I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

OSG-36 Over-Friendly Bugs

Race: Klackons
Difficulty: Impossible
Galaxy Size: Medium
Opponents: Five
Color: Red
Map Generation: Random - I just took the first map rolled
Events: On
Game Version: 1.4M - but do we also want to play with SDragon's battle scanner bugfix?
Variant:  We are very, very friendly bugs - perhaps too friendly for our own good!
1) You must make every effort to complete a tech exchange as early as possible in each of your turn sets, including choosing one from the first list of options you get, no matter the price! (After the first exchange of your set you can handle tech exchanges however you normally would; this requires only one total trade per turn set, no matter how many other AIs you've met.)
2) Any time an AI requests a trade agreement or a Non-Aggression Pact during the interturn, you must agree! (You needn't accept Peace, War, or Alliance requests however: We're only over-friendly to those who aren't fighting us and aren't trying to turn us into somebody's enemy!)

Also, of course, never "play ahead" (nor replay already-played turns) of the canonical turns while the game is ongoing - that is, don't do anything with the save (like using the Audience button or hitting "Next Turn") that will give you more information or a chance at good or bad RNG unless it's your turn to play - and then play your turns out with the consequences of whatever you do without reloading.  Likewise, remember to avoid the known exploits - although some of them (like infinitely recharging specials) are fortunately fixed and no longer concerns in 1.40M.

Our Start:

Looks promising at first glance (I admit some definitions of "promising" may be different from mine!) but I haven't started playing yet, as I'd prefer to let someone else take first crack at it, and I want to make sure of e.g. who's playing and whether we want to use SDragon's patch update.  (I'd like to try it out, but am happy either way.)

Roster In No Particular Order, Subject to Confirmation:
- RefSteel
- Arnuz
- Bionic Commando
- shallow_thought
-Cyneheard
- Open if others want to play!

Turn sets:  The early game tends to go quickly, so the first player plays 20 turns, the next two play 15 turns each, taking us to 2350, and everyone takes 10 turns per set thereafter.

Succession Game Etiquette:  Within 24 hours after the player before you posts the save, please either post a "Got it" message (indicating you've downloaded the save and intend to play your set within the next day or two) or ask to be skipped for a round or to swap places with another player.  Within 48 hours after posting a "Got it" please finish your turns and post a save (or request a skip or swap or extension if something comes up unexpectedly).

Attached Files
.gam   OSG-36-2300.GAM (Size: 57.65 KB / Downloads: 3)

Confirmed. I'm also up for trying out the new patch.
Quote:Get the heck out of here, you nerd!

Dear friends,

I got it!

Do we just accept proposals or do we actually offer good tech actively?

2300: Colony ship+scout to the red world because it opens up another world. Scout to the yellow.

2303: great success, it's a Jungle world with space for 80 million new friends! Peace is founded. The yellow star is an Inferno. For now, Peace builds factories. As soon as Kholdan reaches 66M I start sending population over to Peace and keep it at 66.

In the following turns:
* I explore the other worlds building some scouts. We spot some nice worlds far in the north, the best being to the NE, a terran 95. Otherwise it's not so good - see map.
* Bulrathi scouts unfortunately do not join for our Kumbaya dance in the worlds with the circle on the map. Their homeworld is probably the yellow star to the East. We're so lucky to have friendly teddies so close to us!

2317: Kholdan finishes the colony ship for Stalaz and starts the one for Vulcan.

[Image: roIncCZ.png]

The only meaningful decision is whether to immediately go range or not. Initially I opt for faster colony building. However, when I see that Pollus - the ultra rich - is an Inferno, stopping the expansion without range 4, and that the other surrounding worlds are bad I move Peace over to propulsion research. But not Kholdan which keeps building the colony ships: Stalaz and Vulcan are lined up, so while Vulcan's colony ship is moving to Stalaz Kholdan can switch to research and try to get it during the 6 years trip.

Reasearching in Kholdan would give us Vulcan later but a screen of scouts earlier and farther away. With the Bulrathi so close however, I feel that we should grab Vulcan and defend it asap. The latest game has taught me the consequences of not colonising close by planets at the first opportunity...

Attached Files
.gam   OSG-36-2320.GAM (Size: 57.65 KB / Downloads: 4)

(June 1st, 2020, 16:20)Arnuz Wrote: Dear friends,

I got it!

Do we just accept proposals or do we actually offer good tech actively?

I'm in.

We do offer good tech actively. Otherwise it really wouldn't be much of a variant.

Cyneheard is correct. "You must make every effort to complete a tech exchange as early as possible in each of your turn sets" means if you haven't made a tech trade yet during your turns, and you can get an audience with someone who might be willing to trade tech with us (including on the first turn of your set unless we have no contacts yet or everyone's diplomat is gone or we have current spy reports indicating we couldn't make an exchange anyway) then you must go for an Audience right away, and must ask to Exchange Technology before any other diplomatic action with that race. If they are "not interested in Klackon toys," you can do other diplomatic stuff with them if you want, but then you have to approach another race if possible until you've either made a tech trade with someone or confirmed that none of them want to exchange tech with us.

I've tried to improve the wording of the rule to make this a little more clear at first glance without a wall of text like this one!

Anyway, thanks for getting us started, Arnuz!

This should be interesting to follow. popcorn

Confirmed. Is the battle-scanner patch save compatible with Kyrub's? If so I'll definitely give it a try. I hate walking a big stack of small bombers up to a ship I don't realise has Pulsar ...
It may have looked easy, but that is because it was done correctly - Brian Moore

(June 2nd, 2020, 15:27)shallow_thought Wrote: Confirmed. Is the battle-scanner patch save compatible with Kyrub's? If so I'll definitely give it a try. I hate walking a big stack of small bombers up to a ship I don't realise has Pulsar ...

Yes; it's a patch for 1.4M specifically and shouldn't affect save game format in any way. You can just make a copy of your 1.4M folder, and overwrite the files in the folder you want to change with the contents of the zip file here and that should do the trick. (Saves are cross-compatible with 1.4M with or without SDragon's Battle Scanner fix - and with the old official 1.3 game for that matter!)

Meanwhile, we seem to have hit a snag after Arnuz's turn and I can't get to it until at least tomorrow, so...

Roster:
- Arnuz - just played
- Bionic Commando - Up if you're first to post a "Got It!'
- Cyneheard - Up if you're first to post a "Got It!'
- shallow_thought - Up if you're first to post a "Got It!'
- RefSteel - Will jump in when able!
- Still Open if others want to join!

Hi guys, would you accept a regular lurker to make its début in this SG with you? :-)