I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

OSG-36 Over-Friendly Bugs

Nice turnset! We're in good shape.
The wars are kind of inevitable once we get to that many planets.

(June 19th, 2020, 16:46)Cyneheard Wrote: Inertial Stabilizer wasn’t an option for trade from the Mrrshans, so went with Anti-Matter Bomb over a better gun or obsolete techs. However, this meant trading them Repulsor Beam so keep that in mind when fighting them.

That's way better of a deal than giving them the Repulsors for Neutron Blasters (as I had been offered in my turnset).
Now we have decent bombs, Fusion drives and this many planets... popcorn

(June 19th, 2020, 16:46)Cyneheard Wrote: Realize that UR Joy is NOT being fed reserves every turn. That’s a waste – reserves pay you back at a 50% bonus every turn, since every 1BC in creates 3BCs * 50% reserve penalty = 1.5 BCs.

Personally I don't like recursively feeding UR planets with its own reserves. I only feed them when i'm building them up, or rushing production of ships/bases. Even in these cases I put another planet to feed the BCs into the reserve.
Otherwise I feel it's too much of an exploit...

Anyway it's not such a big deal. Joy is a small-size UR (well at least it was when we colonized it shades ) and the benefit is not so big when compared to the total output of our empire.

(June 19th, 2020, 16:46)Cyneheard Wrote: I did not start building any offensive fleets, was trying to secure what we’d already taken, but there’s definitely room for us to start that soon. Haven’t tried any rounds of upgrading our ships, that can also be useful. We’re currently at war with everyone, so we can’t really be generous.

If we can't trade techs, I think we should choose someone to give a tech tribute to keep the spirit of the variant. After all we're overfriendly rolf

Great sets, guys - and with way better turn-around times than me. I'm kind of swamped with work and other concerns right now, but still enjoying the reports!

Roster:

- Arnuz - on deck
- RefSteel
- SpaceOWL
- Bionic Commando
- Cyneheard - just played
- shallow_thought - UP!

Got it!

Looking good! We can fit an AM bomb on a small, and only the Sakkra have real missiles (Stingers), so yeah, looks to me like time to start putting some production into the next generation of ships ... will try to steal a better gun!
It may have looked easy, but that is because it was done correctly - Brian Moore

"Humphrey, I beg you to get Central Command to listen. They've not been here, not heard the clacking of mandibles, not seen the actual new slogan carved into the walls of the corridors. That idiot Hacker has translated it 'Friendship is a Two-Way Street', which sounds harmless. Personally, I think a more idiomatic translation is 'Payback Time'."

Part of a message from Bernard Sheeplike, former Human Cultural Attache on Kholdan, to Sir Humphrey Pomegranate, Cabinet Secretary. Reported in "An unfinished history of how the Klackons crushed us like, well, bugs.", Sol University Underground Press.

"It was horrible, hearing that - for the first time since we made contact - not a single alien would talk to the new queen after her coronation. And whose fault is this? It can't be ours - we're the good guys!"

An unidentified Klackon worker to a GNN news-droid, 2430.

---

T2430
-
Looking at our available tech and targets, the Meklar huge gunships would make it hard to hold orbit around their worlds (that Heavy Fusion ARS design is close to something I would build, although slower), while the Sakkra have Stingers, which we need better drives and/or Stabilizer to beat. Which leaves the cats ...

Priority is holding off incoming (not hard?), and setting up to hit the cats. If we can steal / pillage Fusion Beam or Megabolt, or better drives, then I think it's game over.

I decide now is an OK time to build shields in our backlines - I hate having to scramble if something odd happens.

T2431
-----
Unity gets Radiated. Bah. Well, we have Atmo to fix it.

T2432
-
Spies destroy factories, we get Shields VI, with VII as our only choice at the next tier.

T2433
-
I design a huge Ion Gunship as a placeholder and set our largest worlds and Joy to building it.

T2434
-
Cats arrive at Unity, and are suckered in by their own superior battle computers - I retreat our lone fighter immediately, but they still let me get a round of Stingers off and on target before they flee.

At Talas, I do commit our fighters against a lone Meklar Tornado with its heavy cannon. After a couple of rounds I retreat them with a handful of losses - and the ship still tries to reach the planet through a wall of Stingers. Ouch for them. The the Sakkra come in, and they are fast so I retreat immediately, still getting the chance to sting a few of their larges to death before they retreat in turn.

