I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

I'm playing this game yet again

So between the Diablo 4 announcement and a bunch of threads getting bumped here, I picked up a compulsion to play this game yet again.  Starting a new project, going by the following rules:

- A set of 7 single-player hardcore characters, one of each class, aiming to complete Hell difficulty and make Guardian with each.

- No variant restrictions, all character builds and items and mercs are allowed.

- Sharing items by this rule: characters that have completed the same acts can trade freely among each other until beginning the next act.  (So in general, I'll play all 7 in parallel, one act at a time.)

- No mods.  No expanded or shared stash, characters keep and trade only what they can carry.  No realm-only ubers or runewords in single-player, or loot filters or anything else that's not part of the standard unmodded game of Diablo 2.

- No respecs.  [This rule was edited in later; I hadn't decided at first about it, so you'll see discussion below.]

- No repeating areas or rerunning bosses; each character makes a single pass through the game.  [Also edited in later after some discussion.]

- If a character dies, it can be replaced with a new one of the same class starting from the beginning, as long as the character build has some significant difference (roughly, at least two different maxed skills.)  The replacement character is still subject to the rule of trading only with characters that have completed the same acts (so solo until it catches up, unless multiple characters die.)

My favorite part of the game is arranging and allocating items between characters.  I think this structure hits the sweet spot of making that interesting but not overpowered.  Each character gets 7 times as much selection to pick from compared to playing solo, which should allow some solidly satisfying options but without degenerating into the known standard optimal packages.  And this avoids how I went a bit overboard with my hardcore stable previously, on item twinking and reuse and things like imbue/hellforge rushers.  Every item travels through the game once and only once; nothing ever gets sent "backwards" to be used before it was found, nor reused through the same areas/acts multiple times by different characters.  And the quantity of characters is fixed to set an ultimate endpoint rather than an open-ended sprawl of dozens more builds as I also did before.

Here's the list of character builds:

Necromancer: Standard bonemancer, my favorite class in general.  If he dies, the backup plan for a replacement is a standard summoner.

Assassin: Standard trapper, my next favorite, and was my first pure/untwinked Guardian.  And really hope she succeeds because the backup plan of melee with an assassin is clunky and dangerous.

Amazon: Javazon with lightning and poison skills.  Picked over a bowazon because those skills work with any javelin in a limited item pool, rather than needing to find a good bow.  But bow skills is obviously the backup plan, and actually twice over as either a physical- or elemental-based shooter.

Barbarian: Whirlwind and Berserk main skills, as I think is the standard best barbarian build.  All other barb combat skills suck (I'm not doing Leap Attack or throwing all the way through hell), so a backup would use the same combat skills while changing out the weapon mastery and war cries.

Druid: Wind spellcaster.  Like the javazon, that's the best build of the class to cobble together with a limited item pool.  Backup plan would have to be a melee werebear, although that depends on a strong weapon, and also on the bizarre wereform speed mechanics which I used to know fairly well but have now forgotten and don't want to relearn unless I have to.

Sorceress: I'm going with lightning/cold rather than the somewhat more powerful fire/cold because I think it's more fun (because Meteor is slow and clunky to use), and also to leave room for the fire as plan B.

Paladin: This one is the hardest.  This is by far the worst class for survival in solo hardcore.  He's fully exposed to monsters all the time: no summonable minions to hide behind, no teleport to keep away, no disabling skills like Cloak of Shadows or Dim Vision or Shockwave, and no big life boost like Battle Orders or Werebear either.  A hammerdin is obviously the powerful option on offense, but I've actually fared poorly with them in hardcore, the short range with a fragile character is dangerous, never made one to Guardian in about four attempts.  And there's this in the 1.13 patch notes which is new since the last time I played D2: "Blessed Hammer - No longer ignores resistances of undead and demons."  That sounds like enough of a nerf for BH to have trouble making it through Hell singlehandedly.  And there's no room for a hammerdin to do any hybrid, since BH/Conc/synergies need basically all your skill points.

The only paladin I ever made Guardian with was a Vengeance/Conviction meleer, but he had a pretty elite set of equipment acquired by other characters.  I hate Zeal melee, for how it spreads out the damage instead of actually killing shit.  Smite is slow too.  Maybe a Fist of the Heavens spellcaster, who can attack at long range, which is about all the safety a paladin can get, but blasting just one monster at a time is very slow later on.

Anyway, so far I've played the first four characters up through act 3 normal (really no point to bother trading items before that), and about to start the druid next.  So anyone got suggestions for a survivable hardcore paladin?

No clue. "Dies too many times to be fun and loses entrance of claw viper temple" was the fate of the longest running softcore pally I played, zealot of course. Maybe you'll really have to slowly push through the game with Fist of the Heavens, no matter the (mana) cost.

