I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

NEW ADVANCED MUSIC: Best quality setup!!

It appears the original developers at Simtex around 1990-1994..
I mean their super-skilled musicians George Sanger and David Govett  were really fond of the  ..then..in those heroic "retro-times".. massively amazing Gravis Ultrasound sound-card (GUS) and specifically composed the music of Master of Magic to fully take advantage of the Gravis legend, which was the best at that time.

So this is a howto.. how to listen to the best quality music available in MOM. smile

I'm enjoying their masterful work with the best sounding Caster of Magic ever.. 
Not counting connecting a virtual midi-synth with a really large SF2 to dosbox of course, which also will have the disadvantage that the musical instruments were not tuned and not selected specifically for MOM.  But the MOM music was specifically tuned to fantastic Gravis.

You need to replace the MOM music driver to the Gravis-enhanced one:

1. Here you find the GUS driver. = MOMGUS.ZIP (search for "Master of Magic" on that page, click on the link once)
(If that doesn't work, just use the attached file, renamed to SNDDRV.LBX)

2. In the archive you find SNDDRV.LBX, overwrite the vanilla MOM file in the Caster of Magic folder.

Now: Normally you would need to buy a Gravis Card and here from its floppy disks install the Gravis software, so you get the essential ULTRASND folder, but its a lot of hassle .. and I sold my beloved Gravis Ultrasound Max 1MB like 24 years ago.. 
and
DOSBOX can already emulate GUS, so DOSBOX developers already **gave** you a free GUS soundcard, which was expensive at the time, especially the upgraded versions.. anyway.. here is the forum link how you can make this ULTRASND folder, but if you are busy and lazy and greedy like me.. then here is the archived folder, the only thing you need smile (click on the link in the forum thread)  Unpack the archive and extract the
ULTRASND folder      (use the "enhanced Patch" version)

then MOVE the ULTRASND folder

into the

Caster of Magic folder

Now:

In Caster of Magic folder find:

dosboxMOM.conf

edit it with a good text-editor

go to the section named:
===========================

[GUS]
gus=true
gusrate=44100
gusbase=330
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

===========================

the lines above should be there, but not the "===" I use the === just a separator here..

On a piece of paper write these numbers down
gusbase=330
gusirq=5
gusdma=3

then

Still in
dosboxMOM.conf

Notice I have copied Caster of Magic folder to the root of my HDD, (or almost to the root..)

=====so this goes into dosboxMOM.conf, so go to the END  and expand what is already there with something like this, using your own game folder for Caster of Magic, which for simplicity's sake maybe should be D:\MOM ??================

@ECHO OFF
mount C d:\MOM\

c:

cd ultrasnd
ultramid

cd..

mixer gus 40:40
cls

#magic.exe

INSTALL.EXE

exit

=======================

Notice magic.exe is commented out. You only need to run INSTALL.EXE ** ONCE ** and select there for music the Gravis Ultrasound card and from that piece of paper select the card's parameters,

gusbase=330
gusirq=5
gusdma=3

something like that.  When you finished Choose OK and exit from the installer.

then edit  dosboxMOM.conf again to say:

note: d:\MOM\ is where-ever you keep your Caster of Magic files, could be e:\Games\MOM\  or whatever.. the **short** path is for DOSBOX so it doesn't get confused with spaces in the path, like
d:\Program Files\MOM\
etc..
that's why  I have Caster of Magic in

d:\MOM\

anyway:   change the end of dosboxMOM.conf back to

==================

@ECHO OFF
mount C d:\MOM\
c:

cd ultrasnd
ultramid

cd..

mixer gus 40:40
cls

magic.exe

exit

==================

"Done and done!"  smile You are done. Then You just create a shortcut on your desktop for your favorite DOSBOX version, I prefer the massively amazing SVN Daum DOSBOX, because it has 10 save states, which work as super-fast quick-saves, but you can save any second, in any menu, in battle, in separate turns of battle, you can save a Save State in the Main Menu, on the city screen, ..... anywhere!!  And loading back those save states is on shortcut - check the help files for SVN Daum - and this way, you DON'T HAVE TO WAIT, until MOM loads, you just got to DOXBOX Main menu, select Load Save State  1  and the game LOADS INSTANTLY!!!   Any save loads instantly and also saves instantly! You don't need to slooOOoOooowly like a turtle select GAME and write a save game and save or load.. no these state saves and loads in SVN Daum are instantaneous!!

So here is the shortcut

D:\MOM\dosbox.exe -conf dosboxMOM.conf

start in:
d:\MOM

When you start the game with this amazing config, you suddenly  get a surprise

CASTER OF MAGIC MUSIC HAS JUST BECOME BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

Attached Files
.zip   MOO_GUS.ZIP (Size: 12.6 KB / Downloads: 6)