T2435
-
Armored Exoskeleton is in. I pick IIT4 over Andrium, as we already have Zortium. Might be nice to get this lined up around the same time as Adv Soil if possible ...

Berel is going to go nova.

Humans offer peace ... I don't want to kill them just yet, so I say yes. Of course, this triggers our variant ... but they don't want our primitive inventions (more accurately, they don't have any spare tech to offer us ... only their top-tier drive tech). Peace or not, I keep trying to steal Impulse from them.

T2436
-----
With no espionage hits on gun tech, and OMG about to come in, I pause ship-building with 2t to go where relevant.

T2437
-----
OMG-V is in, Auto Blaster is our only choice. Not terrible, but Repulsors could cause us problems.

T2438
-----
Fight off Meklar at Talas, Sakkra at Celebration - which can now finally start building factories!

T2439
-----
Meklar continue to come up with genuinely awkwards designs - at least at the ship-to-ship level. The Nexus packs 49 Magabolt's, an auto-repair and a pulsar, with a speed of 2. Fighters are not going to cut it ... we need better engines and a decent heavy beam :-( . It can't scratch our planets, but if they pair this up with something with fusion bombs ...

T2440
-----
I finally get an espionage hit, against the Sakkra, and I get my choice of any category ... We're a long way through Advanced Soil, so I don't go with planetology. Propulsion and hope for Impulse or Stabilizer? Nope, I for weapons, hoping for one of Blasters, Megabolt or Fusion Beams ... and get Anti-Matter Torpedoes. Sigh. At least it's fairly high level for minaturisation purposes. Maybe it would actually be useful against those Meklar ships, with a hit-and-run design? I've never really used the damn things.

And another hit - against the cats! Only construction available rolleye . IIT9 is deeply unexciting...

Generosity loses five factories to spies ...

Range 9 is in ... and Star Gates are our only option shakehead .

Finally, Berel fixes its sun. Nice.

-

Notes for next player:
Any world with a relocation to Talas set up is producing ships / has paused with 2t to go. With the miniaturisation from that last turn I was a bit worried that something might be about to pop, but I did a quick check and can't see any.

So, there is a mass of builds and reserves available - my problem was I didn't feel I could design a good gunship that can deal with Pulsars / Repulsors / ARS. So, I set tech to start feeding Auto-Blasters this turn, but there's nothing actually committed. Advanced Soil should be well on it's way, with IIT4 also fed.

I've done more tweaking on the last turn than I normally would for an SG, because of techs just coming in, but no reserve spending.

Overall, a fairly dull turnset. We should be set to explode though, either in pop / factories or with ships, or both! Oh, and I'm sorry if the little bit of in-character stuff made anyone think I had actually exterminated the humans this set! Hitting them to try to grab Impulse may well be smart, particularly with our poor available selection in Propulsion but I didn't have the heart for it once they offered peace.

Attached Files
.gam   OSG36-2440.GAM (Size: 57.65 KB / Downloads: 2)
It may have looked easy, but that is because it was done correctly - Brian Moore

This game continues to be a fun one to follow. popcorn Klackons living up (down?) to their stereotype as propulsion-challenged.

Roster:

- Arnuz - UP!
- RefSteel - on deck
- SpaceOWL
- Bionic Commando
- Cyneheard
- shallow_thought - just played

(bump)

2441: Meklar peace. We exchange Shield 3 for ISS with them. 

2443: Spies hit Sakkra: propulsion: inertial stabilizers. Sakkra, Mrrshan both offer peace. 

With this development we start plans for war. Earwig, after an earth wood eating insect, is armed with 2 merculite missiles, while Bombus - the superior bumblebee of course - sports an antimatter bomb and an inertia stabilizer.

To keep up our good neighbour relations we exchange neutron blasters for adv. eco restoration with the Mrrshans. Meklars and Sakkra already have it anyway. While at it we also exchange shield 3 for controlled toxic and range 5 for controlled inferno. Inferno for ECM2 with Sakkra. These are very nice presents to our friends! Also, they avoid having a good espionage roll wasted. 

We check the meklar and they're willing to trade Automated Repair Systems for antimatter torpedoes, if I had intentions of building huge ships now I would go for it, I'll leave it for now though.

