Game Speed: Normal
Difficulty: King
Civilization & Leader: Catherine of France
World Size: Standard
Opponents: Seven
Rules: Standard
Victory: Culture
Version: Second Patch

The goal in this game is to demonstrate France's superior civilization through a cultural victory. However, Catherine disdains the bourgeois approach of massing Theatre districts, museums, and artifacts to generate tourism. Only wonders and fine chateaus will do!

Variant rules:

* The player may only derive culture from two sources: wonders and the unique French chateau tile improvement. All other sources of culture are prohibited! This outlaws monuments, culture-based religious beliefs/pantheons, cultural city-states, trade routes including culture, and policy cards that produce culture. Theatre districts are forbidden, which of course also prohibits all of the buildings that are constructed on Theatre districts.

How can the player win a cultural victory under these conditions? The primary source will be wonders; France gets doubled tourism from all wonders, and this ability should be needed in this game. Great Works themselves are not prohibited, only the Theatre districts traditionally used to generate them, which may provide some additional tourism. If the game continues into the later stages, please note as well that seaside resorts and natural parks do not produce culture, only tourism, and are therefore fair game. There are also a number of lategame techs and civics and Great People that boost tourism which the AI is unlikely to target.

* The player may not declare war against another foreign civ or city state. If another civilization declares war, the player is allowed to defend themeselves. However, any foreign cities captured or razed are subject to a scoring penalty (see below).

* You may not trade your own cities to the AI.

Custom Scoring:

2 points: EACH wonder constructed.

50 points: Cultural victory achieved on Turn 200 or earlier
40 points: Cultural victory achieved on Turn 201 to Turn 250
30 points: Cultural victory achieved on Turn 251 to Turn 300
20 points: Cultural victory achieved on Turn 301 to Turn 350
10 points: Cultural victory achieved after Turn 351

-4 points: EACH foreign city captured or razed (including city states). This includes cities gained via the diplo screen.
-10 points: EACH foreign city captured with a Theatre district present. If you think it's worth the penalty, you can feel free to use the Theatre district as desired afterwards.

Note that Bolshoi Theatre and Broadway require a Theatre district adjacency and are therefore unbuildable under normal circumstances. All other wonders are fair game. Chichen Itza-powered rainforest tiles are OK.

[Image: EPIC1-2.jpg]

Closing Date: Monday, January 23rd. Game results must be posted within 48 hours of the game's closing date. Note that this is a scored event, which means NO SPOILERS about your game while playing. Do not post information about your game while it is in play, or afterwards until the finish date. The time to post reports will be on the closing day, where everyone will share the results of their individual games. The Epics are Single Player events, and we take the no spoilers rule seriously. Good luck!

Starting Savegame File
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

Two quick ruleset questions on city trading, Sullla:

Do we take the -4 hit for cities that we can convince the AI to give up via diplo?

Are we allowed to trade cities away to the AI? I remember that you mentioned that you thought that that was cheesy, but I don't think we have an banned exploit list.

Good questions. Cities acquired from the AI via diplomacy are also subject to the -4 scoring penalty. The player is not allowed to sell cities or give them away on the diplo screen; I remember too well trading away a city for a bunch of Great Works in the succession game. I will write this into the initial post.

Hi Sullla Thanks for setting it up.

Another rules-question: What exactly is meant with no cultural city-states?.
You do get an automatic envoy if you are the first to meet them. And there is always a chance that you fulfil a quest for them like triggering an eureka (sometimes even by village ).

Another good question. Do not deliberately assign envoys to a cultural city state. If it happens by accident or there's a quest that's unavoidable, then don't worry about it.

Pillaging quarries and theatre districts for culture is okay, right?

Another ruleset question: if we capture a city with a theatre district are we required to raze it? 

Can we build Bolshoi and Broadway if we capture a theatre district? Can we use the theatre district and the buildings already in it to store artifacts etc?

And another question: I believe foreign trade routes can give culture if the destination city has a theater district or is a cultural city state. Are those off limits as well?
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

lol Sulla you have a lot of people thinking laterally here tongue

With the cultural city states it is unlikely but not impossible to become suzarin not assigning to them. But without theatre districts it will at most be an extra 2 Culture in the cap.

What about tile improvements. I assume the things like silk that give culture is ok, but what about the culture giving pantheons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(December 23rd, 2016, 18:26)pindicator Wrote: And another question: I believe foreign trade routes can give culture if the destination city has a theater district or is a cultural city state. Are those off limits as well?

And with some civic cards. Also there's the culture per district built card too off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk