I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

RBP11 IT and Tech Issues Thread

This is the IT and Tech Issues Thread for RBP11, a 'greens' game featuring some players with less experience in the MP scene. The organizing thread for the game can be found here.

The game is now live. If this is your first time connecting please read this entire post carefully. Text in Red will be of interest to veterans.

Access the game via DirectIP connection to sunrise089.dyndns.org:2063. No password is needed (nor will one permit a successful connection) when connecting to the game. Make 100% sure there are no spaces in the field or you'll get an error. Spaces love to crop up unexpectedly, so please double-check this before posting that you can't connect.

The first time a player logs into the game they will be asked to set and confirm a password. This is non-trivial to change, so please make sure you know what it is, can remember it, etc.

In-game you can play as normal. This game is played via simultaneous turns, so you can queue unit actions and builds like normal, even after you end turn. I get asked sometimes, so I'll note you press TAB to chat in-game. When you're done playing please log out via Exit to Main Menu, not Exit to Desktop (which can create connectivity/lag issues).

I have set a 48 hour timer per team for the first turn. Starting next turn (if I remember wink) the timer will switch to approximate 24 real life hours based on how fast things are moving in game. Of course in the future the timer can be tweaked according to the wishes of the players.

This game uses Civstats to track the turns and other info. This game is here. If you want to register via Civstats and claim your civ the password for each civ is "sirian."

From now on, please let me know if you have any technical concerns in this thread. I can be reached infrequently via forum PM, and easily via email at sunrise089 at gmail dot com and IM at sunrise089 on either AIM or GChat.

[It looks like there is a pretty good overview in the organizing thread, but if want anything here like team emails or rules just let me know]

Is there a neutral party to whom we should send our ingame password in case we vanish off the face of the Earth and need to be replaced? (That one thread in General from a while back has me paranoid)
Playing: PB11
(March 3rd, 2012, 21:07)antisocialmunky Wrote: Civilization Economics: You have 1 Cow. You build some pastures around it to feed your people. The population grows uncontrollably. You enslave everybody and work half of them to death.

Thank you kindly for setting this all up, Sunrise.

You can probably post it behind spoilers in your thread.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

(May 13th, 2013, 20:59)Sisu Wrote: Is there a neutral party to whom we should send our ingame password in case we vanish off the face of the Earth and need to be replaced? (That one thread in General from a while back has me paranoid)

No admin/outside organizer this game?

If you're nervous about putting your password in your thread (and I know the feeling...) you can send it to me. I don't promise to conduct an exhaustive replacement search, but I'll at least be around.

Do either of these matter?

[Image: T0-PlayerMod.JPG]

[Image: T0-LoggingEnabled.jpg]

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

I was wondering the same. I was surprised that I was able to log in, but I can do a clean install if necessary.

Edit: Surprised in the sense that I was able to connect, not that my h4x were detected.

Are you running any mods? Someone discussed using a visual mod in the setup thread but I don't remember who. I'm mostly worried about anything that could screw up the game save, if that's possible. Someone around here should be able to inform us about whether that (or anything else relevant) is possible.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

I have BUFFY installed in what I thought was a separate install, but it seems that SOMETHING is causing that message. I'll just reinstall and hope that I haven't caused a larger issue.

I've disabled logging in my .ini (LoggingEnabled=0). Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

- suttree