I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Zalson plays one turn at a time [COMPLETE]

I've been reading the Pitboss threads lately and have been feeling the CIV itch. However, playing a pitboss game isn't an option because of the time commitment. That, and my skills need a tune up.

So, I've decided to play a turn a day of a custom Single Player to get my game up to snuff before possibly joining a PBEM game.

The CIV:

Random (Saladin of Arabia)

Obviously, this would not be a popular choice in a standard multiplayer set up. Spiritual is strong, but Protective is not. Arabia is also not the strongest civilization; the Madrassa is okay as a unique building; the Camel Archer is not.

I also don't have the greatest track record with Saladin...

Anyway, I tend to have restartitis, so we're rolling the first game I came up with.

The settings:

Monarch
Continents (probably wouldn't be played MP)
Temperate Climate
Med Sea Level

Ancient
Normal Game Speed

Options:
No Barbs
Aggressive AI
No Tech Trading
No Vassal States
No Random Events

Here's the start.

[Image: screen-shot-2016-05-07-at-10-24-23-am.png]
"My ancestors came here on the Magna Carta!"

www.earnestwords.com

As you can see in this opening screenshot, the capital of Arabia is quite lush. Gems, Spices, Silks, Cows, and FP.

Knowing me, this will the only good city I have available.

I also had set my opening build to warrior and my opening research to Meditation. My initial rational was: I have a commerce bonus and am likely to get a religion.

However, on thinking it over last night, Saladin does start with the wheel. While my workers will be useless for the first 5 turns or so (it'll take 20 turns to research hunting then animal husbandry), we can:

T 16:road cow
T 17: road cow
T 18: move forest
T 19: road forest
T 20: road forest
T 21: pasture cow

That's not optimal worker labor, of course, but it's better than nothing.

This would appear to be why people wouldn't use Arabia on Ancient starts. The only starting techs that might be worse would be ... Spiritual/Fishing -- with no available water.

www.earnestwords.com

And here's today's turn. Rather than wait for any "lurker" input, I committed to my choice and decided to go for AH right off the bat. Snowball game, and all that.

3960 BC: Hunting due in 5 turns; 14 turns to first worker.

Warrior is exploring the coast, circling counter-clockwise back to the capital and that goody hut.

[Image: screen-shot-2016-05-07-at-10-37-50-am.png]

Let me know if I'm doing anything dumb. I'll play and post again tomorrow.

www.earnestwords.com

What's the map size ? Worker and AH first seems like the best option

I'd start from mining to use gems as a boost for early teching. Saladin has so bad starting techs so you need to catch up.

If you dont want to use worker turns for roading early game then consider growing to 2 before worker.

That's actually a great idea, OT4E:

Hunting: T6
Worker: @ T15
AH: T17 (forgot about the pre-req bonus)
Mining: T24

Hunting: T6
Mining: T13
Worker: T15
Move to gems: t16
Mine Gems: t19
AH: T23(?)

Route 1 gets me some extra food and wastes more worker labor (about 3 turns); Route 2 gets me AH 1 turn sooner, + an improved gems.

I think that's better.

www.earnestwords.com

teching Agriculture -> Hunting -> AH is something to consider.

your capital has very poor food and a desirable, but negative food, gems on top of that, so you'll definitely be struggling for growth. thus you'll want to farm that floodplain at some point soon, which will take 7 turns. i can't check in game right now, but I believe, from the numbers you posted, that Agr->Hunting->AH should finish EOT T23, because of the double-prereq bonus on AH for having both Agr and Hunting, which would have it ready in time to improve the cows. after that, mining should be ready by the time you can move onto the gems, after which you can either plant a grassland farm to the SW of the gems, or perhaps start roading towards your new city, which will likely be to the east somewhere, along the river.

Can you post the 4000 BC save?

Once the semester finishes in about two weeks, I might have time to try this one out. I have a lot of single-player experience (I've memorized a bunch of AI personalities and have posted lots of detailed writeups of games on CivFanatics) and like you, I'm getting the urge to play again (but multiplayer, though great in many ways, also has its drawbacks).

(May 8th, 2016, 01:41)DMOC Wrote: Can you post the 4000 BC save?

Once the semester finishes in about two weeks, I might have time to try this one out. I have a lot of single-player experience (I've memorized a bunch of AI personalities and have posted lots of detailed writeups of games on CivFanatics) and like you, I'm getting the urge to play again (but multiplayer, though great in many ways, also has its drawbacks).

Here ya go.

The nice thing about playing one turn at a time is that I can defer decisions like: mining, agriculture, hunting, animal husbandry until I actually to have to make those decisions.

In the meantime:

3920 BC: Moved warrior. There is water.

[Image: screen-shot-2016-05-08-at-9-21-47-pm.png]

Attached Files
.zip   Zalson plays 1 turn at a time BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave.zip (Size: 29.76 KB / Downloads: 0)

www.earnestwords.com

I missed a post yesterday but with good reason: I double-moved the goody hut!

And as a reward for my dastardly deed, I received a map. Of the ocean.

The early turns are quite boring.

www.earnestwords.com