2446: 1100 Bombus and 300 Earwig leave Uxmai towards Sol, plus some leftover outdated ships. After rechecking the human technology levels we realise that we've built many more bombers than needed, we keep most of them at home... For now. 

2447: the humans fold, that kid Ender that they entrusted their existence with peed in his pants. Adv. soil enrichment discovered!
We decide to send our ships towards the Mrrshan planets. We can always bounce back, but their technology is not much better than the humans.

2448: our new sister Queen of Sol shows the true meaning of friendship to the humans as we let them grow our larvae in their still alive bodies, thankful of the presents of Impulse drive and planetary shields X.

2449: aliens seem to be annoyed by our treatment of the humans. Bizzarre... That is the treatment reserved to our queens at their end of biological life?

2450: we bomb some cats - their huge design can't be easily taken down by our 2 shot merculite missiles, but surprisingly they retreat once our Bombus hit the planet and destroy all their bases. Is this an exploit in anyone's opinion? Not that I'd know how to avoid it.

With our fleets in orbit over Fieiras and Seidon, suddenly... There's a voting, I forgot about this completely! The Meklar must have started a war with the Sakkra without me realising. They vote for us, giving us an easy win.

Ok that was a bit anti-climactic, should I replay and refuse? I'd rather not frankly, the game is clearly won.

(June 22nd, 2020, 18:09)Arnuz Wrote: 2441: Meklar peace. We exchange Shield 3 for ISS with them. 

2443: Spies hit Sakkra: propulsion: inertial stabilizers. Sakkra, Mrrshan both offer peace. 

With this development we start plans for war. Earwig, after an earth wood eating insect, is armed with 2 merculite missiles, while Bombus - the superior bumblebee of course - sports an antimatter bomb and an inertia stabilizer.

To keep up our good neighbour relations we exchange neutron blasters for adv. eco restoration with the Mrrshans. Meklars and Sakkra already have it anyway. While at it we also exchange shield 3 for controlled toxic and range 5 for controlled inferno. Inferno for ECM2 with Sakkra. These are very nice presents to our friends! Also, they avoid having a good espionage roll wasted. 

We check the meklar and they're willing to trade Automated Repair Systems for antimatter torpedoes, if I had intentions of building huge ships now I would go for it, I'll leave it for now though.

2446: 1100 Bombus and 300 Earwig leave Uxmai towards Sol, plus some leftover outdated ships. After rechecking the human technology levels we realise that we've built many more bombers than needed, we keep most of them at home... For now. 

2447: the humans fold, that kid Ender that they entrusted their existence with peed in his pants. Adv. soil enrichment discovered!
We decide to send our ships towards the Mrrshan planets. We can always bounce back, but their technology is not much better than the humans.

2448: our new sister Queen of Sol shows the true meaning of friendship to the humans as we let them grow our larvae in their still alive bodies, thankful of the presents of Impulse drive and planetary shields X.

2449: aliens seem to be annoyed by our treatment of the humans. Bizzarre... That is the treatment reserved to our queens at their end of biological life?

2450: we bomb some cats - their huge design can't be easily taken down by our 2 shot merculite missiles, but surprisingly they retreat once our Bombus hit the planet and destroy all their bases. Is this an exploit in anyone's opinion? Not that I'd know how to avoid it.

With our fleets in orbit over Fieiras and Seidon, suddenly... There's a voting, I forgot about this completely! The Meklar must have started a war with the Sakkra without me realising. They vote for us, giving us an easy win.

Ok that was a bit anti-climactic, should I replay and refuse? I'd rather not frankly, the game is clearly won.

Take the win. This game is over. That's one nice thing about MOO - the game has a very short "mop-up" phase where you've won but don't have the actual victory condition.

That's not an exploit on the Cats retreating - you were trying to win the fight, and they decided to be stupid. If there's a logical reason for it, it's that you could probably destroy the world by just bombing the empty planet 9 times.

Yep, that's a nice clean win. If it were single-player and I wasn't busy I'd often push through until I'd got enough votes to win without any assistance, but I normally play on small, and it looks like we're ready for a new challenge ...

In the end, a good call to use missile boats to counter enemy gunships. Interesting that the AI fled from them - I wonder if the logic looks at the strength of the weapon, but doesn't take account of the limited number of shots?

GG all shades .

Bug power for the win! Nice game, everyone, and thanks for an entertaining read. thumbsup