I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Poll: Map K1 (ss shown) or K5 (Krill's new one)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
K1
0%
0 0%
K5
81.25%
13 81.25%
Either
18.75%
3 18.75%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Pitboss 8

The idea certainly appeals, and yet I'm already associated with pbem45 as well. So... mmmaybe.
Participant in:
PBEM45, "Greens" Division (Sury of Carthage)
RB Demogame 1 pirate

I'm fine with both those refinements. Though I'd say whoever it is (assuming it's someone experienced) gets final say so you don't have days spent arguing which is the 5th or 6th best capital.

Intrested, but I need to know more detailed settings before making the real desicion. I've strong preference for RBmod and random only lightly edited map. I don't like much the idea of ranking people/starts.

I can join a team, if anyone is interested. I can't be the dedicated turn player, though.

I'd like to junior partner with someone-I won't be able to take on the main turn player role until late December, and then will probably be busy from February to early May, but I could definitely talk, strategize, and do simple microplans even during those times and could play, etc. during winter and summer breaks.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

i wouldn't mind partnering up, if Merovech wants we could partner up. it would fit well as i'm computer less for two or three weeks over the christmas/new year break

(October 24th, 2012, 03:59)ad hoc Wrote: i wouldn't mind partnering up, if Merovech wants we could partner up. it would fit well as i'm computer less for two or three weeks over the christmas/new year break

This could very well work. Will you still have Internet access so we can talk during that time?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Okay, looks like there is a decent pool of interest, settings for consideration:

RBmod yes/no?
Random w/ filter? (I'd say with RB mod much less need for start/leader repositioning, in any case such determinations ought to be made player-agnostic).
Script/map touching? I like Big and Small, maybe add luxuries for poor Australia.
Scout-only starts?
Difficulty? I favor Emperor

Things that are pretty important to the format:
No Tech Trading. Please.
Barbs!
CTON, no banter
Events!
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(October 24th, 2012, 01:02)Ichabod Wrote: I can join a team, if anyone is interested. I can't be the dedicated turn player, though.

After some PMing, Team BRickabod is officially signing on ready to kick names and take ass! dancing

And we have the best possible name combo ever, so everyone else might as well concede.

(October 24th, 2012, 11:28)Commodore Wrote: Okay, looks like there is a decent pool of interest, settings for consideration:

RBmod yes/no?
Random w/ filter? (I'd say with RB mod much less need for start/leader repositioning, in any case such determinations ought to be made player-agnostic).
Script/map touching? I like Big and Small, maybe add luxuries for poor Australia.

I think after PB5, all of these are strongly connected. I really like the changes to civs/traits in RB Mod, and would prefer to use the mod so that we can roll truly random combos without having to have that edited or having ot add a balancing system to the map. However, this does not work with Big & Small; even with adding luxuries, it dooms Australians by how water is not strong at all due to whip nerf. I agree with the concept of un-nerfing whipping for that purpose, and leaving the alternative buffs to act for the balancing; however, I'm not holding out hope that that would be done, and/or done soon enough for this game.

So, IF we play with RBMod, we must have a script that will give everyone roughly equal chances at having enough land to not be a non-factor. I think if that is done, then I would be fine with RBMod. (And hopefully make it worthwhile enough that Scooter will still play. mischief )

Quote:Scout-only starts?
Difficulty? I favor Emperor

I'm not too bothered about these, sounds fine to me.

Quote:Things that are pretty important to the format:
No Tech Trading. Please.
Barbs!
CTON, no banter
Events!

I could be persuaded for TT if there is no TB, but otherwise agree with all of these.