Or maybe a Ranger of some sorts. But basically every non-caster has to deal with attack rating and enhanced damage, a.k.a. the Multiple Attribute Dependency (MAD), which translates into needing gear.

i like playing my pallys using the Offensive Aura's. Rotating between holy fire/freeze/shock with something as a backup like Smite for bosses/ elemental immune. Kinda curious why you dont have Druid summoner as a backup. That seems pretty easy for a backup.
"Superdeath seems to have acquired a rep for aggression somehow. [Image: noidea.gif] In this game that's going to help us because he's going to go to the negotiating table with twitchy eyes and slightly too wide a grin and terrify the neighbors into favorable border agreements, one-sided tech deals and staggered NAPs."
-Old Harry. PB48.

So since I posted that and sleeping on it, I think I really should just do a hammerdin after all.

First I played the druid through act 1, just whacking through with melee, since he doesn't get Tornado until level 24.  I was hoping he'd find a druid pelt with Werewolf or Werebear skill for some help with melee in the interim, but he didn't.  So I decided to let him wait after finishing act 1 and see if any other character turned up a suitable pelt to give him.  So I started the paladin.  (Who did find a +Werewolf pelt for the druid.)  (BTW, for both the paladin and druid and any other character who needs to whack through act 1 with melee: Use a two-handed weapon.  It deals twice as much damage to get through faster, and you'll never miss the puny available selection of shields.)

Playing the druid then the paladin reminded me what's so irritating about paladin melee.  For any other character, put your melee skill on the right mouse button, and you can right-click-drag around in empty space and the character will automatically run to and attack monsters at the pointer.  This doesn't work for a paladin: the aura can only go on right-click, so he must attack with left-click, but left-click works differently for melee attacks, you can't drag to attack, you have to individually click on every monster.  I don't know how I had the patience for that with my Vengeance guardian.

So I think I have to go hammerdin.  I really don't know at all how much of a problem the not-ignoring-resistances is, how many monster types are concerned.  No guide seems to say; no hammerdin guide has been updated since the 1.13 patch.  So I guess I'll give it a shot.  The Concentration aura also benefits the mercenary, so maybe his physical damage can be enough against magic immunes, maybe with the paladin also chipping in with some Zeal after all.

But that's a problem for only Hell difficulty.  Blessed Hammer is by far the most powerful way through normal and nightmare up to that.  And the other new thing to consider is character resets, now available in patch 1.13.  I'm really not sure what to make of that.  That's so different than my first ten years of building characters in this game that it feels like cheating.  I've been resisting the temptation to pump low-level skills for the early acts that will be reset later - that just feels so wrong.  I feel like I only want to use the respecs reactively, in response to something unforeseen, like some great weapon that draws you into an alternative build.  I don't want to deliberately do something that is planned to undo and respec later... but maybe that is best way to handle the paladin after all, go as far as Blessed Hammer can, and if it does hit enough of a wall, then switch over to Vengeance/Conviction or Fist.

And finally, I should take that I haven't Guardianed a hammerdin before as a challenge to be accepted, confront that head-on rather than fleeing from it.

(November 24th, 2019, 03:12)Boro Wrote: No clue. "Dies too many times to be fun and loses entrance of claw viper temple" was the fate of the longest running softcore pally I played, zealot of course.

We're playing completely different games here.  A character at level 19 with a patchwork of early skills and junk items is a totally different ballgame than level 50 with a major killing skill maxed and synergized plus all the class's passives online, all boosted with +skills items.  The game doesn't really begin until clvl 30.  You gotta push through that nadir of the power curve to get to the good stuff.

(November 24th, 2019, 03:12)Boro Wrote: Maybe you'll really have to slowly push through the game with Fist of the Heavens, no matter the (mana) cost.

Mana is never a problem, I have no problem popping up to town to buy a dozen mana potions every few minutes if need be.  A bonemancer and most sorceresses run on that.  A paladin also has the Redemption aura to top off mana after each skirmish, so that's not a problem at all.  My only character that ever outspent what I could tolerate on mana was a Nova sorceress, which I think is the skill with the fastest overall consumption, the highest cost that can go the fastest with no cooldown timer.

(November 24th, 2019, 03:12)Boro Wrote: Or maybe a Ranger of some sorts. But basically every non-caster has to deal with attack rating and enhanced damage, a.k.a. the Multiple Attribute Dependency (MAD), which translates into needing gear.

That's the reason to go with Vengeance/Conviction.  Besides the resistance penalty, Conviction also inflicts up to -90% monster defense.  Which also works for the mercenary's attacks as well.  The multiple attribute dependency still exists for the weapon (you need an elite base type AND a big damage multiplier AND attack speed), but at least attack rating can be factored out of it.

