Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Magic items added in Treasure

Sup forum, long time listener, first time caller mischief

I had in mind to write up a somewhat-concise wikia article on lair treasure, and I have reached a point where there is not a whole lot more I can do on my own to research this subject in MoM without knowledge of the code. ILSe, RJAK, and Twilight have been a great help to me in getting details right in other articles for the game, and I thought I would come here to see if I could get some advice on treasure.

Please be aware that the wiki I'm submitting to, though 650 pages, is still plodding through the vanilla (1.31) ruleset and it seems like we aren't yet coming through with patch info until things either get really tidy or lots of people suddenly start showing up and editing that information in. So, 1.31.

The issue in 1.31 is that the seeding of items seems, well... strange. The Prima Guide is inaccurate on a bunch of specifics, and this is one of them; it advises that any item below 3000 mana is fair game for normal loot, and that this is uncapped in the case of acquiring a "failed special" (an artifact discovered which replaces a retort or spellbook that fails to show up can be any of the 250 items).

This is of course bugged and not true, but it appears that certain items from the 250 will never appear in loot due to properties they have. I knew this from years of play, though having done some botting in the game this week some trends became rather stark (but still without me being able to say something conclusive about A LOT of items). I popped ten lairs in different maps 1000-2000 times apiece, and certain plain items are heavily favored by the RNG. Items with colored properties tend to be far less frequent. And some items just seem arbitrarily impossible to find. Book restrictions (as enforced in insecticide) are not evident. General summary and lists located here.

Anyhow the goal will either be to provide someone's exalted explanation of HOW the game selects items in treasure, or a basic list of these items. Any help is appreciated; for instance, if you've seen an item I've listed in the above link as unsure or prohibited, definitely pipe in here...

Hey SpearmanD92R! Welcome to RB! smile

I remember that kyrub fixed a bug that the value of items was completely random in 1.31 instead of related to the value of the lair.

A failed special is not unlimited. Usually it's a fairly lame item, especially when you're ready for lairs that yield 2-books.

I agree that a lot of the items on the list just never show up or only very rarely.
At this time I think there are added requirements, like required books, but I haven't gotten around to it to look it up in the code.
Anyway, there is data related to the items in their lbx file that suggests that.
--I like ILSe

(October 23rd, 2013, 19:10)I like Serena Wrote: Hey SpearmanD92R! Welcome to RB! smile

Thanks!

If you have on-hand your lbx tool (was it yours?) that would help, link in the sticky is dead.

Back before Insecticide there was some bug where you'd get enormous items out of quite small lairs, I used to see things like the ring of mrad quite frequently.

I never liked how there is little variety in the low-level items. It seems you either get a super-powered item or the same old junk.

(October 24th, 2013, 08:34)shirts Wrote: I never liked how there is little variety in the low-level items. It seems you either get a super-powered item or the same old junk.
There's not a lot of variety possible for low-level items, since the 'interesting' properties start at cost 100 (if you think Resist Elements is interesting) and there isn't a lot below cost 500.

(October 24th, 2013, 02:28)Anthony Wrote: Back before Insecticide there was some bug where you'd get enormous items out of quite small lairs, I used to see things like the ring of mrad quite frequently.

Yes, see OP. The item rewards do not have limits.

When I was doing bot research, the bracer of mrad showed up in normal lootpiles with pretty much average chances, at least in cases where it was possible for it to show up. Exactly why an item doesn't have at least a chance to show up in every lootpile is the kind of question i had in mind when posting this thread.

Also it's one of many items that were never rewarded as a "failed special," maybe since like I said those seemed to give an even more restricted selection of items (though the selection appeared different with each lair).

Looking at the section on botted magic items, I know I have seen the Helm of Trollish Might as random treasure (non-insecticide), so there may be something going on with your bot. I wonder if the color of a lair has any effects on what you can find it in.

(October 23rd, 2013, 19:29)SpearmanD92R Wrote: If you have on-hand your lbx tool (was it yours?) that would help, link in the sticky is dead.

The LBX tool that I have at hand, is the Tweaker, which is mine.
There is a dedicated sub forum for it within this forum.
If you connect and click Show Tables, it lists all items with their properties.
For reference, I have copied and pasted the list into Excel and put it here: ITEMDATA.xls.

In the meantime, I've looked up the mechanism in the code.
I can confirm that each item has required spellbooks as property.
The excel sheet shows the required minimum number of books in each color before you can find the item in a lair.
Beyond that you get a random item picked from the 250 available items (that are not already in the game).
The last condition is that the cost of the item is between 50% and 100% of the value that was registered for the item at world creation. In 1.31 that mechanism is broken.

Btw, Implode created an LBXEXTRACT tool that mostly extracts all bitmaps from the LBX files.
It doesn't retrieve what you want though.
Since his site went down and I still have the download, I have just uploaded it for reference.
I've put it here: lbxextract1.2.zip.
--I like ILSe

(October 24th, 2013, 16:58)I like Serena Wrote: .
I can confirm that each item has required spellbooks as property.
The spellbook requirements are to create the item; are you sure they apply to finding it as well? I've seen Monster Masher, which has spellbook requirements that are actually impossible to achieve (2 sorcery, 5 death, 6 life).