Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Save during battle: Save States

I'm using this super-awesome DOSBOX special build.
Just copied it into a DOSBOX folder inside my MOM folder. Starting it directly via a shortcut configured as explained here.

+ Works like a PSX emulator.
+ Gives you 10 save states.
+ You can make 10 "quicksaves" anywhere ingame super-fast.
+ You can load back those 10 "quicksaves" anytime super-fast
+ Shortcuts you find in the readme "Special Features" section. Specifically:
Save / Load states
  • Alt - F5 : Save States
  • Alt - F6 : Prev Slot
  • Alt - F7 : Next Slot
  • Alt - F9 : Load States

I'm using it to save during combat and if some spell doesn't work, I can try out another.

Note that like an emulator this saves the entire memory state of the game, so probably the random calculator for the spell before you saved will give exactly the same results. Wait for another turn to try that spell again for a hopefully randomly generated result.

Since you can reconfigure all hotkeys, from the main menu or in this case:
Internal UI
  • Alt - F10 : Start the internal UI

This DOSBOX release has Continuous Turbo Mode switch!

I reconfigured the TAB button to switch into Continuous Turbo Mode to speed up enemy turns and enemy troops walking phases during combat.
Also AI turns can be nicely sped up on shortcut with this.

The file for keymapping is:

mapper-0.74-2.map

And if you change keycodes, you should be aware that if you save the file and it saves too many keys for one function, the turbo mode switch won't work properly.
I simply edited this file by hand, so my TAB now properly toggles Continuous Turbo Mode.

hand_speedlock "key 301"
hand_speedlock2 "key 292 mod2" "key 9"

I used to use Turbo mode on KeyDown only. But I use SpeedUp so much that I realized: to preserve my keyboards health, I rather should use my relatively rarely used TAB button, so I don't wreck my keyboard with repeatedly holding down  a configured hotkey only to make the game run on turbo, when I hold that key down = it quickly destroys keyboard hardware..

Also configuring the amazing Gravis music initially would slow the game down by loading musical patches every time you load a save via the Game menu. But since DOSBOX SVN DAUM can create save-states, it already saved all the musical patches in those save states.
So when I start up MOM with DOSBOX SVN DAUM,

at start it selects Save State Number 1 by default

I just press ALT+F9 and the first quicksave is immediately loaded with zero waiting time.

This is excellent for quickly resuming gameplay - to just play 4 minutes at a time for example - or saving the game also lightning fast!!