(November 24th, 2019, 03:28)superdeath Wrote: i like playing my pallys using the Offensive Aura's. Rotating between holy fire/freeze/shock with something as a backup like Smite for bosses/ elemental immune.

I'm not sure you've actually done that into any of hell difficulty.  Holy Fire deals laughably tiny damage.  So does Smite; you need to max all of itself and Holy Shield and a physical damage aura (usually Fanaticism) to get it anywhere near respectable, and 60 skill points is an entire build not a backup plan.  (Smite as a backup plan relies on Crushing Blow equipment.)  Same goes for Holy Shock: viable if built right, but it too needs a full build of itself and a synergy multiplier (Resist Lightning), and at any rate it's still delivered by so just a different flavor of Zeal, including its AR deficiency.

(November 24th, 2019, 03:28)superdeath Wrote: Kinda curious why you dont have Druid summoner as a backup. That seems pretty easy for a backup.

No solution to physical immunes.  No elemental skill is enough without synergizing it, and if he does that then he's more of an elementalist than a summoner anyway.  But even besides that, he doesn't really have enough killing power.  He's survivable but phenomenally boring.  Survivable because the minions are freely recastable as many times as need be, unlike skeletons and revives.  But 3 dire wolves or 1 grizzly deal far less damage than 20 skeletons, plus the druid has no Amplify curse to help out.

Could have swore that those crappy ravens get past physical immune.. Hmm. Man it has been a long time since ive played.
"Superdeath seems to have acquired a rep for aggression somehow. [Image: noidea.gif] In this game that's going to help us because he's going to go to the negotiating table with twitchy eyes and slightly too wide a grin and terrify the neighbors into favorable border agreements, one-sided tech deals and staggered NAPs."
-Old Harry. PB48.

(November 25th, 2019, 10:34)T-hawk Wrote:
(November 24th, 2019, 03:12)Boro Wrote: No clue. "Dies too many times to be fun and loses entrance of claw viper temple" was the fate of the longest running softcore pally I played, zealot of course.

We're playing completely different games here.  A character at level 19 with a patchwork of early skills and junk items is a totally different ballgame than level 50 with a major killing skill maxed and synergized plus all the class's passives online, all boosted with +skills items.  The game doesn't really begin until clvl 30.  You gotta push through that nadir of the power curve to get to the good stuff.
Err, that was hell difficulty, and in part because Mlvls are so high for all underground areas (in order to make them all "competitive" for endgame gear-hunting I presume) that my whiffing and low damage finally caught up with me. I recovered (and left, it was a true rogue revival styled bunny rush there) many many corpses, ran out of purples, and had to concede the push in the end.

(November 24th, 2019, 03:12)Boro Wrote: Maybe you'll really have to slowly push through the game with Fist of the Heavens, no matter the (mana) cost.
Mana is never a problem, I have no problem popping up to town to buy a dozen mana potions every few minutes if need be.  A bonemancer and most sorceresses run on that.  A paladin also has the Redemption aura to top off mana after each skirmish, so that's not a problem at all.  My only character that ever outspent what I could tolerate on mana was a Nova sorceress, which I think is the skill with the fastest overall consumption, the highest cost that can go the fastest with no cooldown timer.
And to think I suggested DP101 the Inferno/Nova sorc... That skill is painfully bad at mana efficiency, almost as bad as lightning casters in current dark souls 2. Even Frozen Orb with it's global cooldown took the occasional mana potion to keep going at times.

At any rate I wonder how a fist of the heavens pally would go. Perhaps it's time for me to push another through the normal nadir.

(November 24th, 2019, 03:12)Boro Wrote: Or maybe a Ranger of some sorts. But basically every non-caster has to deal with attack rating and enhanced damage, a.k.a. the Multiple Attribute Dependency (MAD), which translates into needing gear.

That's the reason to go with Vengeance/Conviction.  Besides the resistance penalty, Conviction also inflicts up to -90% monster defense.  Which also works for the mercenary's attacks as well.  The multiple attribute dependency still exists for the weapon (you need an elite base type AND a big damage multiplier AND attack speed), but at least attack rating can be factored out of it.
Not to mention you are most likely getting (with a few runs and very little farming) nada in terms of either bases, magics, rares, or the runes required to fulfill that. Also with Conviction you need elemental damage from vengeance, so you're forced to stay in melee and take the hits. Not something suitable for a melee/caster hybrid class (according to the potion potency list) without the equipment.
(November 24th, 2019, 03:28)superdeath Wrote: Kinda curious why you dont have Druid summoner as a backup. That seems pretty easy for a backup.

