I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Squares or hexes?

The first question from Slitherine : do we prefer hexes or square map tiles?
Let them know by posting your opinion here!

While squares have that classic 4X game feel, hexes avoid the issues of diagonal movement/distance vs. orthogonal movement/distance. I would prefer hexes but it is not a strong preference. If they do go with hexes, making sure the "density" of things on the map and the radius of effects (the number of tiles within N) are appropriate for the difference is important.

Hexes introduce the zig zag movement when moving sideways though. I'd say squares to keep with the mom tradition.

Or distances. Why not drop the grid altogether?

It's not a strong issue for me. Squares work, hexes work, tileless works. If square tiles save a significant amount of development resources (that could instead be put into gameplay), that's my choice.

FWIW, I'd accept the whole MOM graphics and interface if it meant more resources invested in better gameplay.

(October 9th, 2019, 10:44)JustOneMoreTurn Wrote: Squares work, hexes work, tileless works.  If square tiles save a significant amount of development resources (that could instead be put into gameplay), that's my choice.

This. nod The game play is more important than the tile type (or non-tiles).

A modern interface is certainly desirable with all the nice things we have come to expect such as tool tips and context menus and the like. And many people especially more casual gamers would not accept the interfaces of the past. But the game play needs to be good or how pretty it is does not really matter.

I believe being able to right click anything on the screen to open the appropriate help entry was a way better interface than tooltips and was what made MoM's UI exceptionally good. Tooltips are super annoying, why wait for the information to appear on its own when I could make it happen by clicking the mouse? However that doesn't mean MoM's help system can't be further improved. If you could right click on various keywords in help entiries to open additional help windows that can be even better, like right clicking on the word "relation" in Aura of Majesty's help entry opening up the help for diplomatic relations.

I definitely agree gameplay is more important, but tile type does influence gameplay. For example hexes limit you to surround a unit with at most 6 others while squares allow 8. This influences how effective multiple units attacking the same enemy, or protecting one of your own from enemies reaching it is. Hexes also reduce the number of paths you can choose from, making it harder to avoid "slow" terrain tiles.

Hexes also influence the number of tiles belonging to each city, assuming a range of 2, you get 19 hexes, while using squares you have 21 without the corners, 25 if including them. I'm not sure how hexes would influence the "overlap" of multiple cities being in range of the same tile, with squares the corners were removed from the area because they could have more than 2 cities overlapping.

Squares, if there are hexes...I will be most upset
Wont stop me from getting it though.

I might cry though. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT SILTHERINE?!

@Seravy where did they post this request? I couldn't find anything on their forums. Or are you having private discussions with the devs? (if so, cooooool).

I think I'd prefer traditional squares but its not a deal breaker for me if they go hexagons like everyone else seems to be doing these days.
Civilization Mods/Scenarios:
Civ1 Soundtrack Overhaul mod, ToT Graphics for Civ2MGE mod, Star Wars Civ2 Scenario, Heroes of Might & Magic Civ2 Scenario, Wonxs C&C Civ2 Scenario Remaster, Red Alert 2 Siege of New York Civ2 Scenario, Civ2 Master of Magic Jr Scenario Remaster For ToT, Attilas Conquest - Play as Barbarians in every Civ game Scenario Series.

[Image: BGx3xEC.gif]
Blake's Sanctum:
- TC Mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, & Star Trek Doom 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games

It's from email. I guess you haven't seen this? https://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/show...p?tid=9747

Nope I missed it. That's great they're talking to you. So are they actually reading threads here or do you have to send it to them?

I've posted this thread over in the MoM Facebook group and will post responses here once I've got a bunch.
Civilization Mods/Scenarios:
Civ1 Soundtrack Overhaul mod, ToT Graphics for Civ2MGE mod, Star Wars Civ2 Scenario, Heroes of Might & Magic Civ2 Scenario, Wonxs C&C Civ2 Scenario Remaster, Red Alert 2 Siege of New York Civ2 Scenario, Civ2 Master of Magic Jr Scenario Remaster For ToT, Attilas Conquest - Play as Barbarians in every Civ game Scenario Series.

[Image: BGx3xEC.gif]
Blake's Sanctum:
- TC Mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, & Star Trek Doom 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games