I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[Spoiler] Team slowwalk of the Reservoir Cats (Suleiman/Korea, slowcheetah + Catwalk)

[Image: reservoircats-2nd.jpg]

*** Theme song ***

This be the top secret planning and lurking thread for team slowwalk, consisting of slowcheetah and Catwalk. Opponents, get out or get shredded to shrapnel!

Your start:

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0568.JPG]

Caveats of "might change stuff" still apply. Settler has mobility, sentry, and is on a road (just the one tile). World size small, difficulty Prince.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Thanks commdore, looks like a tough first settling decision thumbsup.

Nice lush start! Out of the two PHs, the southern one seems far better:
. extra FP
. fresh water
. on river
. extra forest
. has one river tile less to utilize
. doesn't get ivory right away

What seems tough about it slowcheetah? Do you want to consider other options than the PHs? We may change if exploring reveals something good, of course.

Yeah on a closer second inspection I agree with the southern plains hill, definitely has some strong tiles when we have a low happycap, a lot of plains around though so will probably drop off late game. I was also initially thinking about getting the ivory in the first city, but the happiness cap doesn't really need to be increased before getting the first settler out.

Question, does the mobility promotion allow you to move onto a hill and still have movement left?

slowcheetah Wrote:Question, does the mobility promotion allow you to move onto a hill and still have movement left?

It's -1 terrain movement cost, so yes if it's a bare hill, I believe a forested hill is still 2mp.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Scoutingwise, I think the warrior should move NE, then maybe come back to the capital? (we'll see whats revealed to the hill SE of the warrior when borders pop). Im not sure with the scout though, maybe send him to the southernmost hill?

Commodore Wrote:It's -1 terrain movement cost, so yes if it's a bare hill, I believe a forested hill is still 2mp.

Thanks commodore.

Capital
I agree the capital isn't great long-term. The northern PH would have just as many plains tiles, though. I tend to focus short/medium run with the capital. We have 4 good tiles (FP, wheat, cows) and a number of decent filler tiles for a pop 6-7 capital in the early game. We'll be able to support a size 11 city with our food tiles + plains cottages or mines. Add a grassland farm and we're up to 13. Could be a very decent commerce city with fairly high production at the same time.

Exploration
This is a small world. Do we know anything else about it? I think our first priority should be to find out what kind of map this is, and possibly make contact with other players. I'm tempted to have the warrior keep scouting, that's a lot of extra scouting it'll be able to do. It's easy to churn out a warrior if another comes knocking, we'll have at least two turns notice if a warrior approaches. If we put one turn of production into a warrior around t10, we'll be completely safe. From a single warrior, anyway. I think we should in opposite directions with them to cover as much area as possible, NE with the warrior and SW with the scout. Warrior will probably break off NW or SE and return home after a while, as we'll need it for happiness eventually. But I'd feel pretty safe running without a warrior in the capital for quite some time, and I think the extra exploration will be well worth it.

Capital- I think we are both agreed (bar further info) on the southern plains Hill.

Exploration- The main tidbit commodore gave in the thread was that there was one main landmass but islands would matter. So i'm thinking finding a strong coastal site could be rather important, the great lighthouse should be a consideration as well (although stealing that from FDR might be tough).

Scout- I'd be tempted to go to the hill to the southeast of the scout rather than to the southwest, initially, just to reveal whats around the sheep so we can see whats around for a second city site.
Or would you rather circle the warrior around the immediate area, while sending the scout off on a beeline to meet people/find coast?