I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Welcome to Realms Beyond Civilization!

To those of you who are new, and to all of the returning players, welcome! We're glad to have you here.

We're happy to announce the opening of our Civilization IV section, but please do watch out for wet paint (or at least let me know if you find something not working correctly).

With our grand-reopening comes an announcement, which should do quite a bit to explain why it's been so quiet around here lately. Please read our updated Welcome page for more information.

readeeknodhammer (what you might look like as you read!)

We've been working on this for a long, long time. Thanks for stopping by!

-Griselda

I know all of the testers were probably reimbursed in some way or another, if by only the feeling of accomplishment in helping to make the newest version better than the other iterations of the series, but I just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work all of you did with this. smile

It looks like Civ4 will be a fantastic game that stands on it's own merit not simply as another rehash with new paint and a few bits of chrome here and there but a new model entirely with improved performance, than takes the genre one step further than it had been before.

Now I'll admit this is a bit premature since I have yet to play the game, but from all the previews I've seen, including Sulla's, plus knowing how good some of the folks here are at gaming, I have no doubt this thing will be a blast. So here's to all of you who helped with this, and hats off to Firaxis s well. It's nice to know a development company can not only enlist some of the top players, but unlike Blizzard, actually seems to listen to those gamers and work to make their product better.smile

Now why does Nov 4th have to be so far away.. *sighs*.

New slogan: Firaxis, the anti-Blizzard developer! lol
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

I'd like to echo Ozy in giving a big Thank You to the members of this community who have been working on Civ IV, it makes me anticipate the game that much more! I figured Sirian would have something to say about the new version (whether Firaxis wanted to hear it or not! wink ), but it's also great to see some familiar names like Charis and T-Hawk that I haven't heard from in a while. Hopefully that means they'll be able to come up for air and play some SGs again!

I also like the idea of the twin tracks of Epics and Adventures, both to encourage new participants, and (if I'm understanding the concept correctly) allow for some quick games when RL commitments prevent me from taking on an Epic. There were many Epic concepts that intrigued me, and several I even started, but often ran out of time before I could complete the game (much less have time for an Epic report). So I like the option to join the group for a quick jog, when I don't have time to run the full Marathon! smile

Justus_II Wrote:I figured Sirian would have something to say about the new version (whether Firaxis wanted to hear it or not! wink )...

Nope. The "no spoilers" rule is sacred around here. smile

I don't want to steal anybody's fun. It's a new game. I hope many will opt to explore it for themselves. 8)

The good news is that after 19 months with it, I'm not anywhere close to tiring of it yet.

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.

Sirian Wrote:The good news is that after 19 months with it, I'm not anywhere close to tiring of it yet.

- Sirian

Is that a record for any game other than Descent? lol

Ozymandous Wrote:Is that a record for any game other than Descent? lol

No. My MOO1 Infatuation lasted eleven years. Railroad Tycoon 1 lasted six years (until I finally broke the scoring mechanism on ALL FOUR maps). I'd still be willing to play Diablo (the original). And there are others.

Ask me again in ten years. Then we'll see if Civ4 moves up in to second place (behind Descent!) lol

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.

Here's an expert Civ tip for power users: system administrators or home (single) users.

If you open your Shortcut to Civ4, and you paste the following command line parameter at the end of the command line, and Apply it, Civ4 will keep your screenshots, logs, ini files, and other custom user files in the Civ4 directory (instead of under My Games, where it defaults).

/ALTROOT=.

This will automatically move any files already created, and if you execute Civ4 without this command (if you remove the command from the command line) then it will move them back to My Games folder.

I find this useful, because I handle a lot of screenshots and other files and don't want them put on my C: drive (my games are installed on another drive!)

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.

@ Sirian

Cuban Isolationists? Looking forward to it... Hopefully you get a non-tundra start lol

I just signed up here having found this place from the CivFanatics succession game threads. I'm trying to learn how to win a game on Prince and I thought the succession games would be a good place to see how games get played at higher levels and see where I'm going wrong. I got linked to here and really like some of the variants that are used for games on this site.