For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

RBP8 IT and Tech Issues Thread

This is the IT and Tech Issues Thread for RBP8, the second Realms Beyond pitboss game using the community developed "RB Mod." The planning thread can be found here.

The game is now live. If this is your first time connecting please read this entire post carefully. Text in Red will be of interest to veterans.

Access the game via DirectIP connection to sunrise089.dyndns.org:2057. No password is needed (nor will one permit a successful connection) when connecting to the game. Make 100% sure there are no spaces in the field or you'll get an error. Spaces love to crop up unexpectedly, so please double-check this before posting that you can't connect.

The first time a player logs into the game they will be asked to set and confirm a password. This is non-trivial to change, so please make sure you know what it is, can remember it, etc.

In-game you can play as normal. This game is played via simultaneous turns, and you can queue unit actions and builds like normal, even after you end turn. I get asked almost every game, so I'll note you press TAB to chat in-game. When you're done playing please log out via Exit to Main Menu, not Exit to Desktop (it creates connectivity/lag issues).

I have set a 36 hour timer per team for the first turn. Starting next turn the timer drops to 22 hours (approximating 24 real life hours). In the future the timer will be tweaked according to the wishes of the players and game admin.

This game uses Civstats to track the turns and other info. This game is here. If you want to register via Civstats and claim your civ the password for each civ is "sirian."

From now on, please let me know if you have any technical concerns in this thread. I can be reached infrequently via forum PM, and easily via email at sunrise089 at gmail dot com and IM at sunrise089 on either AIM or GChat.

Game Rules:

[rules go here]

Team Emails:

[emails go here]

Thanks sunrise! scooter made a really good set of instructions for using the mod here.

How long does it usually take to connect? It's said "Connected to host" for 2 minutes now.

EDIT: Oops, firewall issue.... My bad.

2 minutes is too long. I wonder, if you try to connect through your campus network (as I remember was the case on some other game a while ago) that probably blocks the ports needed here.

So I've been trying to log in. I can connect and pick a civilisation but once I get to the end of the final load screen the game crashes completely in the very brief crashing window I've seen a box saying something about the savefile not being protected.

I loaded the mod before logging in, and never even downloaded RB 2.01 so that shouldn't be a problem. Any advice?

Wrong version of the mod seems most likely explanation.

(October 31st, 2012, 12:00)plako Wrote: Wrong version of the mod seems most likely explanation.

That's what I thought but I have only ever downloaded 2.02. I'll delete the file and try scooters new link though.

Couple things I'd try:

1) Make sure you don't have the mod folder nested inside itself. Make sure the file path matches mine exactly. A common problem is you'll have something like /mods/RB Mod 2.0.2/RB Mod 2.0.2/.... If it's nested like that, you'll have a problem.
2) Restart your computer. I know it's basic, but I know my laptop occasionally will every now and then get possessed and repeatedly crash, and restarting fixes it.

1.) Do we restart now due to someone having contact with someone else already? (I'm against it personally because I don't see the EP-thing as that big a deal and there is no known-tech-bonus but whatever)

2.) If we restart, has someone informed sunrise about it + is Krill available to correct the issues?

3.) Could we please get an information here as soon as it is restarted?

I'm ok either way.