No solution to physical immunes.  No elemental skill is enough without synergizing it, and if he does that then he's more of an elementalist than a summoner anyway.  But even besides that, he doesn't really have enough killing power.  He's survivable but phenomenally boring.  Survivable because the minions are freely recastable as many times as need be, unlike skeletons and revives.  But 3 dire wolves or 1 grizzly deal far less damage than 20 skeletons, plus the druid has no Amplify curse to help out.
Yup, that was the one that killed off Sullla's Winnie playthrough.

I'm giving it a try with MaxBear, some Oak Sage, Fissure and Volcano, but it has to reach hell before we see what it's truly made of. At least I get to try out the style of both Sullla's summoner and your fissure fisher.)

(November 26th, 2019, 12:46)Boro Wrote: Err, that was hell difficulty, and in part because Mlvls are so high for all underground areas (in order to make them all "competitive" for endgame gear-hunting I presume) that my whiffing and low damage finally caught up with me. I recovered (and left, it was a true rogue revival styled bunny rush there) many many corpses, ran out of purples, and had to concede the push in the end.

OK, I misinterpreted you, too many people around here restarting new characters after two acts of normal difficulty.  smile  But yeah, around mid act 2 in Hell is where monster health starts to escalate out of reach (and there's no payoff waiting on the far side this time) of all but the truly powerful character builds, which Zeal really isn't.  Vengeance/Conviction does deliver more damage per second, by working around AR deficiency and physical resistance and elemental immunity, plus it focuses on a single target instead of Zeal-spreading and doesn't put you in Zeal-lock.

I'm convinced Vengeance is the best paladin melee build, and probably second-best overall after hammerdin.  He does need a weapon.  A baseline that should be basically always attainable is the Honor runeword (highest rune Sol) in a chassis of a Knout early or Scourge later (exceptional/elite flails, fast, gets the required number of sockets (5) from the Larzuk quest.)  Not great but probably about at the minimum end of viable to finish Hell.  My Vengeance guardian used a Nord's Tenderizer that was found by some other character.

(November 26th, 2019, 12:46)Boro Wrote: At any rate I wonder how a fist of the heavens pally would go. Perhaps it's time for me to push another through the normal nadir.

If this is single-player and you're willing to push the bounds of legitimacy, there is the "-act5" command line parameter, which starts a new character in act 5 at level 32.  You have to go back and run through the earlier acts if you want the quests (skill points etc.) Or besides that, you can alternatively pump some other early killing skill (maybe Zeal + Might) and respec when you hit 30 for Fist.  Or even if you play it straight, Holy Shock is Fist's synergy so you can pump and use that from clvl 24.  Holy Bolt is Fist's other synergy so you can raise that early too and use vs undead.

Where a Fister shines best is the Chaos Sanctuary.  Everything is undead except the Venom Lords, so you just aim at those and the holy bolts wipe everything else.  My Fister did a number of CS runs (kill Diablo with Smite and Crushing Blow) before he died in one run on Infector's boss pack.

Last I saw, only months ago, Hammerdin are doing just fine. Pallys still rank top on hardcore ladder.

Nice set of twinking *cough, Sirian* restrictions.

Personally, I am against respec. That is one of the biggest appeal of D1 and D2 over D3. D1 and D2 are characters, D3 are toons. But of course this opinion is quite personal YMMV.

KoP

Ladder rankings are different than reaching Guardian.  Ladder is a measure of your peak in clearing easy areas fast (exactly what hammerdins do), not your broad ability to get through all areas.  You never have to worry about immune monsters if you don't ever have to go to those areas.

Related to respecs: I'm really tempted to add one more character to the team, so I can have both a javazon and bowazon.  But that upsets the symmetry of the classes, but I don't want to restore that by doing two of each class instead, both because not all classes have two distinct guardian-viable builds (particularly barb and assassin) and because I don't really want to play through 14 times instead of 7 or 8.  I'm kinda hoping some bow drops that is sufficiently special to warrant respeccing to bowazon - that's where a respec does feel legit, reactively accommodating something unforeseen, that would have caused a whole character restart prior to 1.13.

(November 28th, 2019, 00:49)T-hawk Wrote: Ladder rankings are different than reaching Guardian.  Ladder is a measure of your peak in clearing easy areas fast (exactly what hammerdins do), not your broad ability to get through all areas.  You never have to worry about immune monsters if you don't ever have to go to those areas.

True that, but that applies to all classes and builds. The numbers only show Pallys are still the more playable thus more common with the pubbies. Of course there is no telling how they (hardcore toons) get to the top; I would assume they play mostly coop/team games. So yeah, solo characters definitely have different challenges.

KoP