Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

(July 15th, 2020, 21:34)Cruel100 Wrote: In the next turn: "Range check error."

The rampaging monster stack next to your capital contains more than 9 units.

...the monster generator is missing the "units:=units+1" to count how many were already generated so the 9 limit didn't work.
Fixed and reuploaded but you'll have to go back to the turn before the stack was generated because as long as it's there the game will keep crashing.

One thing I've been missing is to right-click on the spell book to have an explanation of the magic, and others explanations inside the "file of hero", like: ep., might, noble, cold immunity...

In the same previous file, if you right-click on the raiders next to the capital, you also have the "Range check error." too.

PS.: I posted before seeing the previous answer.

New reupload:

If you enter (with stack of heroes and Cavalry) the ancient temple on the right (with zombies) and click on the "auto"battle and yes and yes, you will have "Range check error." too.

I don't know why, on some occasions when the numeric keypad is pressed to the left (key number 4), the unit doesn't move and loses the movement of that turn.

After sell a building I get the message "you can only sell one building per turn". The message continues even when I try to sell another building on subsequent turns.

Attached Files
.zip   1.zip (Size: 94.26 KB / Downloads: 1)

Hi Seravy!

I've been playing Caster of Magic for maybe two years now. I love it and much prefer all the updates. I would be delighted to be a part of the Alpha of Caster of Magic II.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thank you, :-)

Quick bug find before I forget:

I used "goto" from my starting city (capitol) to visit a monster lair 2 squares away, I entered the combat and retreated successfully, but the unit ended up in my home city (it should be outside the lair I think)?

PS: what happened to all the wizard power graphs with army strength and magic power and spell power?  I guess it is "spy master," but it seems different.  Or maybe with so many wizards it is not possible to render?

Another bug: I got the prompt to visit a node and declined to enter, next turn I was on top of the node (screenshot attached)

Sometimes units will lose focus when they haven't used up their whole movement allowance (i.e. sprites moved once then moved on to another unit), let them exhaust first before moving on.

I couldn't quite figure out how to reproduce, but somehow when all your units were done moving and you selected one and hit ESC, the next turn would trigger, I don't want that, please remove (might want to manage some cities first).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

So, as I could understand, CoM2 is developed under Slitherine umbrella and will require Slitherine version of MoM (that doesn't work on WinXP)? I don't care about 'free download' and I'm ready to support the modding of MoM with something more solid than 'likes' and forum posts, but I still can't get why the almost 30-years-old game now can't run on 10-years-old OS?

Quote:PS: what happened to all the wizard power graphs with army strength and magic power and spell power? I guess it is "spy master," but it seems different. Or maybe with so many wizards it is not possible to render?

Click the button at the top of Historian (F4).

Quote:Sometimes units will lose focus when they haven't used up their whole movement allowance (i.e. sprites moved once then moved on to another unit), let them exhaust first before moving on.

Can't reproduce. This feature should have been added a few days ago and it works correctly for me.

Quote:I couldn't quite figure out how to reproduce, but somehow when all your units were done moving and you selected one and hit ESC, the next turn would trigger, I don't want that, please remove (might want to manage some cities first).

Couldn't find a way to reproduce this. The only way besides actually clicking the button or the N hotkey to activate "End Turn" is through the delayed button press that happens on the first turn when you have to select research before the button's effect is applied. I'll add a "clear rest turn research variable when loading a saved game" just in case it is related.

(July 16th, 2020, 08:41)Flagris Wrote: So, as I could understand, CoM2 is developed under Slitherine umbrella and will require Slitherine version of MoM (that doesn't work on WinXP)? I don't care about 'free download' and I'm ready to support the modding of MoM with something more solid than 'likes' and forum posts, but I still can't get why the almost 30-years-old game now can't run on 10-years-old OS?

No, CoM II is basically a new game that runs under windows, you could call it a remake, sequel or whatever, honestly, I don't think there is a proper word for this.
It doesn't require MoM files to run, but it uses most of the original art and will use the original music (once I get there to add it).
How, and in what form it will be published, I don't know, but Slitherine will be the publisher obviously. I doubt they'll want to sell it as another DLC when it's a new game and could be sold for more that way.

Oh by the way, Slitherine's MoM works on anything. What does not work is their launcher (or maybe the installer as well, idk, that really depends on where you bought it, Steam, GoG or Slitherine's own site). Once you installed the game, you can start it from Dosbox like it was the original because that's what it is, really. You can even move the files anywhere and it still works.

Minor findings and a bug:
-         First contact ! Magic Spirit stands next to another Wizards Settler, but it is not possible to contact him immediately on the Wizard screen. One has to wait until next turn.
-         Surveyor shows Max pop 30 !  With outpost/city on the same spot only 25.
-         Granary text in building screen says “Generates 2 food”, but it will be 4.
-         Item powers like True sight or Water Walking where not displayed in the Hero stats. Pathfinding from an Item replaced Constitution. Aha ! After the hero is “Hired”, the arrows do not scroll up and down anymore. Before pressing “Hire” they do it. Saving and reloading at this point caused range check error. Then the Invisible One disappeared from the overland map ...

-         Not a bug:  Obviously the application crashes if you accidentally press “Load” instead of “Save” in an unused slot. I would suggest to fill in scenarios before release. Those could have a copy in a folder somewhere so that overwriting would not matter.

Attached Files
.zip   20200716_crash_with_a_hero.zip (Size: 96.25 KB / Downloads: 1)

Quote:First contact ! Magic Spirit stands next to another Wizards Settler, but it is not possible to contact him immediately on the Wizard screen. One has to wait until next turn.

Feature. It was really silly to see the other player greet you after you already traded and make treaties.

Quote: Surveyor shows Max pop 30 ! With outpost/city on the same spot only 25.

Bug but might be useful to keep it that way? 30 max pop grows faster than 25 max pop even though the max is 25 in both cases.

Or display as "25+5"?