space Scanner, so I had some visibility on AI movements near Thrax. I removed my scout from the system once I had explored it; I was worried about discouraging AI settlement.

The Psilons colonized Thrax in 2369. They had (I think, would have to check to be certain) 7 or 8 systems at that point. They had triggered the first GNN warning quite a while before that, which is 6 systems in a small galaxy if I am remembering correctly.

It was frustrating, since my scouts had found some other AI colonies at extended ranges (Humans at Hyades, Psilons at Lyae (or was it Lyra?), and Silicoids northwest. But all those would have required range 8 to reach with transports. frown If necessary in a regular game you can always pay a hefty premium to build a colony ship on a larger hull with extended fuel tanks to jump a gap. But there is not much you can do with transports except keep researching range.